What grease are you folks using on your grease fittings ?

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I did a search and came up with zilch . What grease are you folks using ? The manuals that I have call out for multipurpose grease . I've been using that & it's getting close to replace the cartridges in my grease guns . ON my Case 580's I was using that super sticky red Chevron grease , forgot the # . I have a grease pump that has almost a full bucket of the Chevron red & was wondering if any of you folks have been using that grease on their tractors . I have a 3301 Hst with a loader & hoe . Lubing is a lot faster with the pump .
thanks'
animals45

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Your gonna get a hundred different answers. Use what you have handy, and do it often, you’ll be fine.

Reactions: 9 users

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
like I said the manual calls out for multipurpose grease . I have a bud that has owned 580's & such size backhoes & big excavators & he has used the Chevron red grease for the 40 + years he's been in business & it has served him well with his machines in much worse work conditions then my Kubota could even dream about . Thanks folks . I'll be pulling the grease pump put of mothballs tomorrow .
thanks
animals45

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
like I said the manual calls out for multipurpose grease . I have a bud that has owned 580's & such size backhoes & big excavators & he has used the Chevron red grease for the 40 + years he's been in business & it has served him well with his machines in much worse work conditions then my Kubota could even dream about . Thanks folks . I'll be pulling the grease pump put of mothballs tomorrow .
thanks
animals45
Your backhoe and loader manuals don’t call for moly grease?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Your gonna get a hundred different answers. Use what you have handy, and do it often, you’ll be fine.
This grease issue has been beaten to death here on OTT.
Same as above!
Just use whatever grease you have, and use it frequently!

• Haha

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I use either multipurpose or red & tacky, depending on which one I happen to have bought. Grease is grease. Only need a little bit about every 50 hours.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use either multipurpose or red & tacky, depending on which one I happen to have bought. Grease is grease. Only need a little bit about every 50 hours.
We went around and around on this subject just about 2 weeks ago, and in the end, the final conclusion that I came to was that some members are so biased one way or the other, that it is like trying to ask what religion is best. You will not get any consensus of agreement, and for my purposes in life, grease is grease. On my 1964 Minneapolis Moline, I have no idea as to what was used on that machine starting in 1964 when it was manufactured until 1984, but for those 20 years, it was greased many times, and not one pin or bushing was worn out when I got it. I even found some pins that I had no way of knowing when the last time it was greased because the grease nipple had been broken off. When I pulled the pin to dill out the old grease nipple, there was just about no grease on the pin, nor was there any appreciable wear either. Just grease with whatever you have, and just make sure to grease it when you remember. I seriously doubt that any of us are ever going to wear out our machines unless we are using them commercially every day.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I did a search and came up with zilch . What grease are you folks using ? The manuals that I have call out for multipurpose grease . I've been using that & it's getting close to replace the cartridges in my grease guns . ON my Case 580's I was using that super sticky red Chevron grease , forgot the # . I have a grease pump that has almost a full bucket of the Chevron red & was wondering if any of you folks have been using that grease on their tractors . I have a 3301 Hst with a loader & hoe . Lubing is a lot faster with the pump .
thanks'
animals45
Lucas X-Tra HD

It's what I use for greasing year round for everything, bushings, bearings, loader, backhoe, u-joints, etc. I bought a 10-pack case of tubes when I bought my new tractor 4 years (EDIT: and 800 hours) ago. Have more than half the case left and I use it for my pickup greasing too.

I'm pretty good about greasing, at a minimum, at the suggested intervals. Lucas Xtra holds out very well.

Last edited:

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Directly cut & past from the manual
PRE-OPERATION CHECKLubrication Lubricate all grease fittings with SAE multi purpose grease.
Like I said earlier we've been using the red Chevron grease for years . The bucket thats in my grease pump should last at least until my kids take over.
thanks
animals45

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A bunch of opinions from people you don’t know and won’t pay to fix your tractor if you use the wrong stuff…. or what the Mfr’r specified in your manuals…. which do you prefer…?
PS: most tractors recommend general purpose and most loaders recommend moly. Your loader has it’s own manual…just like your tractor has.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A bunch of opinions from people you don’t know and won’t pay to fix your tractor if you use the wrong stuff…. or what the Mfr’r specified in your manuals…. which do you prefer…?
PS: most tractors recommend general purpose and most loaders recommend moly. Your loader has it’s own manual…just like your tractor has.
I have owned at least one tractor for the past 55 years.
I have never gotten my panties in a wad over what is the "proper" grease.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I have owned at least one tractor for the past 55 years.
I have never gotten my panties in a wad over what is the "proper" grease.
I don’t wear panties…but I’ve had a serious bearing failure from the use of the wrong grease on a dangerous machine.…which will definitely leave a dark spot in your panties… That’s why I care enough to offer the best info I can. ;)

It’s odd that tractor owners will made darn certain they select only the “proper” motor oil and “proper“ fuel so they won’t have an expensive failure…. yet denigrate the idea anyone would prefer to use the “proper” grease. :cool:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users