Well... It’s Finally A COLD DAY IN HELL. !!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Got a chance to go to my place in the high country for a few days, just got back yesterday. I was planning to bring the tractor home for some improvements and a possible job for a neighbor, so I hauled my utility trailer up there to have room to park the dump trailer down here in the lowlands.
I decided to use the tractor to pull the dump out & swap the utility trailer into the garage. It was 39F when I began, and old Brutus fired on the first try after a 17 click glow.
Put the tractor away for a couple days, and then went to start it to load it in the dump trailer. It was 28F, and I glowed for 20 clicks. It would not start. Took at least 5 tries using long glows and the decomp knob over maybe 15 mins. After it warmed up, it's back to normal starting. What a difference 11 degrees makes.

GeoHorn- Beautiful dog, reminds me of my long gone buddy, Einstein.

Einstein  portrait r.jpg jpg.jpg

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
So we go out on frozen lakes and spend the entire day outside lol....
Looks like some pretty cool ice fishing equipment. Would love to try ice fishing, but I'm allergic to cold.

Reactions: 1 user

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Looks like some pretty cool ice fishing equipment. Would love to try ice fishing, but I'm allergic to cold.
I'm with you. Getting pretty tired of the cold. But, to be honest, I would say most ice fishing is done in a tee shirt and snow pants with plenty of "liquid heat" we'll call it. Fishing in an ice shanty really isn't too bad. Pretty easy to heat up 50 sq. ft of shanty stuffed with 3 full grown men.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
In the past I’d read about the guys online here that discussed ad nauseam which Anti-Gel additive to use...and after the umpteenth discussion-thread on that subject I quit “clicking” on them in search of a more interesting topic. Diesel doesn’t “gel” until it gets colder than 15-F. Never thought I’d have to face the problem. :ROFLMAO: It’s Six-Degrees here right now and forecast to drop further tomorrow night.
I know a guy who knows a guy who runs some tow trucks down by Sioux City (150 interstate miles south of me). He makes a lot of money in the fall when the Texas trucks get up to there and gel up. I guess his he'll have to move south!

I have some fuel that I bought in November and put in a glass jar. It was cloudy last week at -10 and not solid but not really flowable at -29. Glad I have treated #1 in the tractor, but sure don't want to start it at those temps. Anybody who has tried to pour oil at -20 will understand the damage you're doing at that point.

Citizens and “Authorities” are all acting crazy over this... They are actually deliberately instituting “rolling blackouts” as a “Preventive Measure” to avoid excess energy use! (This is in an area that has 5 hydro-electric lakes, and a wholly-owned (Austin Energy) atomic energy plant down on the coast....
Texas is getting a "perfect storm" type event right now. The wind turbines are freezing up, there's not enough natural gas in the pipelines ('cause "green energy--we don't need no hydrocarbins). Also, Texas is not connected to either of the huge "interconnections" of the grid (we have Eastern, which actually gets out to us, Western, and Texas).

meanwhile warning citizens to be careful, stay warm, and look after the elderly.... while THEY reduce power. Doh).
Meanwhile, local television is making an announcement which they apparently believe is “News”.... Their statement is: “If you go out driving... You are on your own!”

Is that something new for anybody?
It seems a self-imposed idiocy is going around.
😅

Pretty common to "pull the plows" and say there will be no plowing or tow trucks. Normally for a few hours ( 10 pm till dawn is common), but sometimes for a few days. Even when they "close" the interstate they don't put down the gates. You're free to go on it, but ain't nobody coming to help. Even when the interstate is "closed" they keep plowing an exit to either side of the medium to big towns so that the local police/fire/ambulances can use that as a local road.

...Had the foresight to know I was gonna have trouble with gate latches and locks so I took a propane torch, that worked ok.
Thanks for the reminder. I need to keep a small propane tank inside when it gets cold. It doesn't have a lot of pressure at -20. The big tank in the yard works fine, but the little disposable ones do not. I need to see how the MAP works, but I haven't let that get that cold

Last edited:

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Got up this morning to a cold house, they said to lower thermostat so I did. Tuned on the coffee pot and checked the cell phone and on the home screen it says 1 degree, and it was inside, geepers.........

