Which EA grapple to buy?

WildThing

Mar 8, 2018
New London, NH
Team K:

I need a grapple for my L4760. The EA's seem to have a great reputation, and look like the bang-for-the-buck choice.

My question - which should I get - the single jaw or the double jaw?

My lot has many downed trees and much brush and slash for clean up. However, it also has a lot of rocks that I will be moving to make walking and tractor paths.

With no basis for my supposition, it seems like the single jaw in the middle would be better for picking up a rock, but the double jaw might be better for logs and brush.

Any opinions?

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
I have the EA root rake grapple with one piece lid. That is the only way they were made when I bought it. Mine has two cylinders and I have considered cutting a section out of the center of the lid to make it two piece lid. There are times when gripping brush and such that two independent lids would grip better. Either way, you will love the grapple.:)

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
I used a skid steer with a double lid grapple for a month while clearing 1.5 acres for a home. I now have a single lid on my B2650 purely due to size and weight factors. If my lift capacity allowed for it I’d have a double lid. It does help grip logs and brush a lot better. Though I’ve learned how to get the single lid to work just fine. Rocks just position it under which ever lid you want if both won’t touch it. No problem with single or double lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
I have there 66" single on a L4400. For brush the single is good. For objects like cut wood I think the dual would be better as each side may be different. Logs again the single would be fine. I chose the single for mainly brush and it has fewer moving parts. Very well built.

Attachments

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I have the single lid and I have used it on brush, logs and rocks and it still amazes me how much work you can do with the grapple. I used it all day yesterday around a huge burn pile and it is a beast. I purchased the 60 inch wicked root grapple and opted for the single lid due to price concerns and weight. Whichever you choose you will be happy as that will be the one you will learn to use. I've found that the hardest things to pick up are the big stumps from pushed over trees. I'm getting pretty good at moving those also.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I used a skid steer with a double lid grapple for a month while clearing 1.5 acres for a home. I now have a single lid on my B2650 purely due to size and weight factors. If my lift capacity allowed for it I’d have a double lid. It does help grip logs and brush a lot better. Though I’ve learned how to get the single lid to work just fine. Rocks just position it under which ever lid you want if both won’t touch it. No problem with single or double lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good to hear! I bought the double lid and am very happy with it. But I can't advise someone on which way to go unless I have experience with the single, which I don't. Thanks for posting!