Using 3-point to Pull Up Boulders?

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Hi again to all!!

I have big boulders that I'm hoping to loosen up/pill up with my 3 point. I just don't know if an attachment exist for such an application. The thing that comes to mind is a "Ripper" like is used on the BIG DOZERS of Gold Rush. I understand total different application as far as ripping the ground vs pulling a big Boulder loose. But that is the best way I can describe it. I have an L3200 w a grapple on the front. It's NOT a good idea to use the loader as a prying device. Lol. That gets expensive. Trust me, I know!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Matters on the size of the boulders and dirt type, but a sub soiler would work if not too big or deep.

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Hey my friend!!! Nice to see you again!

Are these stronger than they look? The boulders are 2 1/2' on average. Some much larger. Assuming I'd use this to loosen the Boulder is there another implement I could use to finish pulling it out of the ground?

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Once you get the ground around the boulder in question ripped up, you then dig all around it, to see its size and shape. If you're brave then you take a log chain, wrap it around the lower narrow part, and the struggle begins. Often these jobs snowball, as they progress. Was watching some russian idiot, on youtube, last night, had a 75+ HP tractor doing several wheelies, trying to roll it out of the hole, kept snapping the chain. Thought for sure he'd flip over back'ards, more than once. Just remember not to high hitch on the tractor, use the lowest, strongest point of the tractor, where the drawbar bolts up, as your hook point. Never hook to anything on the 3 point...:D:D

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
The problem with the common subsoiler is the large boulder comes up between your hitch arms and you can't lift high enough to drive forward, and can't drive backwards, either. Then you back up and drop it in the hole and try to hook one end and spin it out sideways.

Something like a rear blade, with the blade removed, and a subsoiler shank in its place would work lots better on the large ones. Even better would be two shanks about a foot apart.

I want one of these in a compact size. :)

http://www.degelman.com/products/agricultural_equipment/rock_pickers_rakes/rock_digger/index.php

Bruce

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
If you can rock/move the boulders a few inches, you should be able to get them out. The way I've had the best luck is to have some loose material such as crushed rock around the rock I want to extract. As the big rock gets moved back and forth, loose rock falls into the cavity and the boulder gets floated up to where it can be pushed out of the way.

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
Depends on size of the boulders. I work for a farmer removing boulders, takes a 4x4 with 200 horsies to get them out. Some of those are as big as volkswagon beetles. It has a hydrolic arm/hook that you pull/drive into the ground to grab the rock then pull it forward and upward as you go. Does one heck of a job but bounces you pretty good sometimes. Are you fighting rocks this big? Boss man picked this up at an auction for bout $1,500, worth it's weight in gold. I find rocks so big even this can't pull them up, I know, I have ripped the arms and got good at welding them..... LOL

Attachments

FrozenInTime

Equipment
BX2370
Mar 25, 2015
ND
What brand is that? I'm needing a good cat 1 for my garden. Don't have rock problems, just need some sub soiling done. Might just build one if I don't find a good sturdy one by spring.

Matters on the size of the boulders and dirt type, but a sub soiler would work if not too big or deep.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Stitchit1,
I remember digging those boulders out during my working time on the family dairy farm up around Harbor beach, Mich.
That was a job and a half.

One of 2 things come to mind, stump bucket for the loader or a 3 tine home made ripper that would hook the boulder and allow you to pull and lift it out of the ground. ;)

I really like the one that bcp posted, but the price would probably scare most of us!

Last edited:

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Stitchit1,
I remember digging those boulders out during my working time on the family dairy farm up around Harbor beach, Mich.
That was a job and a half.

One of 2 things come to mind, stump bucket for the loader or a 3 tine home made ripper that would hook the boulder and allow you to pull and lift it out of the ground. ;)

I really like the one that bcp posted, but the price would probably scare most of us!
NIW,

Here, I used one of those subsoilers pictures to dig out around some very large boulders, then using a San Angelo bar, I was able to loop a sling (harbor freight) abound the boulder, hook it onto my lower tow bar and just idled those big bad boys out.

Only once or twice did the sling slide off the boulder but using the San Angelo bar helped to place it.

Once out, I was able to drag it across to the edge of a drop off, untie and then go back and flip it down the hill with the loader.

Burt