wheel locking up

willyt78

Equipment
b21
Dec 15, 2011
pennsburg pa
Front right wheel sometimes locking up. Going in reverse will release it. This just started. I am in 2 wheel drive at the Time . Low gear oil? This is a B21.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Low gear oil isn't causing the lock up but may have caused the problem that results in a lock up.

I'd start by looking at a parts diagram of your tractor's front running gear and pay particular attention to bearings. Any noise when it is rolling? Bearings and gears are first cousins with bearings being the least expensive to replace, by far.

The problem could be at the affected wheel or the differential as I assume you have 4WD.

In any case, I'd open it up for an inspection before the problem becomes worse and start with the wheel. Jack it up, rotate the wheel by hand and give a good listen first.

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
Front right wheel sometimes locking up. Going in reverse will release it. This just started. I am in 2 wheel drive at the Time . Low gear oil? This is a B21.
HI I assume you have drum brakes up front, if so it could be as simple as a broken or dislocated brake shoe spring. I would pull the drum and check it out because it's only locking up on the rt wheel start there. Hope this helps Barry

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Good call Barry!

Hopefully the OP will report back.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I am no expert on B21's but I am fairly sure there are no front brakes on his tractor.
Check bearings and gears in the front end.