What would you buy for this lawn/property?

whobee

Equipment
Kubota B2301, Snapper Pro 61" ICD 32HP ZTR
Mar 31, 2018
Northeast
I am 1 year in to this property and need to acquire a new mower for spring. I almost pulled the trigger on a BX2380 when I purchased the property but decided to hold off for one year to get a feeling for the lawn. I can no longer wait as my H/O grade lawn tractor is on its final leg.

Property was vacant for some time and the lawn paid the price. There are several voids from where trees were removed that need to be filled, it is very bumpy and needs leveling/grading in some areas, has several areas in need of topsoil and hyrodseeding, and all the mulch beds removed and redone.

Lot is 1.5 acres. Also has 15+ large oaks, elms, maples which drop leaves in the fall like crazy and a few which have exposed ground roots, bumpy soil/grass surround cover (rough stiff!).

Would you suggest a BX MM and FEL route or a ZTR. Also, I expect a commercial ZTR would pulverize the leaves better than my current mower or a BX (neighbor has a Scag that eviscerates a shocking amount of leaf cover versus my other neighbor’s Yanmar SCUT.

If I ever get the lawn where I want it, then a ZTR would be a no brainer. That said, I think a BX would allow me to bring in yards and yards of topsoil to repair the areas, mulch, etc and the mow cut quality and leaf mulching would be acceptable until I get the grass where I want it. Additionally, I am simply concerned that a ZTR purchase now over a BX will inhibit me from the lawn ever getting where I want it without hiring out which will add up $$$ quickly.

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
I prefer a RFM over a MMM, but do have more grass to cut.
RFM, easier to connect, disconnect, maintain & service.
Can also use on different tractors.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Congrat's on the new property!

I'd start off with a BX/FEL/RFM & attachments to get things in shape & for regular tractor maintenance. Then when the yard comes into shape, pick up a commercial ZTR for mowing/leaf chopping duties.

A SCUT & ZTR is a great 1-2 punch for appropriate property maintenance.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Of course having the BX and a ztr would be the best, but if you can only budget for one or the other, I'd suggest the BX. It won't mow that yard as fast, but at less than 2ac it won't make a huge difference. The BX will make a huge difference in it's ability to do everything else (leveling and moving dirt, filling in holes, grading, etc.) Once you have a BX you will find 100 other uses for it as well. The ztr is a one trick pony that mows better than anything else. The BX will hold it's value well, so if after 4-5 years you have the lawn as you like it, you could sell the BX and buy a ztr at that point.

Reactions: 1 user

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Property was vacant for some time and the lawn paid the price. There are several voids from where trees were removed that need to be filled, it is very bumpy and needs leveling/grading in some areas, has several areas in need of topsoil and hyrodseeding, and all the mulch beds removed and redone.

Lot is 1.5 acres. Also has 15+ large oaks, elms, maples which drop leaves in the fall like crazy and a few which have exposed ground roots, bumpy soil/grass surround cover (rough stiff!).
The way I see this, the BX will do everything you require, although it may not be the absolute "ideal" mower when compared to a ZTR.

On the other hand, the ZTR will do nothing you require, except mow a lawn that you are not yet happy with.

I say get the BX and get everything in shape to the degree you want it. After that component is done, you can determine if the BX is good enough for your mowing needs. If it is not, then you will need to make a decision.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I agree with what others have said, but with one exception. I would buy a BX Tractor/Loader/Back Hoe machine. I have a BX22 since 2004, and it is not that I use the back hoe that often, but when I need it to dig, I have it available to me, rather than having someone else getting paid to do what I can do myself. The BX back hoe isn't that powerful that you are going to be digging out large tree stumps, but when it comes to putting in fence post, new trees or shrubbery, etc., it can't be beat. The back hoe comes off easily and quickly, and doesn't take up that much room in the garage when it is being stored.
As for cutting the lawn with the BX, I have a 60" mower deck, and cut about 2 acres with it. It is not a fast machine for cutting, but it does a nice job, as long as you keep the blades sharp, and the underside of the deck clean of dried grass. I also have a bagging system, but don't use it often, since it fills too fast, and dumping it is a pain. If you are going to be cutting the grass often, then I would suggest that you consider the next generation of BX machine, the BX23, since they improved how the loader detaches. The BX22 series, the loader valve comes off with the loader, and then you have to detach it from the loader and put it back onto the machine, if you want to use the loader valve for either a snow blower, snow plow, or sweeper. I have all of these attachments, so this valve issue is a negative for me and my machine. If I had it to do all over again, I would have waited another year and bought the BX23.
Considering that you live in the Northeast, unless you have a plow truck, you should consider purchasing a front mounted snow blower at some point. It will make quick work of cleaning your driveway.
Below is a picture of my machine that was taken back in 2004, before I acquired BX snow moving equipment. I was moving a snow pile off of the lawn and putting it at the edge of the woods. The weight box is an important item to have if you are going to use the loader.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
That is a lot of dirt work for a BX, but if you have the time then it will get the job done.

