what diesel additives do you use?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
For regular use in normal temps I would suggest using mercon dextron ATF fluid. About 4 oz. to 10 gal. of fuel is a good mix. It will add lubrication and keep your engine and injectors clean. Marvel mystery oil is another good choice at the same mix ratio as the ATF. Most diesel conditioners increase the cetain level of the fuel which means it will burn hotter. I have seen melted pistons come from this when the mix gets to strong. I use both the tranny fluid and the marvel in my stuff. They both will do the job but the tranny fluid is cheaper and easier to come by. One added benefit to the marvel mystery oil is that it can be used in you storage tank to keep the fuel from going bad "growing algee." Hope this helps.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
That has a bad idea written all over it. I've never heard of anyone putting ATF in diesel fuel and I thought on my own it was a bad idea. So I went and did a little reading on that and its stated that it can harm injector pumps and filter. Here's what I found on that. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read about it.

http://flashoffroad.com/Diesel/DieselFuel/about_diesel_fuel.htm

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Yep...now all ya'll have me screwed up!!!
But it is under warrnenty (sp) so should I?
I use to get Farm Grade fuel delivered to the house but now we have no farms or cattle just 10 acres left.
Will

Eric your making my brain hurt!!!

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I was told by my dealer where I purchased my tractor to put about 4 oz. of automatic transmission fluid or 2 cycle oil in with the diesel fuel on every other tank. This was the first that I heard of this. I went to the local parts store and they recommended Power Service diesel fuel condition. I'm skeptical about the auto transmission or 2 cycle oil.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I just think something doesnt smell right about the whole idea. I went to Google and read several pages about adding ATF to oil and everybody says it has no real value and can damage the injectors. IF it was that good to use then ALL diesel's should be doing it. I've been truckin big rigs for almost 10 years now and we have never done it to a Kenworth or Mack. Keep in mind some folks will tell you what you want to hear so your engine will break over time and eventually somewhere down the line you'll have to spend big bucks. Its entirely up to you all as to what you put in your engine. I am no means a mechanic but I do my homework and read up and research about things before I up and go do something.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Dump Motor Oil or ATF in your Diesel ?
by Peter Hipson 11/10/2003

There is *no* advantage to adding motor oil, or transmission fluid to diesel fuel. Period.

There are disadvantages to doing this however, including damaged injector pumps (especially with turbo diesel electronic pumps), clogged filters, etc.

The manufacturer of our injector pumps strongly cautions against using either when their pumps are used.

There are many additives that are approved, and are in fact *much* cheaper than either motor oil, or transmission fluid. As an added bonus, these additives really work!

Most diesel fuels and engines don't need additives, but if you feel the urge to pour something else in the tank besides diesel fule, use a product that is *specifically designed for the purpose*.

Kerosene is added to diesel fuel by some suppliers, though in small quantitites. Kerosene has virtually no lubrication qualities--adding more (and an essientially unknown amount, since you don't know if or how much has already been added by the supplier!) is a sure way to cut the life of your injector pump. Kerosene is routinely added to home heating oil, in large quantities. The furnace doesn't know, or care. The furnace oil pump does not have the same clearances (they are more crude, greater clearances, lower pressure...) and the kerosene won't hurt them. Most will (and often do) run on straight kerosene--here in NH, if the oil tank is outside, the mix will be either 50/50 or straight kerosene. Kerosene doesn't have the same heat values either, you won't get the same amount of power from a gallon of kerosene as from heating oil, or diesel fuel.

#2 diesel fuel is basically #2 heating oil, with the exception that rather than adding kerosene the supplier will add an anti-gel additive. Costs more, but then it sells for more. In the summer, there is virtually no difference, other than legal issues. (again well debated).

Bottom line:

A wise owner will add nothing to the fuel tank that is not designed for the purpose. People who pour whatever they have at hand (motor oil, atf, gasoline additives (yes, some do!)) simply add to the profits that repair shops (such as mine) make. It is a big buck job to replace the injector pump, you dno't want to do it any more than necessary.

The 6.5s injector pump is good for at least 100K miles if not abused. Most owners get many more miles than that, however

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
Dump Motor Oil or ATF in your Diesel ?
by Peter Hipson 11/10/2003

There is *no* advantage to adding motor oil, or transmission fluid to diesel fuel. Period.

There are disadvantages to doing this however, including damaged injector pumps (especially with turbo diesel electronic pumps), clogged filters, etc.

The manufacturer of our injector pumps strongly cautions against using either when their pumps are used.

There are many additives that are approved, and are in fact *much* cheaper than either motor oil, or transmission fluid. As an added bonus, these additives really work!

Most diesel fuels and engines don't need additives, but if you feel the urge to pour something else in the tank besides diesel fule, use a product that is *specifically designed for the purpose*.

Kerosene is added to diesel fuel by some suppliers, though in small quantitites. Kerosene has virtually no lubrication qualities--adding more (and an essientially unknown amount, since you don't know if or how much has already been added by the supplier!) is a sure way to cut the life of your injector pump. Kerosene is routinely added to home heating oil, in large quantities. The furnace doesn't know, or care. The furnace oil pump does not have the same clearances (they are more crude, greater clearances, lower pressure...) and the kerosene won't hurt them. Most will (and often do) run on straight kerosene--here in NH, if the oil tank is outside, the mix will be either 50/50 or straight kerosene. Kerosene doesn't have the same heat values either, you won't get the same amount of power from a gallon of kerosene as from heating oil, or diesel fuel.

