What trailer to buy?

Wrencher2423

Apr 27, 2014
Leechburg,Pa,U.S.A
I am in the market for a new trailer to haul the bx25 around. Wondering what anybody uses. I looked at a b- wise 16ft trailer today rated at 7,000 pounds looked incredible price was a little more that I wanted to spend by seemed really well built. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks love this site!!!

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Do not buy a junk / cheap trailer. A good trailer will serve you for years and bring a big premium at resale. A cheap one and you'll be replacing everything from spring shackles to brakes and magnets. I'd recommend a dovetail if you plan on loading tractor with implements. And I wouldn't recommend fold up ramps if you plan on loading tractor and rotary cutter because unless you get an 18' you won't be able to get ramps up without putting bucket out on trailer tongue. A good Corn Pro 10k 18' with dovetail new will run you around $4000 in my area. Plus if you get a smaller trailer it will just be one more obstacle when you decide to buy a bigger tractor in future I d at min get a 18' 7k trailer. Good luck

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am in the market for a new trailer to haul the bx25 around. Wondering what anybody uses. I looked at a b- wise 16ft trailer today rated at 7,000 pounds looked incredible price was a little more that I wanted to spend by seemed really well built. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly helpful. Thanks love this site!!!
I bought a 14' used trailer, brakes on one axle, fold up tailgate....
paid $1500.00

works very well - I will say that i placed EXTRA LED lights on the gate, placed two 2x12 inside the angle iron were the wheels go and place 2x12 on the sidewalls for hauling gravel,mulch etc. I place the bucket on the trailer with the cutting edge facing straight down next to the tool box and hoe turned sharply to one side. The trailer max is approx. 7000lbs. I guess the Bx weighs in at around 3000-3200. It pulls very well.

I think a 16' would be a better choice. If you are going to haul a lot, I would say spend the $$$ to get what you really want. If only several times a year, you might be able to find what you need a little cheaper.

Attachments

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I will suggest this, a full tilt trailer. My BIL has one and I borrow it from time to time to move my B7100 around. It is so nice to use it as you don't have to worry about ramps. Also when you want to unload, I just unlatch the bed, back up and the bed tilts and I lock the hydraulic and it stays.

It is well worth the added money.

Jay

beerandgasoline

Equipment
L3800
Apr 19, 2014
graham, wa
My trailer is a 7k 21' tilt deck car hauler with a 6"knife edge. I love it, wish it was longer tho. My brush hog is off the back two feet with the loader nosed up all the way. I paid 3800 built to order. My manufactures only difference between their 7k and 10k was only 2 extra x-members and the axles. To me not worth the extra $2k on the price for a 10k trailer... If i start going through bearings or am continually finding myself over loading ill do the upgrade myself.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Don't forget proper width. You may want to haul wider stuff sometime, so don't compromise on width. A bucket hanging out the back is not necessarily bad, if your machine is in good shape and bucket does not drop by itself with time.

Think about hauling with other vehicles also, Can you transfer the electric controller easily.

I like a tilt bed since it requires no ramps.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I have a 16ft dove tail with a three foot gate on the back. Was looking for a tilt with tube frame for durability and ease of loading, but stumbled across a dealer with this one. Since he was looking to retire i picked it up for 1000$ brand new. It's easy to drop the gate but the bush hog drags the ground loading and unloading in the drive because of the incline. Doesn't scrape if i unload in the street where its level.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depending on your circumstances (budget, tow vehicle, parking, intended load) get the biggest and widest trailer you can afford. It's like a tractor: there's always something you want to do where you need a bigger one.

I'm suspecting you're considering a bumper-pull 'utility'-type flat-bed trailer, or maybe a similar car hauler. If you're set up for it or have a serious need, consider a goose-neck or 5th wheel type flatbed trailer. You'll find it easier to use overall.

A smaller or just-right-size trailer will turn out to be a PiA for those times you want to do something or haul something that just won't fit.

