What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Wheat, Oats, and rye are pretty common here. I think a lot depends on how wanting to the use the cover crops and the season when planting. This is a trial run for me…I’ve been fiddling with wheat but not much success.

Well okay then. I learned that grassy crops depleted nitrogen but legumes and root crops put it back. I didn’t really think before I asked the question. I can see the benefits of mulching in a straw crop for soil improvement too. I shredded all the dead plants and blew the chaff back on our little veggie patch this year. Last year I put some compost from a leaf pile that I’ve been dumping yard clippings on for 20 years. There were night crawlers in that stuff that looked like small snakes. The humus really improved the hard clay and sticky soil that the previous owners had dumped in the bed for irises. It’s a lot looser and more arable than before. I’m tilling deeper and seeing improvement with everything natural that I do to it, and much improved growth of the plants too. I’m relearning everything I knew as a kid and trying to have some decent veggies. The stuff we get at the supermarket will rot within a few days if we don’t use it, meaning we have to go more often wasting time and fuel. Still doing small scale stuff for now until I get my gardening skills honed in.

Reactions: 2 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Continuing putting posts in.

20231001_114752.jpg

20231001_122016.jpg

Got about ten left.

20231001_122034.jpg

Reactions: 11 users

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
L305DT, MX 5200, SVL 75-2, (Sold M7060))
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Wheat, Oats, and rye are pretty common here. I think a lot depends on how wanting to the use the cover crops and the season when planting. This is a trial run for me…I’ve been fiddling with wheat but not much success.

I'm also in this process of selecting a cover crop for a few acres that was cleared this pass summer. I have been in contact with AG extension office, and it looks I'm going with hybrid seed. $27 for 50lb bag, 70lbs per acre.

Dang near a desert where I'm at, with this ongoing drought. I planted 8 acres of improved grass seed earlier this month, because we had 5+ days of great chances of rain and yet Not a drop!
Ok, well that Bermuda seed mix needs to germinate a few inches before the soil temps drops below 65* probably $600 wasted.

Last edited:

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
We need rain down here in the South.
The large scale farmers can't even disc certain soils right now because it's so hard on the equipment.

My dad sent these photos to me yesterday, he is located 2hours East of me.

38" deep crack in the ground
30534324650206.jpeg

30534344576757.jpeg

Everything is stressed, then this morning he sends me another text while standing outside the church, the tree just snapped and broke off and hit the church.
Screenshot_20231001_111543_Messages~2.jpg

Everyone, please continue to pray for rain for everyone that needs it.

Reactions: 3 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Trained the wife on the B3200 to remove a tree that had fallen across our trails. She did great. Afterwards she jumped on the 1700 to mow. I am stuck watching and enjoying the view.

Attachments

Reactions: 8 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
We need rain down here in the South.
The large scale farmers can't even disc certain soils right now because it's so hard on the equipment.

My dad sent these photos to me yesterday, he is located 2hours East of me.

38" deep crack in the ground
View attachment 112960

View attachment 112959

Everything is stressed, then this morning he sends me another text while standing outside the church, the tree just snapped and broke off and hit the church.
View attachment 112961

Everyone, please continue to pray for rain for everyone that needs it.
It’s bad over here too, haven’t mowed since first of July, ground looks pretty similar

