What stupid thing have you done today

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
Greeting Skeets, sorry to hear of your incident, worst about chain saw cuts is that it just tears the flesh, not like a knife or axe cut. I remember 38 years ago I was splitting wood with an axe, not thinking I held the stick on the chopping block with my left hand and when I came down with the axe in my right hand it was a little to far to the left and got my thumb, didn't loose my thumb but took a lot of stiches. My 2 year old son was with me, he was not impressed. The next year I went to go split wood again and he came running to the door and said, I better come with you, you know what happened last time you had an axe, he remembered that.
But, on behalf of all us power saw warriors I would like to thank you for sharing your incident, it takes a real man to speak up and tell the story, we men never want to show that we don't have all our ducks in a row all the time. Thank you for giving us something to think about!!! Speedy recovery!!

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Sorry to hear about your accident Skeets, take it easy and heal up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have used chaps (department issue and mandatory)and i found them uncomfortable and get caught on every branch. Reason i reccomended the pants-aka trousers.
I would rather be sweating then tripping and falling on a running saw.
Guy fell on his saw,chain was stopped but left a few good scrapes.

My guess is you took a step and didnt hold the saw as high as you normally would. Called fatigue.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Dang Skeets hope you recover quickly.

I wear a pair of Stihl chaps and a vest when i am cutting.

Just had a chainsaw safety class at my fire department 3 weeks ago. Instructor showed us a video of how a pair of chaps can stop a saw. The chaps were wrapped around a log and a saw with a 20" bar running full throttle was placed on the chaps. It stopped the saw instantly the fibers in the chap wrapped around the chain thus preventing it from spinning, very impressive.

I had a near miss years ago where my pants got tangled with the chain when I stepped over a tree, just tore my pants but got my attention.

Take away from the class a few key points.
* Never take a step with a running saw that the brake is not engaged. Instructor said if you cut for a half day the back of your hand should be sore from engaging chain brake.
* Always have a first aid kit nearby
* Always ensure the area you are standing is clear of trip hazards.
* Never cut above shoulder height
* always have a clear exit route show things go bad, especially when falling trees
* Always wear PPE, leather gloves, boots, chaps, eye and ear protection.

Take care Skeets.

Jay

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
The chain brake is a anti-kickback safety feature. It is not a brake like you would use in a car to stop. Any instructor that teaches that should know.or shouldnt be instructing. Periodic testing of the brake is necessary,it Is an emergency stop.
Wear the thing out,wear the drum out and all of a sudden it doesent work as the thing approaches your face.

I had to instruct individuals on chainsaw operation,i had a big problem with people that were incompetent. I was expected to sign off on everyone i trained. I refused. Supervisor signed off.
Incompetent stuck saw in chaps and returned saw as defective. Because it was balled up with kevlar.

That was the last straw in my training career. I knew he couldnt handle a saw in the first 2 minutes he had it in his hands.

Skeets, not accusing you of incompetence, because stuff happens. Take lots of breaks and keep a clear work area.two best pieces of chainsaw advice. That and about 3 strokes off the rakers.

As earlier mentioned about brake use, a fireman using a carbide equipped chainsaw standing on the roof of a burning house is already a couple mistakes from grievous injury, using the brake eliminates one.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Hey Skeets, just wanting to make you feel a tad better.

Today I was picking up fallen pears to take to my cows for a treat. Had a couple of buckets full, and decided to just get a couple more. Reached down and grabbed one that had crushed a bit as it hit the driveway below. Instantly I released it as my hand felt like it had been pinched in a pliers.

A bumble bee stung me on my right hand, finger next to my pinky, between the first and second joints on the inside of the finger. Happened about 10 this morning and it still feels like I grabbed a spool of barbed wire!

I should have kicked that pear before I picked it up!!

But those bee teeth still don't hurt like chain saw teeth.:mad:

GaryL

Equipment
2003 BX2200 - loader, mower, blower, grss collection system
Nov 22, 2014
Holden, MA
Skeets, I did this same thing a couple years back. At my house, a total of 31 trees dropped. The big oaks 85'+ were dropped by my friend's tree biz but I did the smaller ones and all the post work of bucking and chopping and splitting. No issues, no injuries. 17 cords. Got a call from my Dad's neighbor wanting to drop a 20' maybe 6" dead standing. Showed up with my saw, and that was it. Dropped it, stepped back to watch it fall (just to the right of the guys shed, which probably had my attention) and when I took a leisurely step back, dropped the still running saw right onto my leg.

First thought, Oh No! Second....Is it spurting? Nope, so I ran to my SUV and pulled out my trauma kit. Into Dad's house and dropped trou. Quick saline washout, and pressure bandage applied. Now, on a leg injury, (FYI) quick clot shouldn't be applied unless it is really approaching your last option. To many chances for clots to be thrown into your heart chambers or lungs. Three pressure bandage changes and 13 hrs. later, got it to stop. I could have stitched it, but I would have to have started in quite a bit and I was more worried about catching oil or debris in there. Let the body bleed naturally, though slowly with the bandages applied. Finally stopped about 30 minutes before I was going to give in and go to the ED, which being a nurse, I hate doing.

Moral: Cutting a weed with a chainsaw is just as dangerous as a redwood sometimes. Pants, chaps, maybe full body kevlar catsuit. Fashionable I am sure!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It has healed up OK, but its going to be a nice scar,,lol:D

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
Skeets, learned your lesson years ago the hard way too, pre chaps days. Was snap starting a 12" saw limbing a tree? Not sure exactly what happened it was so fast but fortunately it was the only time the saw did not start on first pull, blade hit me in the left knee cutting 5 large holes in my jeans and my knee. Took many months for the soreness in my knee to go away. Now it only pains me on rainy days. Never ever, did I start a saw again that was not planted on solid ground.

A few years later I worked with a lady whose husband and son were professional loggers, her son working alone one day somehow cut his leg with a running saw. He made it out of the woods and drove many miles towards the hospital, he got to within a couple of miles and somehow had the presence of mind to pull over to the side of the road and park, and he passed there. God bless his soul.

May rainy days not bother you...

Last edited: