What do these do?

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
I bought an M6800 with a M920 front end loader at auction last year. A couple things have me stumped. First up is this switch on the joy stick for the loader. Based on the pictogram I would have thought it is a lock out for the joy stick, but as far as I can tell it doesn't do anything.

switch.jpg

Next is this valve on one of the couplers for the loader. I understand what it is, I just to understand why it is there. Under what circumstance would I every use it?

lever.jpg

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
The first one SHOULD be a lockout. I don't know about the second.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Next is this valve on one of the couplers for the loader. I understand what it is, I just to understand why it is there. Under what circumstance would I every use it?

View attachment 44534
I have that same valve on the ALO loader on my machine...... not sure exactly either but whenever i disconnect the loader, i close it. I suppose unhooking the lines could cause some pressure loss? The valve holds it in, (that one circuit at least) so the loader won't settle when disconnecting?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I have found a couple of pictures that show M920SL as a loader but there is no listing that I can find for an owners manual. This one was in Canada. Several of the tractors for sale have the LA1002 or LA1162 loaders.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
The first one is the joystick lock, push to lock. If it isn't you need to have a look under the boot and see why it isn't. Second picture is a flow control valve to limit the fluid flow to some aspect of the operation of the loader. You need to 'follow the Yellow Brick Road' (hydraulic lines to see what they attach to.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
A lot of Canadian tractors have Quicke/ALO brand loaders on them... some funny import/trade law i think. I believe that M920 is a quicke/alo 900 Q series. You can find the manual and parts diagrams here, painstakingly.

They list that valve as a shut off valve. The manuals are all basically the same, it's not a flow control that i do know based on the way mine works. It should be on the loader lift, may be a safety shut off while servicing or when parking the loader. maybe it's a euro safety requirement?

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think Thunder Chicken is right on. "... may be a safety shut off while servicing or when parking the loader. maybe it's a euro safety requirement?"

Just like my old Vermeer round baler, had a hydraulic lock out to keep the tail gate from moving while cleaning out jammed hay. It's not really the best solution. A mechanical stop is a positive lock out, with no chance of failure.

You could test the function of the valve by putting the lever in the off position and then see if your loader will move up/down or you hear the system bypass.

DrankTheOrangeKoolaid

Equipment
M6800/M920, Case 780B
Sep 24, 2019
Alberta
Thanks guys. After futzing around with the joy stick lock, I discovered the joy stick needs to be pushed a fair bit forward of the natural resting position before the lock will engage.

Thunder Chicken is correct, there is an ALO plate on the inside of the left arm. Unfortunately the info on the plate doesn't line up with anything on their web site (I mean, why would it?) so I never managed to find a manual.

I did get a manual from the local Kubota dealer, but it doesn't mention the joy stick lock or the shutoff valve. But the manual from Thunder Chicken's link answer's the questions.

Reactions: 1 user

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
the hyd shut off valve is for your boom lift cylinders, there are no holding valves on the lift cylinders so the shut off cuts the loader control valve spools out of the equation (control spools are a machined fit with engineered leakage) when parking with the loader up for service or what have you.