Used, New, HP??

Buckeye

Equipment
B2920 mmm, FEL, blade, rake, 48" Bush hog
Mar 31, 2012
ohio
I should have bought a B2400 15 years ago, instead i got the B1700 with a 60" mmm. Ummm ive been kicking myself ever since. My 16 acres needs more HP than the B1700 can deliver. Today, my dealer has a same year
B2400 on his lot with mmm he would sacrafice to me for my tractor and $3500. Sounds high. I asked about FEL
he would have to order a new one....another $3500. To sum this part up, i'd still have a 14 year old tractor with more muscle and a new FEL.

On the other hand, the new B2X20 series with FEL and MMM at 0% for 5 years looks awfully tempting.

I do mostly mowing...but i also live nestled in the woods, always something coming or going to cut and move. Recently I had my woods timbered, holy moly what a mess they make of the woods. I think a loader would be
very versatile in moving brush and logs around. Question is about HP. Is a B2400 with FEL and a B2320 with FEL about equal in performance? Would you recommend even more HP...B2620, B2920? Something else?
My wife has been bugging me to get a new tractor... is adamant that bigger is better. :rolleyes:

Used? New? Horsepower? Some words of wisdom please. What would you do, and why?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
DUDE your wife's a keeper, if she gives you permission to buy a bigger newer tractor hang on to that gal and dont let her get away! When in doubt get a bigger tractor. Perhaps look into an L series Kubota.

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
+1 on wife and that bigger is better.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Your $$ will go a lot further with a used L series. 16 acres is a lot to clean up with a little tractor and no loader.

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I have a little over 8 acres and had a L2950 w/FEL, traded it last year for a used L3400 w/FEL and back hoe. About 4 acres is wooded and ravines. I wouldn't want less than I have had or currently have. Keeps me busy digging stumps, etc.

I agree with everyone above.

The L3400 is a good size for me. Sometimes I still wish it was bigger, but then I would have problems manuvering it in the woods.

Buckeye

Equipment
Mar 31, 2012
ohio
Thanks all for the comments and recommendations. I think i have ruled out the used B2400 in favor of something new. Probably B2920 with FEL and 60" belly mower. I never considered an L series. It is my understanding you cant put a belly mower on an L, not experienced with a finish or bush pull behind mower. Seems like it would be difficult to mow around trees compared to a mmm.

I think ill attempt to sell the B1700 and mmm outright, its in very good shape with 850 hrs. $6500. asking price sound about right? Looking forward to a new tractor, but the research and pursuit is part of the fun. Drives my wife crazy. LOL . Ill let you know how this turns out......Buckeye

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd say go with an L series and buy yourself a rear mount mower. Once you get one and use one you'll never know how you lived without it. I used mine in and around trees with no problems, and its a helluva to hook up and take off. Without a doubt get a rear discharge mower if you so choose to go that route.

Buckeye

Equipment
Mar 31, 2012
ohio
I bought the B2920 with mmm and FEL last of June. What a difference in power, love it. I got a good deal on a new 48" landpride rotary mower and bucket tines were sorta thrown in. I am having height adjustment problems with the belly mower, but hopefully a fix will cure that.