Wheel weights question and filled tires

jerry746

Apr 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Have 2 new BX tractors in the family that we had the dealer add liquid to the rear tires before delivery. The BX2370 has a FEL and my brother-in-law wanted to also add bolt on wheel weights to his tractor. I read in manual that this is not a good idea and may cause transmission problems, Our old John Deere tractors had both type weight for over 20 years with no problems. Anyone out there with BX tractors using both liquid and bolt on rear tire weights?? Anyone that did both and actually had transmission problems?? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
This does not specifically answer your question, but in another thread someone asked Kubota a question about why a BX25 was not supposed to have loaded tires with the backhoe on. The answer was the tractor drive train is protected from damage by wheel slippage. If you ballast to much the wheels will not slip and the transmission could be damaged under heavy load.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have 2 new BX tractors in the family that we had the dealer add liquid to the rear tires before delivery. The BX2370 has a FEL and my brother-in-law wanted to also add bolt on wheel weights to his tractor. I read in manual that this is not a good idea and may cause transmission problems, Our old John Deere tractors had both type weight for over 20 years with no problems. Anyone out there with BX tractors using both liquid and bolt on rear tire weights?? Anyone that did both and actually had transmission problems?? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
I'll bite = first, what size weights he thinking about using? I imagine that those "new" weights will cost a pretty penny, has he considered a ballast box? Much better use of physics. And since wheel weights and ballast box both are weight being pulled by the transmission - I dont think either will be harmful. The BX series is use to haul around that 700 lbs BH without any problems!:)

Loaded tires are not carried by the tractor nor the transmission per say - but do provide extra pressure on the tires for grip and counterbalance.

My point about the physics is simple math.....if you are trying to pick up a heavy load on the FEL and the rears get light on grip - loading and weights on the rear tires will help, since this is about 4 feet behind the front pivot point (front tires) - but with a ballast box, every pound you placed on the box will be better used as a counterbalance due to the fact that it is further from the pivot point, say......6 feet ! SO if you place another 150 pounds in weight on the rear wheels, the ballast box could be 300 lbs minimum and be 3 times more effective!!!! ( 150 @ 4' = 600 ft/lbs as apposed to 300 @ 6' = 1800 ft/lbs!)

And taking the ballast box off at any time will not be a PITA to boot!:D:)

Ballast boxes can be had for any cat 1 machine or you can make your own!

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
With my limited experience, 6 months, I would recommend you start filled tires and without the wheel weights. Most of the time the filled tires have been enough when using the fel on my BX. I can't lift the loaded rear tires by trying to raise the fel bucket. I can lift the rear tires by rolling the bucket into too much load. So if I am trying to pull stumps or transport heavy loads with the fel I attach my 250# rear blade. As 85Hokie pointed out the rear blade or ballast box sets way back and provides a lot of extra leverage. Plus you don't have to carry the extra weight around all the time when not using the fel. Don't forget you will probably be picking up less weight with the BX then you were picking up with your old JD.

jerry746

Apr 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the input guys. The bolt on weights he was going to try are off one of the John Deere's we sold. They are cast iron 62.5 lbs each wheel and if we measured right should bolt right on the BX wheels without sticking out more than about an inch. I'll pass this info on to him and let him figure it out. He looks at it as weight is weight and shouldn't make a difference if its being towed or on the wheels. Since our tractors are new my guess is he won't do anything that will void the warranty right now.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ok I ll jump in,, I have both filled rear tires AND wheel weights on my BX. The weights are 75 pounds each, filled tires another what 50 pounds for liquid, plus my fat old arse so there's about 500 plus pounds back there. And have had no issues at all,, Remember the BH weighs a bunch more than that, and other than the undercarriage for the hoe everything else is the same on these tractors. When you fill the tires and load wheel weights you are not putting any weight on the axels or bearings as the wheel takes up the load. A ballast box will give you another option, though in MHO it is something else to trip over when not being used.

jimadd

May 26, 2015
SC
I just filled my BX's tires after having it nose dive on me. And yes, the book on it does say not to use ballasted tires when the backhoe is on it, but I doubt you will find anyone that removes it to use the backhoe....least of all me. The other thing, when using washer fluid as I did, you get right at 100pds per tire of weight. Made things a little nicer....no more nose dives.

jerry746

Apr 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok I ll jump in,, I have both filled rear tires AND wheel weights on my BX. The weights are 75 pounds each, filled tires another what 50 pounds for liquid, plus my fat old arse so there's about 500 plus pounds back there. And have had no issues at all,, Remember the BH weighs a bunch more than that, and other than the undercarriage for the hoe everything else is the same on these tractors. When you fill the tires and load wheel weights you are not putting any weight on the axels or bearings as the wheel takes up the load. A ballast box will give you another option, though in MHO it is something else to trip over when not being used.
Hey Skeets, thanks for the input and info. How long have you been running both type weights?? I see you're listed as Washington PA. Our new tractors are actually in Bentleyville, Pa about 15 miles east of you. These Kubota's seem to be built better than my old JD and it ran 20 years with both type weights. If you drive with common sense I don't see what the issue could be.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I just filled my BX's tires after having it nose dive on me. And yes, the book on it does say not to use ballasted tires when the backhoe is on it, but I doubt you will find anyone that removes it to use the backhoe....least of all me. The other thing, when using washer fluid as I did, you get right at 100pds per tire of weight. Made things a little nicer....no more nose dives.

you remember off the top of your head - how many gallons of washer fluid you stuck in each tire? I would look it up - but since you already have done it ????
12 gallons each?:)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Jerry I have filled the tires on every small tractor I have ever had, and I keep reusing the weights from one to the next.
I think I found them at a Cub dealer, Bull international in Wash. way long time ago. I filled the tires with the cheapest anti freeze I could find 50/50 ,, yeah I know the environment and all,, bad me,,,lol .
And the weights went on right after I got the BX home, R4 tires and have never had a problem with the 2360.
And if you remember the BIG SNOW we had several years ago, I ran off the gen set for 13 days, my drive way was drifted waist high and Im 6'3". The old gal never even grunted, and with the filled tires and weights never spun a wheel