Using 3 point snowblower for ballast

trashcanman

Oct 4, 2017
Street, MD
I am purchasing a new (old stock) BX 2370 this week with a mid mount mower, fel, and 3 point snowblower. For minor fel work, would the snowblower be ok to use for rear ballast, or would I be better of buying a ballast box? The snowblower weighs 400 pounds. Thanks for any input.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That would be plenty of weight for sure,, however the size might get you into trouble in some tight spots. You can make up a ballast box out of a plastic 55 gallon drum, or a ply wood box anything,, That will keep the physical size down smaller then the blower size.if that makes any sense. Look around in the search and there is a ton of ballast posts, I used a bottom half of a plastic 55 gallon drum, and I think 5 bags of ready mix. Never had a problem

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Agree with Skeets.

I have my backhoe off and in the shop. I threw the 6' York rake (guessing 250LB) on the back of mine for some light loader work. It is a real pain having something that wide behind you all the time. I can't tell you how much bark I've ripped off trees on my trails :D:D.

Definitely do a ballast box. Plus I don't mind banging around my York rake, its much more rugged (and cheaper) in relation to a blower. I would sure hate to go banging around an expensive snow blower.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
On my L3300 I use the snowblower for ballast all winter as I move large square bales of hay approx. 800 lbs has worked well this way for years