What's cookin' boys?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Bacon’s done. Really happy with the changes I made to the cure. Good balance of sweet, salty and peppery. Nice smoke level as well.
John - Holy Smokes....that looks awesome!

Maybe we've seen it before, but how do you slice it? Have a slicer?

Reactions: 1 user

Sidekick

Equipment
RTV-X, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60, Deere 4100
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Fresh Sunday morning bagels out of the oven 😋.
1000002017.jpg

Picked some bok choy and spinach for a stir fry later.
1000002015.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
John - Holy Smokes....that looks awesome!

Maybe we've seen it before, but how do you slice it? Have a slicer?
I bought a small rotary slicer. Works great and you can get the whole belly sliced in around 10 minutes. Takes longer to clean it up than cutting it. I would do a larger one if this ever dies so I don’t have to quarter the slabs IMG_2435.jpeg IMG_2434.jpeg

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Vevor sent me one of their slicers to try and boy is that handy. I use it mostly for jerky and boy is it a time-saver. Cleanup is the bummer as you say.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I bought a small rotary slicer. Works great and you can get the whole belly sliced in around 10 minutes. Takes longer to clean it up than cutting it. I would do a larger one if this ever dies so I don’t have to quarter the slabs View attachment 129285 View attachment 129286
Vevor sent me one of their slicers to try and boy is that handy. I use it mostly for jerky and boy is it a time-saver. Cleanup is the bummer as you say.
Yeah - I've cleaned slicers thousands of times in my restaurant days.

Just a suggestion - - look for restaurant auctions with Hobart Commercial slicers. Sometimes can be had for pennies on the new dollar.

There's many variants from light duty to very heavy duty. A light duty Hobart is still more than enough for home use.

I don't have one or a need for one but I've seen many good ones sell for $50-100 +/- at auction.

Hobart Slicers are almost bullet proof. I've repaired them many times, but usually just the power switch would go bad.

I think most parts are still available even if the machine is 40-50 years old. I would research other brands before buying, but Hobart has been a standard for many decades.

Last edited:

Sidekick

Equipment
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
Yeah - I've cleaned slicers thousands of times in my restaurant days.

Just a suggestion - - look for restaurant auctions with Hobart Commercial slicers. Sometimes can be had for pennies on the new dollar.

There's many variants from light duty to very heavy duty. A light duty Hobart is still more than enough for home use.

I don't have one or a need for one but I've seen many good ones sell for $50-100 +/- at auction.

Hobart Slicers are almost bullet proof. I've repaired them many times, but usually just the power switch would go bad.

I think most parts are still available even if the machine is 40-50 years old. I would research other brands before buying, but Hobart has been a standard for many decades.
I used one of them back in the late 60s when I worked in a small town Shurfine store. Used to hate when someone ordered a 30 or 40 pound party platter and we would be using it for hours if they ordered thin sliced and it had to be cleaned thoroughly between different meats and cheeses for platters. God bless you If you can pick one up to put it away because I couldn't anymore. Most of the cheap Hobarts are trashed or 3 phase.
This thing surprisingly works just as good once fine tuned and only weights about 25 pounds to put away when not used. The biggest issue is the blade is not big enough for fresh baked crusty bread to curl around so I still have to slice that by hand.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I used one of them back in the late 60s when I worked in a small town Shurfine store. Used to hate when someone ordered a 30 or 40 pound party platter and we would be using it for hours if they ordered thin sliced and it had to be cleaned thoroughly between different meats and cheeses for platters. God bless you If you can pick one up to put it away because I couldn't anymore. Most of the cheap Hobarts are trashed or 3 phase.
This thing surprisingly works just as good once fine tuned and only weights about 25 pounds to put away when not used. The biggest issue is the blade is not big enough for fresh baked crusty bread to curl around so I still have to slice that by hand.
Yeah - - I've done thousands of conferences, weddings, meetings, etc. (I once guestimated I'd cooked for 300 (?) wedding receptions)

Some of them were deli platters. Hated those friggin things. Labor was HUGE.

Many of the slicers since the 70's are 120v, even the chain-driven carriage models, which no one would want at home anyway.

You are certainly spot-on as far as size/weight. Even an older light duty slicer would have a larger footprint and probably weigh 40-50 pounds +.

I saw a decent little Hobart go for $20 at an auction few years ago. Blade was good and it worked. Even had the sharpening stone fixture on it.

Was tempted, but I didn't need one and it probably weighed 50 pounds.... ;)

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I’ll keep my eyes open. I’m after a cooler with sliding doors to replace the 30 yr old garage fridge as well. Not scared of electrical or mechanical repairs. It’s good to be able to get inside stuff and fix it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Smoked a butt today. Came out good. Meat just fell apart. 😎😎😎

1000016559.jpg
1000016562.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cheese tortellini with fresh marinara and some chops….
IMG_6859.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It was just the two of us today so our meal was simple:

IMG_5799.JPG

A hot dog, fries, & baked beans, followed by.....

IMG_5800.JPG

Peach cobbler & ice cream.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
9DA3A60D-E160-4DA0-A8A9-FBC6CB851C58.jpeg

wife and I celebrated 11 years today, she wanted to go somewhere expensive, so I took her to Kroger 🤣

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Congratulations!

You can do a better meal at home than any restaurant…..that looks absolutely awesome.

that’s been our theory for most of our 42 years together. married 35 of them in August.

of course, it’s best if both agree to the stay-at-home arrangement…..

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Congratulations!

You can do a better meal at home than any restaurant…..that looks absolutely awesome.

that’s been our theory for most of our 42 years together. married 35 of them in August.

of course, it’s best if both agree to the stay-at-home arrangement…..
Thank you!

and yeah we tend to stick to home cooked. We did go out last weekend because my parents came down for the weekend and we got a little time away by ourselves.

funny enough it’s how we actually met, I was the cook and my wife was the waitress at the little harbor restaurant in our small town. We got almost 20 years together

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thank you!

and yeah we tend to stick to home cooked. We did go out last weekend because my parents came down for the weekend and we got a little time away by ourselves.

funny enough it’s how we actually met, I was the cook and my wife was the waitress at the little harbor restaurant in our small town. We got almost 20 years together
Same here. I was a cook and the Mrs. was desk clerk at the hotel.

42 years ago started dating.

A good friend of the Mrs. met her future husband at same place. She was also desk clerk.

He was one of my night waiters working his way through veterinary school. They now own a successful small animal hospital in New York.

His dad was a former Army cook that taught me to cook short-order breakfast.

Poor arrangement, but I was pretty good at breakfast and dinner. Made for some long days doing weddings, clambakes, etc. in the middle of the day. 0430-2230 was a common workday.

Last edited: