Wanting to add an extended run fuel tank to my Kubota 11k lowboy diesel generator

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
I am looking for knowledgeable input on how to this might be done. Can I just replace the existing fuel cap with a cap that is made to add an extended run fuel capacity? Most of the ones I have found are for gasoline systems so I don't know if this type of cap would work for a diesel.

I am planning to mount the extended run tank slightly higher than the generator so I can get gravity flow. If this is a good idea I wonder about the additional head of fuel and will it cause the main tank to over flow or will the extended run cap on the original fuel tank seal against any leak from the extended run tank being hooked in to it?

Another idea is to mount the extended run tank at the same level as the existing generator tank and just "T" the hose into the existing fuel hose from the generator tank. I could put a shut off valve on the line from the extended run tank in case I would ever need to remove the line of ???

Am I approaching this in the wrong way?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Option #2 is best....
'T' and shutoff valves( both tanks..)
allows you to run from either tank anytime.
simple, works, cost effective.....

Reactions: 1 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I added an 'Aux' tank to my gasoline portable genset. Just mounted on the handles so it would be above the level of the main tank and thus 'gravity' feed.

Tee'd into the main fuel line. I have shut off valves naturally. You have to come up with some version of a non-vented cap to prevent overflow. So I just ordered a spare fuel cap and JB welded the vent part of it closed. I use that cap when I use the Aux tank. The regular cap when not.

There are various ways to do what you are wanting to do.

Big Red1.jpg
BR Gen Aux Tank2.jpg
BR Gen Aux Tank3.jpg
BR Gen Aux Tank4.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You could mount the other tank how ever you like if you just put a check valve in each fuel line so that one tank does not over flow to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

War Eagle

Equipment
2012 B3000HSDC and Allis Chalmer 5020
Jan 15, 2017
Nampa, Idaho
Thank you all for your input. It gives me enough confidence to move forward with my project.