You have the perfect setup for a BX with 1.5 acres. Regarding a backhoe...if you can think of tasks you would use it for over the next 5-10 years then it might make sense to get it now. Buying later is much more costly. However based on what you have described now, you really don’t have use for it.

I know you mentioned not renting, but have you looked into the cost? A CTL would get things leveled in 1/20th the time as a BX. Around here I can rent one for the weekend $150-200.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Once it's done, a lawn service is a lot cheaper than a zero turn. 6-8 grand will get you a lot of lawn service for many years. No maintenance, no gasoline or diesel, no depreciation either.

When my zero turn expires, I'll have a lawn service, I hate mowing lawns.:D

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I am 1 year in to this property and need to acquire a new mower for spring. I almost pulled the trigger on a BX2380 when I purchased the property but decided to hold off for one year to get a feeling for the lawn. I can no longer wait as my H/O grade lawn tractor is on its final leg.

Would you suggest a BX MM and FEL route or a ZTR. Also, I expect a commercial ZTR would pulverize the leaves better than my current mower or a BX (neighbor has a Scag that eviscerates a shocking amount of leaf cover versus my other neighbor’s Yanmar SCUT.

If I ever get the lawn where I want it, then a ZTR would be a no brainer. That said, I think a BX would allow me to bring in yards and yards of topsoil to repair the areas, mulch, etc and the mow cut quality and leaf mulching would be acceptable until I get the grass where I want it. Additionally, I am simply concerned that a ZTR purchase now over a BX will inhibit me from the lawn ever getting where I want it without hiring out which will add up $$$ quickly.

Any input is appreciated.
I would get some quotes from landscapers . They can come in and have it in shape with a few guys in a day. The time and money that will save will be meaningful in my opinion. A zero turn mower would be the ticket for a flat lot like yours. Fast , maneuverable and relatively inexpensive.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Once it's done, a lawn service is a lot cheaper than a zero turn. 6-8 grand will get you a lot of lawn service for many years. No maintenance, no gasoline or diesel, no depreciation either.

When my zero turn expires, I'll have a lawn service, I hate mowing lawns.:D
About $5,000 or so yearly for lawn service on my 2 1/2 acres in Pittsburgh. Just bought a B2601. Lots of other things besides mowing can also be accomplished of course. It took me a couple of years to talk myself into it. I must say I haven't had it a week and its mere presence in the garage warms my hillbilly heart.

Reactions: 2 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
I think a BX with FEL and MMM would work nicely in your situation. A BH would certainly be nice, but I couldn't justify it for my few acres. I love a RFM for wide open spaces, but you will not want a RFM on that property. Far too many trees/obstacles to mow around.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I prefer a RFM over a MMM, but do have more grass to cut.
RFM, easier to connect, disconnect, maintain & service.
Can also use on different tractors.
BUT a RFM is not great at cutting around things...

MMM is better for that. I started out with a RFM but ended up trading it in on a brush hog and a BX with a MMM. RFM cut real nice but was a pain getting to cut close to a fence and around trees, and so on.

For 1.5 acres the BX would be a perfect fit in my experience. In my case a backhoe is something I never regretted buying for my B2910. Only thing better is the old mini excavator I bought over the winter. You really don’t know how much a backhoe can help you until you own one....

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
2019 thread? I hope the OP has solved this problem already!!