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
What wood are those posts? They don't look like the Black Locust we used when I was growing up in West Virginia
They're cedar. I'd say these are seconds at best but I'm not going for a magazine cover. I like how they weather over time to a bleached gray/white.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Well okay then. I learned that grassy crops depleted nitrogen but legumes and root crops put it back. I didn’t really think before I asked the question. I can see the benefits of mulching in a straw crop for soil improvement too. I shredded all the dead plants and blew the chaff back on our little veggie patch this year. Last year I put some compost from a leaf pile that I’ve been dumping yard clippings on for 20 years. There were night crawlers in that stuff that looked like small snakes. The humus really improved the hard clay and sticky soil that the previous owners had dumped in the bed for irises. It’s a lot looser and more arable than before. I’m tilling deeper and seeing improvement with everything natural that I do to it, and much improved growth of the plants too. I’m relearning everything I knew as a kid and trying to have some decent veggies. The stuff we get at the supermarket will rot within a few days if we don’t use it, meaning we have to go more often wasting time and fuel. Still doing small scale stuff for now until I get my gardening skills honed in.
I am trying / experimenting with different patches. In a couple patches I am trying some cover crops. But in some others, like the garlic I will cover them in straw for the winter. The straw I use for that mulching I planted directly into. Planting directly into the straw bales exceeded my expectations. I was really happy with that and as a plus I will use as a mulch or compost what remains from this years bales.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I'm also in this process of selecting a cover crop for a few acres that was cleared this pass summer. I have been in contact with AG extension office, and it looks I'm going with hybrid seed. $27 for 50lb bag, 70lbs per acre.

Dang near a desert where I'm at, with this ongoing drought. I planted 8 acres of improved grass seed earlier this month, because we had 5+ days of great chances of rain and yet Not a drop!
Ok, well that Bermuda seed mix needs to germinate a few inches before the soil temps drops below 65* probably $600 wasted.
Yeah, drier than a popcorn fart here too. I haven’t cut the lawn in at least a month. I try not to stress the.grass this late in the year, because I don’t have separate metering for watering that won’t jack up the sewer bill. We pay more for sewage than water. I see a rain collection system made from IBC totes in my future to ride out the dry spells without enriching the brothers-in-law of our city council.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
They're cedar. I'd say these are seconds at best but I'm not going for a magazine cover. I like how they weather over time to a bleached gray/white.
Way too much sap wood on those posts. The white wood will rot away leaving you with a very wobbly skinny post from the red heartwood. But they’re still a lot cheaper than treated post that will also rot in even less time than the natural cdar.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Trained the wife on the B3200 to remove a tree that had fallen across our trails. She did great. Afterwards she jumped on the 1700 to mow. I am stuck watching and enjoying the view.
Great! I still have to train my wife on the Kubota. Not looking forward to it.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Way too much sap wood on those posts. The white wood will rot away leaving you with a very wobbly skinny post from the red heartwood. But they’re still a lot cheaper than treated post that will also rot in even less time than the natural cdar.
Treated wood here is pure crap, just a extremely light coating. I'd say they spray a microscopic mist on it as it shoots through at 100mph.

These post will last long enough for my treeline to get established.

Siesta Sundance

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
youtube.com
Treated wood here is pure crap, just a extremely light coating. I'd say they spray a microscopic mist on it as it shoots through at 100mph.

Grandpa used to save all the old oil filters and oil. He would fill the old filters and let them drain out on top of the cedar posts.

• Haha

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Grandpa used to save all the old oil filters and oil. He would fill the old filters and let them drain out on top of the cedar posts.
He probably also used DDT at excessive rates so now we can’t even buy it!:unsure: :)

• Haha
  • Wow

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Well, I'm old enough to remember the province spraying waste oil on the dirt roads to keep the dust down. That wouldn't cause much commotion these days😄

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I am trying / experimenting with different patches. In a couple patches I am trying some cover crops. But in some others, like the garlic I will cover them in straw for the winter. The straw I use for that mulching I planted directly into. Planting directly into the straw bales exceeded my expectations. I was really happy with that and as a plus I will use as a mulch or compost what remains from this years bales.
Here are the first (today) squash picked from what planted in the straw bales…

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Y

Yeah if it stays relatively dry, they’ll last quite a while I take it you’re planting a preferred species along the fence line. Is that going to be functional fence, or a reminder to adjacent owners where the property line is?

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Y

Yeah if it stays relatively dry, they’ll last quite a while I take it you’re planting a preferred species along the fence line. Is that going to be functional fence, or a reminder to adjacent owners where the property line is?
More of a reminder. If we do get any animals they will be on the smaller side and I would probably just do an electric fence. That way I can move them as they eat there way around. I hope to have 50-60 trees transplanted this fall if weather permits. I'll work my way do the line as time and money permit.