Get a BullDog brand hitch (and use the cross-wise safety clasp behind the collar) and use safety chains with safety-clip type hooks. Cross the safety chains when hooking up. Keep the trailer ball greased. Push the receiver hitch pin hairpin all the way through, not stopping at the first hump.

Get brakes on at least one axle and lights all around. Use a quality controller and set it up (calibration) before you need it.

No need to pay for automotive-quality paint because it's going to get chipped up anyway.

Consider a toolbox on the tongue and / or a manual or electric winch. First time you have to haul a dead tractor or recover a kid's car that died you'll be glad.

Get D-rings welded all-round; stake-pockets if you consider side-boards for hauling mulch or hay or whatever. Invest in quality chains and ratchet-type load binders. Buy 10,000-lb x 27-ft web-type ratchet-straps on sale and keep them clean (grease and oil and embedded dirt tremendously weaken straps).

Tires: get good ones new and keep them covered; they'll dry-rot from sunlight before you wear them out. Go with 16-in tires; around my area 15's are fewer and therefore more expensive to replace. Used 15s don't exist around here, in case you need a get-by. Get a spare rim / tire when you buy. Carry a jack with you in that tongue toolbox.

Removable ramps that store onboard (use a chain and lock to keep them) will be better than fold-up ramp that might get in the way; a dovetail can make loading easier, sometimes just by backing up to a pile of material or pond dam.

Please post back your decision and experiences so we may all learn.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
As usual, Stubbyie's advice is spotless.
I can also endorse the BullDog brand hitch.
I would look for brakes on both axles.
Also consider the type of bearings- you should feel comfortable servicing them.

I got an 18ft PJ with a dovetail.
If I had it to do over again I'd buy a tilt trailer- safer, faster, and more versatile loading/unloading.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would get one that has a good paint job. It is stupid to spend 4K on a trailer with a spray can paint job that starts rusting threw in 2 years, particularly if you have to use it sometime after there is salt on the roads. Some of the trailer manufacturers save money by using low grade paint jobs and then the underside of the trailers start rusting out. Removable ramps may be great for added length, but they are a real PIA to use. As you get older, you will appreciate not having to move them around by going with spring loaded flip up ramps. I certainly wish I had flip-ups now that I have a bad shoulder. One factor to place in your decision is your tow vehicle. Is it heavy enough for a larger trailer? Getting a trailer with brakes on both axles is a good investment over time. Being able to stop safely, especially on hills is a must. Another good investment is radial tires. They will bounce less and last longer.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
You have to decide what you need to haul, what you are going to tow with, and what you want to spend. You don't need a big trailer for a BX as 85Hokie has shown us.

I waited until I found one that I could afford that is large enough to haul my largest vehicle if need be. It was a bit of a fixer, but that's the way most of my stuff is when I get it. Do what's right for your needs.

Wrencher2423

Apr 27, 2014
Leechburg,Pa,U.S.A
Pick up the 16 ft one on Saturday pulled bx on and fits like a dream . Tows incredible and I can't believe how nice it is. I am super glad with my decision. Can't wait to start towing it around. Thanks for the help

kubota2360

Equipment
BX2360 - 60" MMM -Loader - Snow Blower - 3 PT Grader blade
Feb 26, 2013
Plainfield, IL
I have a BX2360, and have a a\Aluminum, single axle trailer, and pull it with my Ford Escape, and it hauls it like a dream. I have taken mine from Michigan to Illinois twice, no problem. One trip I had the loader, back blade, and snow blower on the trailer at one time.
It is a VanKam trailer made in Muskegon Michigan, I ordered the radial tires, that makes it pull better.
In my estimates, I am just under the plate, and trailer ratings.
This picture is just as I finished grading the lot at my industrial Bld.

Attachments

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Do not forget if your GVW is 10,000lbs or more. You must have a CDL. fed law. This is normally a class A lic:)
First of all, I do not think that is not an accurate statement. CDL, Commercial Drivers Licence is only needed if Commercial. Private use, as in hauling tractors, wood, or any kind of equipment, I believe you are exempt.

Ron