Wheel Spacing for crop row spacing

SteveCalhoun

Equipment
Kubota 3900
Mar 29, 2024
Idalou Texas
I have and L3901 with factory wheel spacing 47" center to center. I also have a few acres of subsurface drip irrigation with tapes at 30". I'd like to get wheel spacing close to 60" so I can work in the field with crop on 30" spacing and without compressing irrigation tape. I've seen 4" Bro Tek spacers for rear wheels that could get me to 55"; would like another 5". Front spacers seem to max out at 2" (51" center to center). I understand the issue of axle stress from spreading front wheels. But I would not use the spacers when doing loader work (or any other non-row crop related work). For light work (all the real weight on implement at the rear), is this axil stress a serious issue?

Any advice on converting a light utility tractor to one I can use in crops on 30" rows spacing would be greatly appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have and L3901 with factory wheel spacing 47" center to center. I also have a few acres of subsurface drip irrigation with tapes at 30". I'd like to get wheel spacing close to 60" so I can work in the field with crop on 30" spacing and without compressing irrigation tape. I've seen 4" Bro Tek spacers for rear wheels that could get me to 55"; would like another 5". Front spacers seem to max out at 2" (51" center to center). I understand the issue of axle stress from spreading front wheels. But I would not use the spacers when doing loader work (or any other non-row crop related work). For light work (all the real weight on implement at the rear), is this axil stress a serious issue?

Any advice on converting a light utility tractor to one I can use in crops on 30" rows spacing would be greatly appreciated.
It his Highly recommended to NEVER space the front wheels out.
Yes it adds a ton of stress and will break things.
They are designed for the wheels to run in the center of the bearings not to one end.
So be warned that moving the fronts out your very likely to break something.

Now for the rears, you should not add spacers as the rims are adjustable.
If your trying to go past the rim adjustment amount you're going to far!

1711738003183.png

SteveCalhoun

Equipment
Kubota 3900
Mar 29, 2024
Idalou Texas
It his Highly recommended to NEVER space the front wheels out.
Yes it adds a ton of stress and will break things.
They are designed for the wheels to run in the center of the bearings not to one end.
So be warned that moving the fronts out your very likely to break something.

Now for the rears, you should not add spacers as the rims are adjustable.
If your trying to go past the rim adjustment amount you're going to far!

View attachment 125198
Well, like most good advice, that really wasn't what I wanted to hear. The old (tiny) Kubota worked well in the vineyard for many years. But looks like for row crops, even on 30" spacing, I'll need to shop for a different tractor.

Any tips on 40-60hp that I can set on 60" wheel spacing?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well, like most good advice, that really wasn't what I wanted to hear. The old (tiny) Kubota worked well in the vineyard for many years. But looks like for row crops, even on 30" spacing, I'll need to shop for a different tractor.

Any tips on 40-60hp that I can set on 60" wheel spacing?
If you want new:

M6060 or M7060 if you want 4wd you'll be at 59.8 at it's widest, 2wd goes to 71.7 on the front and all go to 67.7 on the rear.

I personally would look for an older M7040!

1712022009988.png