What's your favorite winter time clothing gear?

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Figure most are wearing some form of Carhartt but figured I'd see what everyone recommends for those of us with open tractors working outdoors in the winter plowing/blowing snow and doing other chores where you'll be less mobile than on foot!

What ya have? How do you like it? How's the warmth? How's the sizing/fit?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Goose down vest and a woolrich windbreaker for walking the dog. If I'm really out I wear my KUIU Goose down parka, merino wool undies and thermal socks and Kennetrek hunting boots with 800 gram Thinsulate and KUIU insulated hunting gloves. Expensive but worth it.

Carhartts are heavy and not all that warm. Keeping warm is about layering, not overwear.

Hard to beat goose down and Merino wool.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
KLIM's Keweenaw Parka and Bib's, warm, waterproof and not bulky. Also expensive, but worth every penny. I've had mine going on 10 years and still look new. I wear them mostly snowmobiling were at -10F and 70MPH it's just starting to get cold :)

jms

Equipment
MX5200, BX2660, ZD221
May 22, 2018
Zumbro Falls, MN
Layers are important. It is really hard to beat wool. One of the few things that still keep you warm when wet.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Wool underwear top and bottom, turtleneck T and jeans, then sweatshirt or wool sweater, then snowbibs, cheap, I'd like a better waterproof pair, then knitted neck cover, wool hat, down coat, and Mud gardening gloves. It's only early December and I'm already up to most of those layers already. The garden gloves are stretchy but thin so I can do a lot with them on. I have found that the secret to warm hands is to overheat the thorax.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's the small jacket pocket where I can keep my flask safe, and easily accessible! :D

Oh and the long soft shirt sleeve that will stick out of my coat sleeve to wipe the snot that's running down my face, Nobody should have snot-sickles. :eek: :cool:

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Wool underwear top and bottom, turtleneck T and jeans, then sweatshirt or wool sweater, then snowbibs, cheap, I'd like a better waterproof pair, then knitted neck cover, wool hat, down coat, and Mud gardening gloves. It's only early December and I'm already up to most of those layers already. The garden gloves are stretchy but thin so I can do a lot with them on. I have found that the secret to warm hands is to overheat the thorax.
How can we be sure that it is really you inside all of that? :D
When I dress like that the first thing I usually do after I am all dressed up is head to the bathroom! :D:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
How can we be sure that it is really you inside all of that? :D
When I dress like that the first thing I usually do after I am all dressed up is head to the bathroom! :D:D
Uh huh, that is a common problem. Also when fully geared up if I fall down in deep snow getting up can also be a problem. :eek: seems like the older I get the more I feel the cold. :(

I tried Carhartts when I was younger. Useless, too stiff. My friend who is a wizard with a TLB says you have to drag them behind the tractor for a week to limber them up.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oh and the long soft shirt sleeve that will stick out of my coat sleeve to wipe the snot that's running down my face
Man, I can relate to that one! Made me laugh!

I'm my father's son....I don't need a thermometer to tell if it's <40F...not 42...40..I've got his beak, too...:eek::p

My leather gloves bear the brunt.. just stick them to the garage wall when I'm done....:eek::eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I once had some riding gloves (horse, not snowmobile) that had a terry towel patch on the back conveniently located for people riding horses that wouldn't stand still long enough for them to unzip a pocket and rummage for kleenex...very handy if unhygienic by the end of winter :eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OH yeah and when you do get your carharts soft,,,,, never,, NEVER wash them cause your right back to where you started :D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Gloves. When I am riding my motorcycle or walking my dogs early in the AM.

Otherwise my zip-up Columbia fuzzy jacket. Great for early morning coffee inside or out.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Goose down parka and Cabela's green wool windproof hunting pants. I used to ice fish at -25 below with my Goose down parka and stay as warm as toast. Boots are Lacrosse with felt liners -40*below boots.
I plow with my pickup and pick and choose when I use my tractor to bucket and blow snow. But when the parka comes out. You know winter is here.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Whoops - - I missed winter-wear, got "stuck" on something else!:p

Down to 25 or so, I don't wear a coat. I have a couple Arborwear heavyweight sweatshirts with a layer or 2 underneath. Love those things. Also, lined Schmidt work pants from TSC. As I get older, my legs get cold...6'4" and 36" inseams don't help.

Below that, add a jacket, but it's Carhart insulated bib overalls with long-johns and Carolina Loggers, insulated.

I think my bride shrunk my bibs in the dryer...may look for another pair...(translation; someone has expanded their "horizons," and some of my older stuff doesn't fit around the "Equator.":eek:)

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think my bride shrunk my bibs in the dryer

Hummm coff coff coff,,, yep I tried blaming mine too, that did not work well,,lol

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Whoops - - I missed winter-wear, got "stuck" on something else!:p

Down to 25 or so, I don't wear a coat. I have a couple Arborwear heavyweight sweatshirts with a layer or 2 underneath. Love those things. Also, lined Schmidt work pants from TSC. As I get older, my legs get cold...6'4" and 36" inseams don't help.

Below that, add a jacket, but it's Carhart insulated bib overalls with long-johns and Carolina Loggers, insulated.

I think my bride shrunk my bibs in the dryer...may look for another pair...(translation; someone has expanded their "horizons," and some of my older stuff doesn't fit around the "Equator.":eek:)
It could be your bride is too good a cook !!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think my bride shrunk my bibs in the dryer

Hummm coff coff coff,,, yep I tried blaming mine too, that did not work well,,lol
Didn't work any better for me..... wife is half Italian, half Irish... WOO BOY, didn't work any better....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It could be your bride is too good a cook !!!
I'm normally the cook, and my wife's pies are unrivaled.....makes matters worse...

I started the "What's Cookin' Boys?" thread because I like to cook....several years, and inches ago...:p:p

When I was a young "slender" restaurant cook, a waitress gave me a pin that said "Skinny Cooks Can't Be Trusted." Still have it 35 years later, in my office.

I'm VERY trustworthy now....:D:D

Last edited: