Water wetter? Thoughts?

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
I have B2710 with a MMM. When running it in high gear at near PTO speed the engine slowly creeps up to really hot. If I stop and let it idle for 15 minutes it will go right back to normal.

I'm wondering if a product like Water Wetter will keep her running cool.

I made a V-8 S-10 in 1990 and used the 4.3 V6 radiator and an electric fan and could never really run the AC or sit in traffic without problems. I put a quart of Water Wetter in it and never had another problem.

I know these are two different beasts. Different rpm ranges and cooling systems. I'm just wondering if it will actually help the B2710 at full load.

I am not picking one brand over any other, I am just familiar with Water Wetter.

Semper Fi,
Steve

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
Have you tried running a garden hose thru the radiator from fan side?? Even the chaff screen doesn't catch all the dirt and grass and it will build up in radiator fins...can't see it from the outside, but they will plug up enough to cause the issue you are having. It will take quite a bit of flushing from backside to clean it out.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would second the radiator too - clean it and then clean it again.
Check belt tension on water pump (if it has one) Cut back you antifreeze too - like back to 70-30 Water to antifreeze.

As with all overheatings - either a head gasket or flow problem or radiator problems!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
as to Water Wetter..... some have said that it only "seems" to improve the temps cause the product puts a coat on the temp sensor that in return gives a false lower temp reading. Have NO CLUE if this is true. Just reporting something to go hmmmmm???

Now go clean the shiat out of your radiator...... outside..... and if needed inside.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Instead of just water on the radiator, I'd suggest a good spritzing with Purple Power, Simple Green... let it soak for 20/30 minutes then give it the flushing. It helps break the dirt loose, especially if there's any oil has ever been on the cooling fins.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Engine Ice is used in dirt bikes, because after 2-3 hard laps those little radiators are getting munged up quick. Helps them finish the race.

Theres always a bunch of overheating or running too hot threads this time of year, most of the time the radiator needs a good thorough cleaning to fix problem.

My L175 radiator was soo gunked up, I removed it from machine, and let it soak in a bin of warm water and Ajax for 3 hours. Flushed it internally and reinstalled, moved way more air after that.

I clean the pull-out screen on my BX23S after every use. It has such a tiny rad, itll plug up even faster...

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Thats why they make air cooled dirt bikes
And they make half the HP of the water cooled bikes. :p

I remember racing open class Desert in the 80's. I ran a Suzuki '81 PE400. (air cooled)Then... in 1985, a switched to a water cooled YZ125. Wow... what a difference in power.

Anyway... as the guys above have said... clean the radiator... but I have used "Water Wetter" and other similar additives in bikes to help the little radiators. (especially in the woods where the speed and airflow is low) But with a tractor... it's probably a Band-Aid on a problem that should be checked directly.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Straight water is one of the best coolants you can have. But it does not provide any lubrication,. corrosion or freeze protection. So we add an additive like good old Prestone(tm).
As far as cooling, it is a combination of the design of the internal passage ways, coolant speed, radiator volume, radiator surface area and air flow. So unless there is a design flaw in the engine, you can try to increase air flow or install a larger radiator. However, my own experience has been that the OEM radiator size is typically adequate (except in extreme heat/low humidity) and most problems come from debris clogging it or very old or insufficient coolant.

Last edited:

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
Also by adding antifreeze you increase the boiling point of the water and increase the efficiency as well.

Maybe it needs to be changed, when was it last changed?

Ray

Attachments

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
You increase the boiling point but loose thermal efficiency. Their are three main types of glycol in the HVAC world. Ethylene being the most efficient and Propylene being the most environmentally friendly but not as efficient.

Nothing has the heat transfer that straight water has.

Jpatrick

Equipment
BX1850, L210, Various 3 point implements
Apr 4, 2017
Buckingham, Pa
I think trying to work around this issue with additives is just ignoring the root cause of the problem. As others have said, you probably are getting grass clippings in the radiator.

I had this problem, and found the radiator and pre-screen were plugged with grass clippings and leaf dust. Now I use an electric leaf blower to clean out the tractor and the radiator/pre-screen after each use, and now it doesn't run hot.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Water wetter's and similar products reduce the surface tension of the coolant reducing the formation of bubbles on hot spots. The bubbles act like insulators leading to overheating and cavitation. These products will reduce coolant temps by improving efficiency. Heavy duty diesel coolants typically have similar additives already added.
I recommend adding to all cooling systems AFTER cleaning the inside and outside of the system. They are a good addition not a fix for bad.

amsoilman

Equipment
L2510 w/Loader
Water wetter's and similar products reduce the surface tension of the coolant reducing the formation of bubbles on hot spots. The bubbles act like insulators leading to overheating and cavitation. These products will reduce coolant temps by improving efficiency. Heavy duty diesel coolants typically have similar additives already added.
I recommend adding to all cooling systems AFTER cleaning the inside and outside of the system. They are a good addition not a fix for bad.
I agree with Jeff. I sell Amsoil and our Coolant Boost does reduce operating temperatures. Mostly muscle car guys buy it from me.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
A good clean cooling system both inside and out, with a good working pump and thermostat, filled with the proper level of antifreeze and water, does not need any other additives. The manufacturers design their cooling systems to meet the need of the engine. If you have to add any additive to the cooling system to make it cool enough there is something else wrong.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I completely agree with the concept of manufactures know what they are doing and all should work as designed. One of the reasons I stress make it right first. I just like the extra edge some additives provide plus the fact my tractors are 25 - 35 years old. The cooling system will never be 10 years old again!

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
Thanks for all the responses.

To clear things up a little, the tractor is decades old now and actually has a new radiator. I could not have the old one repaired because its aluminum with plastic tanks. I miss the old copper radiators.

Anyway; the water pump was replaced along with the hoses, thermostat and even the recovery tank at the same time as the radiator.

At this point I am thinking its crud in the block/scaling etc. The engine runs great, just a little hot.

I did put a quart of the stuff in and I can only get it to thermostat now. I am not advocating anything but it has seemed to work nicely for an older (probably neglected) engine.

All of that said, I researched this and that and antifreeze sites as well and if you read the bottle you can, in a warm climate run straight water and enough of this to give the protection and lube needed.

Anyway; it has fixed my immediate problem and I will have to watch and see where it leads me.

If your machine has not been neglected to the point of mine then everyone is correct, clean, clean and then clean again before this is what you have.

Semper fi,

Under another step-child tractor tomorrow to fix high pressure side of hydraulic lines. Oy.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I am also of the belief that the snake oil additive world is full of crap with the exception of water wetter. I also agree that a properly operating system should stay cool, but, over time many variables come into play that effect that efficiency and if there's an easy solution like water wetter it's worth a shot. I've only used it once in a modified Hayabusa motorcycle but it actually solved my overheating issue much to my surprise. Glad to hear it's working for you too.