What is that a black puddle???

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
What is that a black puddle??? And why is it on the floor where my tractor was just parked??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Here is what happened this morning. I needed to dig a ditch for a power line.

I checked all of the fluid levels. Then I started her up to warm up a bit as it was around 25°F this morning. After a few minutes I opened up the Man Cave and pulled her out. as I got off and turned around. I had a near heart attack :mad: I saw a puddle (about 1/2 quart) of engine oil at the same spot as where my BX24 was just parked and a trail of oil to where it is now parked. After I was able to breathe again I started the process of finding out where it was coming from. Opened the hood and could not find anything. Took off the grill cover and engine shroud. After feeling around I found a wet spot (mind out of the gutter). It was under the oil filter. I was able to get 1/4 turn out of it (by hand). Leak stopped :)

Has anyone had the oil filter come loose??? What is the normal oil filter re-torque service interval??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Yeah, I had it happen once. Come to find out it was my fault. When I took old filter off and replaced it, the rubber gasket stuck and then the new one had two which caused a leak. My own stupid move.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
They say to just hand tight with a firm grip the oil filter back on. Also check the drain plug and make sure its on there snug as well. I couldn't tell you the number of cars I've towed back to Wal-mart it my days of a wrecker driver where they forgot to put the drain plug in or not all the way and the motor oil ran out and Wal-mart had to replace motors!

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Remember to smear a drop of engine oil on the rubber gasket before tightening.
dave

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Yeah I did all of that. I changed the oiil about 75 hours ago. I would have thought that it would have happened before then. I always double and sometimes tripple check my work on my truck and tractor services (as I can't afford costly repairs). I know there is vibrations in a diesel engine. I just never had this happen before.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Yeah, I had it happen once. Come to find out it was my fault. When I took old filter off and replaced it, the rubber gasket stuck and then the new one had two which caused a leak. My own stupid move.
I did that when I first serviced the skid steer. Man, can that thing pump two gallons of oil out fast!!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I rebuilt my B670 Backhoe, I removed the PH8A oil filter from the backhoe hydraulic tank to find (3) gaskets from previous oil filters stacked up-
one on the old filter & two more stuck to the tank.:eek: Why it wasn't leaking I will never understand.:confused:

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
... I always double and sometimes tripple check my work ...
Do you know, that when we get old that this happens to all of us. Getting weak because of loosing muscle mass and forget to go on with one task because a butterfly passes by so nice. :D

Hope your orange girl is still healthy!!

der carl

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
They don't leak oil, they sweat horse power.:D

Better to find it that way rather than have it come loose while operating and destroy the engine.

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
When I rebuilt my B670 Backhoe, I removed the PH8A oil filter from the backhoe hydraulic tank to find (3) gaskets from previous oil filters stacked up-
one on the old filter & two more stuck to the tank.:eek: Why it wasn't leaking I will never understand.:confused:
If it was on the return circuit side of the system is it not under pressure like an engine oil filter is.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
If it was on the return circuit side of the system is it not under pressure like an engine oil filter is.
I think you're right..... I believe it is in the return circuit. Thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Probably because the hydraulic filter is usually on the return side- so, it isn't under as much pressure. Otherwise, it would have blown those rings out.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
They don't leak oil, they sweat horse power.:D

Better to find it that way rather than have it come loose while operating and destroy the engine.
That kind of reminds me of a woman at church- she said she wasn't have a hot flash, it was a power surge.