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I'm with you. Getting pretty tired of the cold. But, to be honest, I would say most ice fishing is done in a tee shirt and snow pants with plenty of "liquid heat" we'll call it. Fishing in an ice shanty really isn't too bad. Pretty easy to heat up 50 sq. ft of shanty stuffed with 3 full grown men.
thanks to COVID our yearly fishing tip was cancelled. It’s the only time I use a hut. Fishing local, we are usually just out on the ice. If its really windy or cold, we light a fire near shore and the watch the flags on the tip ups. If I’m jigging, I drill a hole next to the footrest on my atv and just sit on it. Using the atv to block the wind.

for those of you not used to the cold, the key is good gear and layers. With my boots I have I’m good to -50c, always have at least 2 pairs of gloves. Usually mittens for riding the quad, I also have heated grips.. best $100 accessory IMO.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
for those of you not used to the cold, the key is good gear and layers. With my boots I have I’m good to -50c, always have at least 2 pairs of gloves. Usually mittens for riding the quad, I also have heated grips.. best $100 accessory IMO.
You left out a different key. Move farther south. Well, unless you're already south of the Equator. That's the only time to move north. I'm just not good at cold weather. Anything below 70 is thermal underwear weather to me.

Just kidding, of course. There's some beautiful country up north and I don't break out the long handles until it's below 68, but I'd much rather deal with snow in pictures. I don't ski (water or snow). I tried the water skiing thing once. My brain said "let go!" when I fell, but my body said "Hell NO!" I'm a better submarine than I am a water skier, and I ain't good at that either. Something about the lack of gills ..... The lake I tried to learn in is a lot clearer now, and maybe was at a historic low level that weekend. I filtered most of it through my nose and swallowed the rest. Not sure where all that water went. I'm pretty sure a lot more went in than came out. I decided everyone that told me it was fun to do lied to me. That was 40 years ago, and I haven't tried again since. I learn faster than some people do, especially when self preservation is a factor. As for snow skiing, two words: Sonny Bono. OK, five. Add on Jack Kennedy, Jr. There's something inherently wrong with strapping two boards to your feet and pushing yourself off a mountain. That's a lot like jumping out of an airplane that isn't on fire and falling. It could happen to me, but someone (or maybe just a body part) is going with me, and probably unintentionally. I just had rotator cuff surgery back in June because of this kind of weather down here. Slipped on my front steps and grabbed the handrail on the way down. Ripped my right rotator cuff, completely. Then I went down 9 steps anyway on my keester. So much for the handrail safety theories. That little event wasn't very good for a bulging disc in my lower back (L3/L4) either. Like I said, I'm allergic to winter, particularly the medical bills it typically brings around here. I can buy two brand new Kubota LX2610's for the price of one rotator cuff, if that puts it in perspective.

BTW, could someone please ask Canada to close the door. I'm in Central Alabama, and we have 2 inches of snow this morning. The day is officially cancelled here.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

GeoHorn- Beautiful dog, reminds me of my long gone buddy, Einstein.

View attachment 54942 View attachment 54943
Lil Foot; We were a Labrador family and when our last dog-daughter was gone and we got over the crying we decided “no more dogs”... we’re going to go travelling and bought an Airstream and headed out.... but the neighboring rancher (a drunk heiress who hated everyone and expected everything to come to her) kept killing horses and other animals by starvation and dehydration by turning off the water in the summertime while she was drunk ... and answered ads like “free dog to good home” ...even tho’ she abused them mercilessly, kicking, screaming, and starving them.....
This was one of those.... the dog was discovered hiding beneath our back porch and getting meals from the scraps we throw off the porch for the wildlife. She was timid, frightened, skinny, and afraid.... I blew kisses to her and sweet-talked her into coming out from the porch and fed her properly.... and she began hanging around but afraid of us...
She lived under our rosemary bush for a year and a half while her owner accused us of trying to steal “her dog”. I told the woman “She’s YOUR dog... but we don’t mind her hanging around... We never lock her up... if she wanted to come back to you she’s free to do so. We named her “Queenie”....and after about 3 months she began to respond to that name....but she was wild and wary.... and she had dug/hollowed-out a depression under our large rosemary and that’ where she lived, rain or shine.
Then, one winter it got down to 17-degrees one evening and I told my wife “We simply cannot let that dog stay outside in this bitter weather....”. my wife was dubious because she always acted so wild..... But I opened the door and called to her. She slipped around the corner of the house and I pointed to a place in front of the fireplace and she trotted thru the door, went over and curled up in front of the fire and stayed there the entire night.
She proved to be a VERY WELL-BEHAVED dog in the house! That was 5 years ago, and within a few more months became an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT PERSONALITY dog! She’s the sweetest, loving, playful and obedient family member and greets anyone and everyone with Joy when they arrive. Delivery-Men sometimes act frightened of her because of her size and enthusiasm for people.... but once the UPS man or the Amazon or FedEx guy figured out how sweet and playful she is..... they LOVE HER.
And she GIVES IT BACK!

THANKS, Lil Foot. ..now, SHE’S FAMILY!

