Very hot gearbox

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
Hey fellas. I plowed 2 acres this evening and used the l3000dt and a fergusson 10-ao-40 2 bottom with h mould boards. It did an excellent job and had more a&" than I thought it would. The temp gauge was running about 25-30% the whole time but the gearbox was almost burn you hot. Is this normal?? I wouldn't think it would be but I honestly have no clue. I'd appreciate any insight and thanks in advance this place is great.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
The gear box shouldn't get hot. Since the fluid is common for the hydraulic system, is there any chance you had the lift arms straining for the duration? That would get things HOT in a while.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It has been my experience over far too many years that people tend to greatly over estimate temperatures when they touch something. To most people 130 F will feel extremely hot. While for machinery with modern lubricants it is just getting started to warm up to operating temp. Cooling systems on modern vehicles are designed to run around 200F. A new electric motor carrying a full load will be so hot that if you drip water on it there will be a sizzling sound.

Comparative measurements taken when your tractor is doing different jobs will provide you with the knowledge you need to have in order to make a decision is it too hot. Infra red thermometers can be purchased for approx $30 and easily used.

I previously had a Nuffield 465 ( like a Leyland) that was a massive hunk of cast iron. When working it hard in the summer you would not want to have your legs in short pants touch the gear box casting between your legs.

Buy a thermometer, start taking some measurements and I think you will be reassured all is well.

Dave M7040

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Just due to the design the L3000 is a hot tractor to operate. I got rid of most of the heat when I switched mine to Amsoil.
Getting a IR Thermometer is a good idea though. At least then you will have actual data to look at.