What would happen if?

steve01

Equipment
B7100D with a B219 loader, B3548 mower
Jun 30, 2009
Lake, Mi.
What would happen if i mounted the fan on my B7100D back wards?
Would it be better to have the fan blow trough the radiator so all the grass and dust wouldn't stick to it?
I've looked at the fan and it looks like it will bolt onto the dynamo with out any problems.
Any body tried this?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You would need a fan designed to move air the other way. If you simply reverse the fan you have it will still draw air through the rad from the front, it will be less effective because it will be acting on the wrong side of the curve of the blades. If it did work as you say, wouldn't it just plug up the other side of the rad?
Ed

steve01

Equipment
B7100D with a B219 loader, B3548 mower
Jun 30, 2009
Lake, Mi.
You are right on reversing the fan. I held it up to the dynamo and looked at it, looked better in my mind than in the real world. LOL
Maybe a electric fan on the front of the radiator with a double pole double throw center off switch. One way blow through the radiator to help the fan when working hard, then through the switch the other way to clear the radiator when the day is done and of course center off to save battery.
I'll have to start looking for a small fan that will fit in front of the radiator but under the grill.
Maybe I'm over thinking this as I've never had my tractor get hot but it isn't always remembered to blow the radiator out.

tonyvkubota

Equipment
2013/B3200HST/L504 loader/60" rotary finish mower/ 60"brush hog
Dec 14, 2013
ny
You have be concern you be pulling warm air from around the engine compartment instead of cooler air from outside. I see this as one important thought.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
You have be concern you be pulling warm air from around the engine compartment instead of cooler air from outside. I see this as one important thought.
What tony said... You will be pulling the exhaust heated air into the radiator.

I'm also thinking any fan blowing will not create the concentrated pressure or volume of air needed to blow out the dust, junk and grass out of the radiator crevices. Water hose stream or air hose blast to get things moving...

Or, you could use one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...89415634&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+air+dryer

But, yes you would have to remember to use it... :D

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
My tractor has a screen in front of the radiator to help keep it clean.

There is one poster that highly recommends putting cheap AC filters in front of the radiator. I think that would be a great idea if you are mowing. I had to take the screen off to get it clean after mowing - the grass seeds were embedded and would not wash off/out.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
My tractor has a screen in front of the radiator to help keep it clean.

There is one poster that highly recommends putting cheap AC filters in front of the radiator. I think that would be a great idea if you are mowing. I had to take the screen off to get it clean after mowing - the grass seeds were embedded and would not wash off/out.
I think that is a great idea in theory, filtering out all the dust and trash. On the B7100 which does not have a water pump to circulate things, I would fear it would also restrict the air flow through the rad on the warmer mowing months, causing it to over heat that much easier.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
A couple of thoughts. First of all, the screen wouldn't be able to catch anything at all with the air going backwards. The chaff and dust would be blown in from the rear.

We use a filter material on our HVAC projects to keep the systems clean if the system is used for temoporary heating/cooling. It is available in rolls of various sizes and thicknesses. It is cut to size and fastened over return air grilles. It's cheap and doesn't restrict air flow to any extent till it is dirty.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I have an inexpensive 12 volt electric fan that I put on my B7100 if I am going to be mowing for an extended time on a hot day. I open the hood and slide it in front of the radiator. I kind of pinches in between the hood and the radiator when I close the hood. I just connect it to the battery with alligator clips. It is quick, simple and not in the way when I don't need it. Also easy to remove when blow out the radiator with my compressor. It really helps to keep the tractor cool.