(Pics, in-order: Waiting for me to catch-up for the evening walk.
Swimming in the Rio Grande in Big Bend (Leash requirement in the State Park)
Playing chase in the snow this week. “Hey Daddy... You wanna run with me...??”
Last Spring: She loves to “herd” me when I ride the RTV.... she’s FAST. I”ve seen her run-down a jackrabbit, trip the animal...then sit and watch its confusion when it realizes she doesn’t intend to eat it. It’s the funniest behavior I’ve ever seen in a dog...she just LOVES to RUN!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Thanks for the reminder. I need to keep a small propane tank inside when it gets cold. It doesn't have a lot of pressure at -20. The big tank in the yard works fine, but the little disposable ones do not. I need to see how the MAP works, but I haven't let that get that cold
[/QUOTE]

Funny you mention that, my co worker just learned this lesson with his furnace. Apparently at about -42°c, propane will not turn to a gas to flow. So his furnace quit. The solution is an electric blanket of proper certification on/ around the tank. Just got to keep it above -42 on those coldest of days. Volume in the tank plays a part as well and could effect the performance by a few ‘degrees’.
With these electric shortages in places.... is it because of a loss of generation, I’d think you guys run A/C all the time in the summer, those use as much juice as an electric heater.....?

thats a heartbreaking/warming story Geo. There’s a special place for people like your neighbour who abuse animals. Our dogs have all been rescues from places where they likely would not have survived many more days. All been great family members, the slobbering and shedding and skunk chasing is all easily forgiven :)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
...as of two months ago...she’s there... someone found her on her bedroom floor.

Thunder chicken: “With these electric shortages in places.... is it because of a loss of generation, I’d think you guys run A/C all the time in the summer, those use as much juice as an electric heater.....?”

Apparently it‘s due to lack of experience with such severe winter conditions. Ice damage and such are causing transmission line damage. Austin is downstream of 5 nearby hydroelectric plants and participated years ago in a controversial atomic energy plant and has it’s own electric utility plants in town... generating capacity is not the problem... it’s infrastructure damage from heavy ice accumulations. Texans south of Amarillo just ain’t prepared for this sort of thing beyond a day or two.
I’m not a ”prepper”.... but a 70+ year-old Boy Scout living out in the country is and will “ BE PREPARED” .... it’s the city-dwellers who are in trouble power-wise.

Last edited:

L275

Equipment
L275F, L2850D, BF500 Loader, FS1020, M5-4 Cutter, 500 PostDigger, CRB60 Blade...
Jun 8, 2019
Naples, FL.
I don't mind the cold as long as it doesn't get below 70 F since i haven't found my jacket yet.
The iguanas may start falling out of our trees if it gets too cold and my mango and coconut trees don't like Extremely cold weather like around 69 F and below.
Just looking at the pictures of snow makes me cold. ;) I had to move farther south with the snowbirds when my bones started aching too much all winter.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I find it interesting how much Texas is struggling with the winter storm.

Our hottest record temp here is 117F and the coldest is -36f. We typically in a year will see a few days above 100 and few days below zero. So, I'm guessing because of the extremes in both directions we have had to harden our electrical system for both.

Reading Geohorn's reply has helped me understand why they are struggling so much, because like others I assumed that they would have more than enough electric due to the summer demand for it. I didn't think about the supply chain since I take for granted that all areas have worked to harden their systems. Our area went through a major upgrade in the 1990s after an ice storm took down power to the large portion of the area for over week.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
ONe of the hilarious things about this power-gird issue in Texas is how the politicians ...(especially our Governor who of late is on the TV every day for hours pontificating about the economy, the virus, how some cities should be punished for running their cities like their citizens want instead of how HE thinks it should be done... I suspect he must be positioning to nati’l office next go-around.....(from a guy who previously was a strong opponent of “over-reach” by higher gov’t politicians)...... politicians are all suddenly blaming the ERCOT system THEY CREATED ....in order to prevent the Federal Gov’t from regulating Texas power..... ERCOT..a one-of-a-kind TEXAS ONLY power-grid....to which THEY appointed a chairman WHO LIVES IN MICHIGAN ...!!! :ROFLMAO: :D:LOL::ROFLMAO:😅😅

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Grid-Map.png

Here’s a very condensed version of the electrical grid system and its basic operation from a retired tech’s viewpoint. The system is divided up into major areas of operation as denoted by the different colors on the map. Each area is managed by different entities as noted by the white letters. (you can google the letters for the names/descriptions.) The guidelines for the operation of the electrical generation & distribution within each area (whether it be by coal, natural gas, propane, wind, solar, hydro, etc.) are governed by the major agency of that particular area. Those agencies and the local utilities all interact with each other on a daily basis as needed.

Note the heavy black and red lines connecting the different areas. These are major interconnect power lines of 345KV, 500KV and above. (KV=Kilovolts) These are used to “ship” power (from generation facilities, primarily) to where it’s needed within its own area and to other areas when needed. This can happen for major outages caused by storm damage, power demand due to extreme temperature swings, major outages for routine maintenance on the generation plants and transmission lines themselves, system reliability, etc. All of which is basically governed or overseen by those managing agencies.

