Water contaminated hydraulic/trans fluid

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
NIW's idea is smart. Watch for convection currents though. You might end up just remixing things if you get them moving around. Been there done that when removing water from waste vegetable oil.

With that in mind....... see if you can find a WVO users in your area. They might have a centrifuge like device they use to remove water. had two myself, but they got stolen :mad:

Common types are:
http://www.dieselcraft.com/waste-vegetable-oil-cleaning.php
http://utahbiodieselsupply.com/centrifugewvo.php

course the dieselcraft you can use to clean your engine lube oil AND your Hydro oil year round. Their products main use is for big rig lube oil cleaning as they drive. Their WVO unit is same thing just used in an orginal way... an idea first done by WVO fuel users; then dieselcraft themselves just climbed the bandwagon and packaged it for that purpose.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
All,

I have enjoyed the rhetoric/ideas/etc.

As a hard working and frugal individual (as you all are), I am going to take the plunge and do the vacuum/cooker. Just to be clear, I am going to replace the current fluid with walmart and put the drained fluid back into those buckets. That will allow to keep running during this experiment.

I will also document the items purchased, build, before fluid and after. I think even if you don't want to try this it will at least be informative.

It will be a month or so before I start snapping pics because of weather and other things but I will do it. (Got to pick up a OEM bt900 12" bucket on Saturday. Always looking out for this great machine, just need to figure out how to take care of it.) For the record I am trying to figure out a name for HER. Call me old fashioned.

semper fi

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Steve,
I think your going to find that running generic fluid in it will really mess with the GST, especially if it's cold.
It's fine for flushing out water and junk but as a working fluid it not good.
If I try to run that in mine it doesn't shift anywhere near right.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If you're really interested in our advise Wolfman just gave you some to live by. We may all have different opinions on what brand of oil is the best but it's a fact the cheap fluid will never perform like the SUDT or SUDT2.

Aside from the external filtering system, in my opinion your best bet is going to be drain and fill with cheap fluid, run then drain again and then fill with good fluid. May even have to flush it 2x before the good fluid goes back in.

I can understand the need for saving money but in the long run the price of fluid is much less than repair cost on the machine. Which ever way you chose to handle the problem keep us informed on your progress so we'll know how it turns out.

steveInMaryland

Equipment
L35, b2710
Nov 23, 2015
marriotsville, MD, USA
If you're really interested in our advise Wolfman just gave you some to live by. We may all have different opinions on what brand of oil is the best but it's a fact the cheap fluid will never perform like the SUDT or SUDT2.

Aside from the external filtering system, in my opinion your best bet is going to be drain and fill with cheap fluid, run then drain again and then fill with good fluid. May even have to flush it 2x before the good fluid goes back in.

I can understand the need for saving money but in the long run the price of fluid is much less than repair cost on the machine. Which ever way you chose to handle the problem keep us informed on your progress so we'll know how it turns out.
Folks,

OK. Lets back on track. I respect the SUDT/SUDT2 argument 100 percent. I am agreeing that's the best stuff for this machine.

Now, my original intent was how do I save the under 100 hours SUDT in this machine. I apologize if that wasn't clear. It is 10 gallons in this case and not cheap.

That fluid is still in the machine (and it is killing me but there is nothing I can do with the weather and no shop), the plan is to take that out and work with it. The walmart cheap s**t will get me running for one month at a time while i figure this out and will be recycled and NOT left in the machine.

So, this is not a cheap out question, I could replace it, I am trying to re-use/save and investment I have already made and without question you are my knowledge base.

Respects to my knowledgeable comrades,
Steve

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Steve, if you try the cooker please report back. I'll be honest, I would toss the fluid and listen to my wallet cry so I'm now curious if a home made rig like you describe can save the oil. I don't see where you have anything to loose because the fluid is bad now so you can really make it worse. Keep us posted and don't blow the cooker up.