want to add grapple

blenderbender

Equipment
B3000
Mar 5, 2016
Eastern Ohio
I have a B-3000 with a quick attach adapter on FEL and would like to add a small (48") grapple. Is there a best/easiest/cheapest solution to adding the hydraulics up front or should I just run hoses from my single rear remotes? Thanks in advance..... Gary

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a B-3000 with a quick attach adapter on FEL and would like to add a small (48") grapple. Is there a best/easiest/cheapest solution to adding the hydraulics up front or should I just run hoses from my single rear remotes? Thanks in advance..... Gary
You can get a third function valve, that will just pipe into the existing loader control circuit.

Or if you want to stay cheap yeas a couple hoses from the back will work, just remember it's hard to run the loader control and the rear hydraulics at the same time, and to operate a grapple efficiently that's pretty much required. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks! After poking around a bit I'm seeing they're worth anywhere from $280-$1025. The cheapest is: https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Mu...ocphy=9006313&hvtargid=pla-570877569023&psc=1

Any idea why this wouldn't do the job?
That's a diverter valve not a third function valve, different animals.

A diverter valve swaps the roll or grapple function momentarily.

Where a third function valve is independent of roll.

Yes a diverter valve will work, but most do not like the loss of the roll function while grapple work is being performed.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
That's a diverter valve not a third function valve, different animals.

A diverter valve swaps the roll or grapple function momentarily.

Where a third function valve is independent of roll.

Yes a diverter valve will work, but most do not like the loss of the roll function while grapple work is being performed.
I'm a huge fan of diverters on small machines. They are easier to plumb in, and most small machines do not have enough hydraulic flow to do 2 or 3 functions simultaneously anyway-at least not without it being WAY slow.

Jblac197

Equipment
L3800, bush hog, tiller snowblower
Aug 21, 2018
Hibbing
Yeah, cheapest is run hoses from your rear remotes. Most expensive is to purchase a 3rd function kit. I purchased mine from everything attachments and I believe it was around $800. WR long brand. Nice kit though, they make them tractor specific so make sure to have your tractor and loader model #'s handy I'd you go that route. Shop wanted almost $300 to install it, took me about a half hour in the garage just by using the instructions that come with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

blenderbender

Equipment
B3000
Mar 5, 2016
Eastern Ohio
I'm a huge fan of diverters on small machines. They are easier to plumb in, and most small machines do not have enough hydraulic flow to do 2 or 3 functions simultaneously anyway-at least not without it being WAY slow.
Thanks Kenny.... something else to think about then since I'd much rather spend $280 than $873. Can anyone else chime in regarding diverter vs. 3rd. function? My B-3000 has a 9.1 gpm pump.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Thanks Kenny.... something else to think about then since I'd much rather spend $280 than $873. Can anyone else chime in regarding diverter vs. 3rd. function? My B-3000 has a 9.1 gpm pump.
Well, we sell our diverter kit for $275 LOL

http://www.boltonhooks.com/hydraulic_valves.html

But to be fair, there is more needed, like hoses (4 or 6), various fittings, Quick disconnects, custom mountings, ect. So your real cost for a diverter is plus $400ish

Does the whole 9.1 GPM go to the implements? Or is some dedicated to the steering? If you get the whole 9.1, then you are in a good range for a true 3rd function.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
So can I assume that my tractor is a good candidate for just the diverter ?

I have the WR long 3rd function on my 25D. I can’t imagine not having curl and grapple at the same time. I would think it would be very difficult to pick up a pile of brush without both functions working together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think 5.2 gpm is plenty to run two functions, your cylinders are not that big, so divided flow won't be making it too slow. ;)

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
Couldn't another valve connected to the power beyond provide the function he is looking for to operate the grapple?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Having everything a one handed operation, on the joystick is a pleasure to use. I Grapple a LOT of logs, branches, railroad Ties, Lumber etc.