Wallenstein chippers and chipper-shredders

afret

Equipment
L3901, MX5800, U55-4
May 7, 2015
North Idaho
Got a L3901 which I think has 30 hp at the PTO. I mainly have lodgepole pine branches to deal with. A lot of the branches from the bottom of the trees are crooked, dried out, and stiff but should be mostly under 2" diameter. I think the largest feeder opening possible would be the best for these branches.

Which models would the L3901 be able to handle OK? And would a chipper-shredder be any better? Looks like the BX42 model is no longer in their lineup so it looks like the choices would be BX32S, BX52S, BXM32, or BXM42.

http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/us/en/model/bx52s-wood-chipper
http://www.wallensteinequipment.com/us/en/group/chipper-shredders-na/3-point-hitch---self-feeding-na

Fender5803

Equipment
L3901 LA525 BH77; LP 1860 rotory cutter; LP 1060 grapple; forks & bucket
Aug 9, 2015
Henniker, NH
I should just ask here and now what the difference is between a chipper and a chipper shredder ?
Thanks.
I am trying to decide between a three point pto or a tow behind stand alone ...

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I should just ask here and now what the difference is between a chipper and a chipper shredder ?
Thanks.
I am trying to decide between a three point pto or a tow behind stand alone ...
A chipper chips limbs.
A chipper shredder chips limbs and has a hopper on top to throw in brush, brambles, leaves, pine cones, etc.

Attachments

Fender5803

Equipment
L3901 LA525 BH77; LP 1860 rotory cutter; LP 1060 grapple; forks & bucket
Aug 9, 2015
Henniker, NH
A chipper chips limbs.
A chipper shredder chips limbs and has a hopper on top to throw in brush, brambles, leaves, pine cones, etc.
Ahhhh Thanks L4740 - makes sense to me now - thanks !!

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I might add, that I have owned 2 Wallenstein chippers. A bx42 for my bx23. Which I have since sold. The chipper, not the bx23. I will never part with that. But I currently have a bx62 for my L4740. Both were/are great chippers. Simple design, well made, self feeding, no belts or pulleys. All around good machines.

Reactions: 1 user

Wbk

Feb 20, 2013
St Adolphe Manitoba Canada
I have a bx52s that I think works just great, it's a little big for my bx2660 as it only has 19.5 hp at the pto the main reason I bought it was for the larger opening so the branches wouldn't jam up. I originally ordered the bx32 (the salesman recommended it) and really happy that I changed my mind.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I looked at the Wallenstein chippers also. I have the same tractor as you. Same HP. But dollar for dollar and me being lazy. I bought the WoodMaxx with the power feed. Self contained hydrolics . It just sucks the limbs/brush right in. You can adjust the feed speed. And for me it chipped a lot faster then I could ever feed it. And yes its made >>>over there. I asked when I called to order it. Their largest model is made in USA I was told. And looking at snowblowers. WoodMaxx has them too. And I'm very pleased with my chipper and will most likely buy one of there snowblowers when I buy. Watch the chippers on Utube. Sorry I cant post their website as I'm not good with computers.
If you do buy one and plan on unloading it with your pallet forks. My L3800 would just barely lift it off the tractor trailer. Its not sheet metal.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user