What size RFM for B2650

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
Topic says it all! Entertaining a RFM for the 2650 what size 60 or 72”. Mowing 1.5 acres no trees just a house to mow around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I run a 60" Landpride behind mine, doesn't even know it's there unless I get into REALLY tall stuff that should be cut with a brush hog.

Ran a 72 behind my JD750 which is similar (a bit less) horsepower with no issue. It was wore plumb out and important parts NLA so I replaced it. Couldn't find a new 72" in my price range hence the 60"

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I run a Land Pride 72" behind mine with no problem at all. The tractor will handle either one of them. The rest is up to you.

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
Awesome thanks guys!

Do you guys like the cut with them. I’m no yard fanatic but I like a green weed free yard with decent lines.

Thought I wanted a zero turn at first but I’m loving this tractor and the comfort. And also the thought of one less motor to maintain.

Any thoughts on if it’s okay to mow over the fingers for a septic system with loaded tires w/o the loader though?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
It depends upon conditions and options.

There is a very good thread about this very issue on TBN:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/394621-kubota-b2650-not-enough-power.html

SDT

Thank you for that link.

I have always kept my implements on the smaller side for this tractor for fear of it being under powered. But it’s been surprising my with its capabilities. So I got some confidence that it could run a 6’ mower. After reading that thread I feel it surprises me with capabilities due to my implement choices being in its wheel house and not treating it like it’s a super high HP tractor.

60” will do just fine. 1.5 acres shouldn’t take long with a 5’ mower.

Now just to decide if it’s too much weight for my septic field. I have a mound presby system. Obviously would avoid it in wet conditions for sure.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thank you for that link.

I have always kept my implements on the smaller side for this tractor for fear of it being under powered. But it’s been surprising my with its capabilities. So I got some confidence that it could run a 6’ mower. After reading that thread I feel it surprises me with capabilities due to my implement choices being in its wheel house and not treating it like it’s a super high HP tractor.

60” will do just fine. 1.5 acres shouldn’t take long with a 5’ mower.

Now just to decide if it’s too much weight for my septic field. I have a mound presby system. Obviously would avoid it in wet conditions for sure.

Bingo, DD.

Yes, your 2650 will handle a 72" MMM in some conditions but it will be HP limited in other conditions. Moreover, unless you have flat ground, smaller mowers will produce better results.

SDT

Larry0071

Dec 30, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pa
If your on steep hill ground like I am, the 72" Land Pride is asking more than the B2650 wants to give. I drove it over to my sister in laws house with a relatively flat spare lot (compared to my yard) and had no trouble with it in high grass and mid range.

The problem comes into play when you need the bulk of the engine just to move the tractor and there is not enough testicular fortitude remaining to run a mower. At that point, both moving and mowing cease to progress.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gcmiller

Equipment
B2910, LA402 FEL, Caroni TC-910 91" finish mower, RTV900
Mar 13, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I run a 91" Caroni RFM behind my B2910 (22 HP PTO) without issue. You may not want to go that large, but I think it's a good indication that a 72" RFM would be just fine for you.

How flat your land is is going to be a big determining factor in how large of a mower you want. If you have a lot of hills, bumps or generally uneven ground a larger mower is more likely to scalp the ground. This is true with any mower whether it's a RFM, MMM or zero-turn.

As for your septic field, I personally would avoid riding over it with your tractor. I should tell you I have an engineered septic system, which is very shallow so I might not be very objective.