V2203 engine crankshaft turns only 270 degrees

sidwell50

Jan 10, 2012
Yakima Wa
I was recently given a V2203 that has sat outside for maybe 6 months. Using a screwdriver and the teeth on the flywheel, I can get the engine to rotate only 270 degrees. It makes a clink sound and stops when rotating to the right. It makes a grinding sound just before it stops when rotating to the left. I pulled the valve cover and saw no signs of a sticking valve. I fear I may have rust in the cylinders. Is it worth the effort to pull the head and look deeper into the problem or should I take it to the scrap dealer?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Unless the block is cracked it's always rebuildable. The question you need to ask yourself is "How much time, money, and effort is this worth?". Could be anything from rust in the cylinders to a thrown rod and beyond. There is no way to know without taking it apart and examining it but a stuck engine is rarely a simple fix. It will probably need something renewed. Curiosity killed the cat and all but I'd at least want to take off the head and oil pan and give it a thorough exam. You can decide then if it's too much trouble to fix.

That's my two cents. Spend them wisely.

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
I would be concerned with the "clink" sound. If no valves are stuck open, it could be something broken. If it is rust in a cylinder, it should feel the same as it stops from either direction.
Scrap price of the engine is the same with the head on or off, and think of the experience you could gain. Since you don't have any money in it so far, it could be worth putting some parts into it. Just some thoughts. Larry