Using glow plugs or not using

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Same here!
I bought my 1989 Shibaura FEL with 1,000 hours, 8 years ago.
Bought my 2006 L48 TLB 3 years later.
I have completely refurbished the Shibaura, including paint and tires.
It ain't goin nowhere!
It will go with me to the grave!
There's something nice about the Ford that brings a little smile when using it. No, I wouldn't want to give up the Kubota's A/C when it's real hot or the heat when it's real cold. But it is fun to use the Ford from time to time. Over the years it's been handy to have one implement on it and a different implement on another tractor when doing projects.

It was our only tractor from around 1991 till 2002. I did repaint it over 20 years ago but then it spent a few years outside when we didn't have room to store it. It's had an inside spot for several years now.

About two years ago I pulled the wheels and painted them inside and out, and put new R1's on it. Been way too busy to keep going and do a full repaint. Maybe after some of the other projects are done:)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
There's something nice about the Ford that brings a little smile when using it. No, I wouldn't want to give up the Kubota's A/C when it's real hot or the heat when it's real cold. But it is fun to use the Ford from time to time. Over the years it's been handy to have one implement on it and a different implement on another tractor when doing projects.

It was our only tractor from around 1991 till 2002. I did repaint it over 20 years ago but then it spent a few years outside when we didn't have room to store it. It's had an inside spot for several years now.

About two years ago I pulled the wheels and painted them inside and out, and put new R1's on it. Been way too busy to keep going and do a full repaint. Maybe after some of the other projects are done:)
I cheated!
I took my little Shibaura to use at my then Summer home in Nova Scotia, for just one Summer.
While there, I had a local friend almost totally disassemble, and paint it for me.
Then it came back to the USA.
That was 5+ years ago, and it still looks like new.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
'harm' by not using the glowplugs...
possible include..
1) extra wear and tear on battery. assuming starter needs more amps than glowplugs
2) extra wear and tear on starter.more use = more wear...
3) 'fouling' of head,piston.raw fuel in cylinders(black smoke)
add:
4) extra wear from raw fuel, that did not ignite, washing the cylinder walls and diluting the motor oil.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, I'm just wondering. I know the glow plugs are there to help "light off" the diesel sooner and start the engine easier. But, if it's warm outside and you simply crank the engine a few seconds longer is there any harm to the engine by not using them? (other than running the starter a few seconds longer).
Let me ask that question a bit differently.

Q: Is there any harm in using the glow plugs on every start?

A: No

Dan

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

Dan
That’s a refreshing way to think about it.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Yeah, I feel the same about my Kubota. Just turned 1000 hours this past weekend (now at 1002 or so). Just love the rhythm of that 3 banger humming along. The power steering works, yeah it's WAY too big LOL I get my 1/2 acre done in only about 20-30 min maybe a little more if I take my time. So, yeah when it's pried from my cold dead hands

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Dan
I completely agree with your Q& A…I’d even ask a follow up Q…’what trying to save / solve by not using the glow plugs on a cold start?’

As a reference, both my machines start easier/smoother in the winter when also using the block heater than in the summer only using the glow plugs on a cold start. Just in general I can’t imagine a cold start helps the rings…all the compression is going to be shared / distributed…and I believe the rings get their fair share. Not that it is completely avoidable (just the nature of it) but I am not really sure how not using the glow plugs on a cold start would help anything.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
If flip was still here he would give us the answer to the question.

but since he ain’t, there is way too many variables to give a one size fits all answer to the question

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I completely agree with your Q& A…I’d even ask a follow up Q…’what trying to save / solve by not using the glow plugs on a cold start?’

As a reference, both my machines start easier/smoother in the winter when also using the block heater than in the summer only using the glow plugs on a cold start. Just in general I can’t imagine a cold start helps the rings…all the compression is going to be shared / distributed…and I believe the rings get their fair share. Not that it is completely avoidable (just the nature of it) but I am not really sure how not using the glow plugs on a cold start would help anything.
Not trying to "save" anything. It's just something that I have to "remember" to do. And so, depending on whether or not I am distracted or such at times, I just forget and simply "crank" it. So, if it's a warm day, and I forget them, I just keep the key turned and it starts up fine. (unless it's under 60-65 deg). Then while it likely will start, I know by the sound it'll be a struggle. So then I stop, go to the glow plugs and then fire it up.
But, when it's warmer out, and I forget, by the time I think about it, the engine fires right up anyway

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not trying to "save" anything. It's just something that I have to "remember" to do. And so, depending on whether or not I am distracted or such at times, I just forget and simply "crank" it. So, if it's a warm day, and I forget them, I just keep the key turned and it starts up fine. (unless it's under 60-65 deg). Then while it likely will start, I know by the sound it'll be a struggle. So then I stop, go to the glow plugs and then fire it up.
But, when it's warmer out, and I forget, by the time I think about it, the engine fires right up anyway
Keep on keepin on 😁

KubotaHawg

Equipment
L2800DT, LA463, Landpride ΒΒ1260, RCR1260
Jan 9, 2022
NW Arkansas
The glow plugs on a Kubota heat on crank regardless of a pre heat.
So glow plugs and preheat are two separate functions? Honest question—on my ‘06 L2800 you turn key to left and hold it for however many seconds needed (colder temp=longer) before turning to right one notch for on, one more for starter. I thought the left function was powering the glow plugs, or is it a different preheat function?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So glow plugs and preheat are two separate functions? Honest question—on my ‘06 L2800 you turn key to left and hold it for however many seconds needed (colder temp=longer) before turning to right one notch for on, one more for starter. I thought the left function was powering the glow plugs, or is it a different preheat function?
The glow plugs are powered in both positions.

The left position causes the glow plug to heat up and warm the chamber.

The right position does the same while also energizing the starter motor.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

KubotaHawg

Equipment
L2800DT, LA463, Landpride ΒΒ1260, RCR1260
Jan 9, 2022
NW Arkansas
The glow plugs are powered in both positions.

The left position causes the glow plug to heat up and warm the chamber.

The right position does the same while also energizing the starter motor.

Dan
Thanks for the reply. So if you turn left for 4 seconds OR turn right to on and leave it there for 4 seconds before starting it is the same exact function?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
WHy doesn't the GP indicator stay lit when you engage the starter?
On the older tractors the glow plug indicator also worked as a voltage drop resistor so dropped voltage down to say 11 volts to the glow plugs. The glow plug indicator was bypassed in the crank position since the starter is cranking the engine and drops the battery voltage so the glow plugs still see the 11 volts. If the glow plug circuit was still run through the indicator they would be getting a lower voltage like 10 volts and would not be doing much good.

I assume the same logic is applied on more modern tractors for similar reasons so the indicator is not really in the crank position circuit.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The fact that GPs activate during ordinary enging-cranking when the key is turned to “start”…. should be thought-of as Kubota simply wants to assure that a start WILL occur in Any temperature…..E V E N T U A L L Y …..

But if it’s COLD…and you don’t desire to “crank” that engine Over and Over and Over and Over etc etc etc….before it starts….. Then the operator should select GP for about 10-15 secs BEFORE selecting START with the key. (Fewer revolutions are required before engine-start that way.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
WHy doesn't the GP indicator stay lit when you engage the starter?
It would be a misleading thing so it's wired to bypass it.
And because they tend to cut any power going to anything that not needed while cranking.