Which Blade to buy for snow

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
County Line for $330.00
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/countylinereg;-sub-compact-rear-blade-5-ft?cm_vc=IOPDP

Agri Supply for $260.00
http://www.agrisupply.com/grader-blade-swing-tilt/p/72508/

or...

Farm King for $405.00 http://www.snowvac.com/allied_blades_03.php

I can easily pick up the County Line unit at TSC, so no shipping. I may occasionally use it for very light earth work but will primarily want a rear blade for the Maryland snow (usually wet/heavy) to work my 800' driveway and parking areas. We're expecting a colder snowier winter. During the 2010 snomegeddon event we were stranded for a week.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
By the time you figure in shipping from agrisupply, you'll be about the same as tsc. Might as well go with the one from tsc. Theres really no reason on the grader blade to go top of the line unless your gonna be using it all the time. I made up a basket for the one i have to add extra weight and it works great. Mines about 25 years old, mid quality, no paint left and still works great for what i need.

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Thanks Daren. I am leaning towards the TSC unit, if for no other reason than I can examine it and see that's it's built well. I guess, however, that these big differences in prices may reflect real quality differences re: ease of use and longevity. BTW, I have a 50 lb suitcase weight I was planning on figuring a way to attach.

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Unless you just have to have something new check Craig's List and pick up one for 125-150.00

Wish I could find something in that price range around here. I've looked through craigslist and not finding any steals.

tcbro

Equipment
L185, Woods L59 mower, rear blade, L-225, Kubota FEL
Mar 10, 2010
Coatesville, PA
I plow snow with a County Line 60" rear blade from TSC on my L185. It works well until the third or forth snow and the berms start to get too high to plow the fresh stuff over. Not the blade's fault, it is solid.

Tom

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Do you guys think the 72" would be too much for my BX2360? I figured if it's angled I'll need the extra width. Looking at getting the Countyline unit.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
72" will absolutely be too much for the BX. I have a 72" on my B9200 and its too much with anything over 6" of snow.

Additionally, I have bent my countyline 72" with my little B9200 and turf tires. Granted I have done some serious stuff with it, but I was surprised the Kubota had enough torque/pulling power with turf tires to bend the plow. My plow is now in a gentle arc, bowed back from the middle on both sides. I will eventually jack it straight with chains and add in some reinforcement with angle iron or I beam when I get time.

If you're only doing snow, use a 60" for your BX and you'll be good. It likely won't have enough traction to bend the plow.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The 60" is all i want on mine but it's only 2wd, so depending on where i'm at, what i'm dragging i do my fair share of spinning. 72" should be fine for what you are doing since you have 4wd. Might have issues grading dirt with it and as big of a bite is.

I only have 2 to 3 snow falls a year, and being a gravel road, i end up back dragging the blade any way. Found out the first time i did the road when i started dragging the gravel too. I just throw some rocks on the basket so it won't ride up over the snow. And usually have to fine tune the angle with the center link

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. I chose to go with the CountyLine 72" to use in conjunction with my FEL for snowy days. It's in the back of the Suburban. A new TSC opened today in my neighborhood. I'll see how it feels on the tractor tomorrow.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I have the 5ft from TSC on my BX and it's been great (after painting it Kubota Orange :)! I'm in NH so we get a decent amt of snow. If its less than 5" I pull it no problem. If its between 5" and 12" I flip it in reverse and push like a dozer. The blade is good up to about 12" of snow and after that its just to short to handle it and I use the FEL for the bulk and the backblade for cleanup. What I can tell you is to adjust the top link as the angle of approach makes a huge difference in how well it clears ice.

I also use the blade in the summer and have really beat the snot out of it with no issues.

MXBX

Equipment
B2601
Jun 20, 2014
Maryland
I put on the 6' blade today and I think it's going to work fine. I get that the top link adjustment and angle of attack is super important. You guys really make getting into a new hobby/work easier than it might be otherwise.

Today I finished my path (blue stone) to the new shed. Unfortunately, some of my attachments may have to hang out in the weather but my BX and MMM and FEL will be comfortable in their new home. Just need to wait for the siding and roof then I can install the electric and be good to go.

[/IMG]