You’ll notice that ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas) has no major electrical interconnect power lines to the other areas. It may have some now (depending on how old the chart is). But it used to be pretty much a stand alone electrical system with no major power ties to areas outside of its own.

With the birth and growth of wind & solar energy, few to no new fossil fuel generation plants have been built nationwide. Many have even been decommissioned. Those plants along with hydro have been supplying the “base load” (what it takes to run the country with maybe a little excess to spare to cover the emergencies). But it’s at the point now where the green energy growth is taking over more and more of that “base load” of generation from the fossil fuel and hydro plants. The problem is there is no technology yet to store that green energy long enough to carry it through a few days of emergencies. The trouble with that is: For solar, the sun doesn’t shine 24 hours a day. For wind energy: The turbines shut down if it gets too cold, too hot. They also shut down if the windspeed is too great. And of course no wind = no power.

Generally, those conditions can occur when that power is needed the most. That “make up” power was able to be supplied by the fossil fuel plants. But remember, now there is getting to be so much more green energy generated that they have taken over a larger portion of that “base load” capabilities of those generators so that when huge demand for power takes place because of weather related events, wild temperature swings, there is now getting to be a shortage of fossil fuel generation available to supply those temporary demands.

Thus, those agencies have to resort to rolling blackouts or other extreme measures to protect and keep that electrical grid from collapsing (shutting down completely). Restarting the complete grid is a complicated process, to say the least. You can’t just plug it back in all at the same time and it takes major coordination between all of those areas and agencies. Trying to bring it back into operation all at once would be like turning on every appliance, light, electric heater, motors, tvs, radios, electric tools, etc. that you own and plug them all into one cable and then when you get your little standby generator running…..slam that plug into the generator’s receptacle. The resulting inrush current will blow fuses at best and damage a lot of your goods at worst.

The same scenario applies to the electrical grid across the country. Who gets power first and when? What type of loads get power first and when? Whose area is most important? Who should wait for their power to be restored? All of these decisions are coordinated by those managing agencies.

The problems in Texas seem to be the result of a “perfect storm”. Time will tell after its all back together and analyzed as to what went wrong and why so much difficulty. The cause can probably be spread all around to include the extreme weather pattern, lack of interconnection to the major power grid and different areas, not enough local “base load” generation capabilities & too much reliance on green energy, questionable management procedures, etc. It all ties together with there being no one simple answer.

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
In Texas there is about 25 to 30% generation from wind and solar now. That has failed due to the freezing rain on the wind turbines and snow on the solar panels. In addition there are failures in several fossil fuel plants due to cold (lack of natural gas supply since most people are burning it to heat their house, techs can’t get to work...) and there was a lack of planning for the severity of the storms.

Also the hydro generation is limited since the water storage is low and has to be held for drinking water and water for the rice farmers in the summer. We can’t count on spring rains that will normally fill the lakes.

There seems to be an overwhelming demand vs supply and no plan to supplement the generation side from outside the state. In 2011 a similar problem occurred and power was purchased from Mexico. I have no idea why that’s not happening.

I also cannot figure out why lights are left on in empty office buildings and street lights are on but I guess no one planned to reduce the demand in advance of the storm.

Edit =Birddogger was typing at the same time and explained it in better detail and more technically. Thank you bird dogger

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
When I flew for the State of Texas I departed just after sunset one evening with John Sharp who had recently been elected Comptroller of Public Accounts... taking him to a meeting in Laredo to discuss sales tax collections on cross-border transactions. As we climbed up over the city he looked out the window and saw the LBJ Building (which houses the main offices of the Comptroller) fully illuminated office windows.... He asked me if he could use his cell phone in-flight and I said, “Sure!”
He immediately called his chief of staff and told him to “get downtown and turn those @#$% lights OFF in ANY office not presently being used!” ON return the next day he issued an order that the last person out of their offices in the evening WILL turn OFF THE LIGHTS!
His “Performance Review” saved taxpayers more than $1Billion his first year.

John is now Chancellor of A&M University and anyone familiar with that school’s activities and finances will know why they’re doing so well. (And he was Aggie student president Class of ‘72) (y)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
All of this is sounding like a fine spring day here in North Idaho!

One factor that is hurting Texas and the like on the power grid is that a lot of homes use electric heat.
To many people calling for Heat (power) at the same time quickly overloads the system.

I just watched a Video of a couple with a small child in Texas Crying about the fact that they had run out of groceries, this is after just a couple days without power.
For me that's plum scary to think about someone not having enough to last a week or more!
I would estimate was have enough reserve food to last several months without having to resort to anything weird or drastic.

Reactions: 2 users