What can we learn from this experience?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
When all the TP shortage was beginning I asked my wife how much TP did she buy, how often, how much does it cost? She said she just buys it when we need it, didn't really know how often, or how much it cost.

So I did my own testing. On 4/20 I installed a new roll in the bath room I use 100% and she uses like 40%. Tomorrow is one month and there is still about 1/4" of paper on the roll. So I looked up Wal-Mart TP and priced out Charmin 12 maga rolls at $13.

So the paper is like $1.10 per roll, one roll per month. One year 12 rolls, $13 dollars per year cost.

Even if my figures are off 50% for someone else, there has to be a bunch of FOOLS out buying things. It really shows how Americans believe almost all they hear on the news, and read on the Web. It is a sad testimony.
I too took stock in what we use. At the start of this we had about 48 rolls of TP in the house. Current count we are down to around 36 rolls.

We used the members mark brand TP from Sam's club. The rolls are about 2/3 the size of the charmin mega rolls. And last about 2.5 to 3 weeks per bathroom. So 1 roll about every 1.25 to 1.5 weeks. Either way, one of those 40 packs of TP lasts us around 6 to 8 months depending on the bowels.

We have bought some extra periodically when we have found it. So at the moment we are sitting on one 12 pack of the charmin mega rolls. And two 4 packs of of some no name extra soft 2 ply similar to the members mark.

Plus two 4 packs of angel soft we dropped off at our daughter's house yesterday. The no name stuff and the charmin will probably get divided between my sons household and our nieces household since each household has at least 4 people in it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

boz1989

Equipment
B2910 fel 60 mmm, Land Pride rb1572
Jun 10, 2015
Portland, MI
I sure hope the dairy organizations can put pressure on the supply chain to be more versatile, so milk can be diverted, processed and stored appropriately. Seemed odd to me the week I went to Krogers and no shelf stable milk, and none to be had on Amazon, no powdered milk, and no skim milk at another store. Fresh milk available following week. For the love of mike does everything have to be so bloody specialized that a distributor only delivers gallon containers to restaurants? Don't answer that, I am just complaining.

As for plowing under veggies, that has to do with borders being closed to the legal migrant workers. If some of those people sitting on their butts complaining would volunteer to get in their cars and drive out and pick tomatoes for half a day, staying 6 feet apart, they could stay safe and help some farmer out. I would help if I could.
If you want, contact MMPA in Ovid, they make powdered milk and butter there. I don't know about the powdered milk, but I know you can buy butter. The only catch, it is a 25kg block of butter.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That's interesting Boz, I looked at their website. 50 some odd lbs of butter or powdered milk would last me quite a while. Hopefully they can utilize any local surpluses.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya can freeze butter, I go through maybe a pound in 10 days,,,

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Going to be hard to get the typical North American raised youngster to work in the field. The virus has little to do with it. Most have been raised to not have a clue what real physical work is. Not normally a big problem for them because they can stand around at the convenience store, shoe shop, clothing store or other retail outlet while not having to deal with the weather and natures little creatures.
If you want proof of this just look how many families with teenage kids have a lawn care crew mow the yard while little fat Johnny plays video games. Young ( to me ) families don't cook, it's fast food or heat& heat .
Remember when instead of " food stamps " & the lo -income debit card , welfare folks got " commodities ". Cheese, powdered milk, peanut butter, etc.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
" commodities ". Cheese, powdered milk, peanut butter, etc.

Those items are still available. It's called Community Senior Services Center here, but on particular days there are commodities available to all.