#2 diesel fuel is basically #2 heating oil, with the exception that rather than adding kerosene the supplier will add an anti-gel additive. Costs more, but then it sells for more. In the summer, there is virtually no difference, other than legal issues. (again well debated).

Bottom line:

A wise owner will add nothing to the fuel tank that is not designed for the purpose. People who pour whatever they have at hand (motor oil, atf, gasoline additives (yes, some do!)) simply add to the profits that repair shops (such as mine) make. It is a big buck job to replace the injector pump, you dno't want to do it any more than necessary.

The 6.5s injector pump is good for at least 100K miles if not abused. Most owners get many more miles than that, however
With that said (well said). Guess I ain't. (cranks up Plowboy in the back ground):D
Next....
Will

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That has a bad idea written all over it. I've never heard of anyone putting ATF in diesel fuel and I thought on my own it was a bad idea. So I went and did a little reading on that and its stated that it can harm injector pumps and filter. Here's what I found on that. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and read about it.

http://flashoffroad.com/Diesel/DieselFuel/about_diesel_fuel.htm
I no plenty of people who run ATF fluid every time they fill up the tank. I use it myself in all my diesels. No fuel supplier is going to tell you to add a product the will give the fuel more lubrication because it will smoke a little more. 5 yrs ago off road fuel had 2000 parts per million of sulfer in it. Todays fuel has a max of 15 (according to Jatt oil rep) The sulfer is the main lubrication in diesel fuel. Todays fuel in no way can lubricate the engine components as well as it did in the past. I put 25,000 hrs on a CAT 980 G with a 3406 engine and ran ATF in fuel on it without ever having a fuel related problem. Never had a injector, pump, or turbo replaced and it is still running now. It had 25,000 hrs on it over 2 yrs ago. Not sure but I bet it has over 30,000 on it now. On a side note I never had any fuel filter problems on it either. I understand that yall don't no me but I would never give any information that I wasn't sure about without saying in the first place that I was not sure. I would let you no if it was a guess. I had never heard of Kubota until I got one and it turned out great. Just because you never heard of something don't mean it won't work.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Like anything else in life you ask 10 different people the same question you'll get 10 different answer's. Me personally Im not adding anything to my fuel tank but diesel fuel. Bulldog I see your point about sulffer being the lubricant here. But by todays standards of emmission's compliant because of the EPA nazai's both new diesel engines and fresh new fuel are ok.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
One thing to keep in mind though. Your tractor was designed and built when you could buy good fuel. The fuel we have today just doesn't cut the mustard. Nobody but us owners care how long our tractors last. I do agree with you, the more you ask a question the more answers you get.

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
I don't mean to be a buzzkill :eek:, but I am more confused now than I was before reading all of this :confused:.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It would be hard to say what will and won't work until you try it for yourself and see the difference it makes on your machine. I'm sure Lucas makes a good product or they wouldn't be in business. Look how long STP, Heat, Gumout and the list goes on and on. Which is the best? Ask a fan of any of these products and each one will tell you that their stuff works the best. Who do you believe? I personally trust my own experience the most out of them all. I grew up using either Marvelle Mystery Oil or ATF fluid in all our diesel engines and Marvelle in the gas burners. I have faith in both these products and will continue to use them because they have proved to me that they work from my own use of them. Who can really say with 100% confidence that their product is the best or not.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I use Howe Diesel Fuel additive in my bulk fuel tank.... antigelling and stabilizer all in one. A bit pricy but works well... recommended to me by a Mobil Oil Petro engineer. Butch

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I wont use stp in anything to do with oil. REASON in 1967 yeah they had it back then. I was in military in oklahoma used it religiously. Brothinlaw had accident had to come home to Tenn. plymouth fury lost power in nashville. :eek:Went down hills good not up hills . Took to a garage when finally got home the mechanic called me and my dad down there. Dad was retired mechanic then. 2 mechanics ask have you been using stp in oil I said yes. They showed us the valve lifters and port going back to oil pan from head. They said stp (in those days stopped thes parts up). :(Had to rebuild engine never used again. dont mean to hijack thread but this happened to me so I know not hearsay I dont use it. handy

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I wont use stp in anything to do with oil. REASON in 1967 yeah they had it back then. I was in military in oklahoma used it religiously. Brothinlaw had accident had to come home to Tenn. plymouth fury lost power in nashville. :eek:Went down hills good not up hills . Took to a garage when finally got home the mechanic called me and my dad down there. Dad was retired mechanic then. 2 mechanics ask have you been using stp in oil I said yes. They showed us the valve lifters and port going back to oil pan from head. They said stp (in those days stopped thes parts up). :(Had to rebuild engine never used again. dont mean to hijack thread but this happened to me so I know not hearsay I dont use it. handy

Hey handy, there is no hijacking in the OTT, we all have something to say relevant to the thread.

The only thing that was ever good about STP was Richard Petty - The King :D

wiskey5th

Banned
Apr 18, 2010
Newfane, Vermont
OK, like a few others here I'm still confused:confused: Here in Vermont it tends to get a bit cold at times from November well into March. No heated garage here, just an open ended shed. Never had a diesel anything till last week. All my plow trucks have been gas and even with dry gas I've had fuel lines freeze. Guess my question is this., "what if anything should be used to prevent jelling"

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Whiskey5th.... I use HOWEs additative. What Howes does is just keep the pariffin from separating from the fuel in cold weather. If per chance you are storing bulk fuel (300 gal) I'd suggest something to preserve the fuel and prevent "crud" from forming. I use about 300 gal a year and the antigel is all I care about... Butch