used bx25

easternpaguy

Apr 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, new member here. I'm looking at buying a used bx25. I was checking the tractor out earlier today. The hour meter reads 94 hours. The guy who owned it is , unfortunately, no longer with us, so asking the person who used the tractor any questions isn't an option. The tractor was purchased at a local Kubota dealer in 5/10. I did notice that it has the dreaded ripped boots on both tie rods. The tractor seemed to start right up, did have a nice puff of black smoke when it first fired, but I'm guessing that's normal ( I've never owned a tractor before ) I didn't think to check the fan blades to see if any of them were broke off, but I did notice that there didn't seem to be any coolant in the overflow bottle, but I took the radiator cap off, and radiator was full. Do these machines only use the overflow bottle when hot ? Or should coolant be added ? Didn't notice any obvious hydraulic leaks. The 54" mower deck looked to be used pretty hard, and I'm guessing somebody stepped right on the "no step" stamp, because it looks like one of the pulleys rubbed right through the black plastic guard. One of the lights on the ROPS was just kind of dangling there, it's either broken, or there's some parts missing. The shaft coming out of the rear for the PTO was quite rusty, it may have never been used. Both the backhoe bucket and the FEL bucket showed very little wear. I was told the tractor was used mainly for mowing. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I tried to describe it best as I can. What do you guys think the tractor is worth ? Is there anything else I should pay particularly close attention to ? Problem areas on 2009/2010 bx25's ?

Attachments

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
That's very low hours for a 7 year old rig. Does it come with anything besides the backhoe, loader and mower? I have a 2014 model year, and it came with two small bolted in place skid plates, and I added a full plate also.
I believe retail price is $18,9k new. That's with the 0% interest for at least 5 years. You can also add implements at 0%, so to pay cash, or to get a loan on a used model, even with the low hours, it needs to be priced to sell. Just a few things to think about.

easternpaguy

Apr 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
There was a 5 gal. bucket there with what appeared to be the 3 pt. hitch. Other than that, no extras. I thought the same thing about the hours, was this one of the models / years that had a lot of hour meters stop working ? The tires, seat, pedals....etc. didn't show excessive wear.

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
There is a small plastic fan that cools the transmission that is somewhat prone to breakage, and a pain to replace. Most rops lights were added by the owners, new LED spotlights are forty bucks or so on Amazon, so no big deal.

If your near Tunkhannock or Clarks Summit I could meet you to look it over if you want a second opinion.

Jerry

easternpaguy

Apr 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
Appreciate the offer Jerry, but I'm much closer to the Lehigh Valley exit of the turnpike. I am familiar with Tunkhannok though, pick up rt.6 there when heading to camp ( near Troy) Can you describe where that small plastic fan is, and is it always on, or is it operated off a thermostat of some type ?

Last edited:

BravoXray

Equipment
BX-25D, Ford 9N, Bobcat 825. Too many implements to list
Feb 6, 2014
Lake Winola,PA.
I believe it is always on. If you drop the mower deck, lay on the ground, and look up and back behind the deck, it's white plastic, maybe four to six inches in diameter. If the mower has been on it all of its life then it's likely fine, but I would want to know before I bought it.
Price wise, if it was under ten grand I would be interested, any more than that then I would buy a new one. But that's just me.

Good luck, and Happy Easter to everyone here!

Jerry

nick2010tundra

Equipment
BX25
Jul 18, 2015
Saint John, NB
The overflow should only have a little in it, everytime I fill my 2011 bx25 it just blows off the rest. So that's normal. That's not very many hours and yes the puff of black smoke is normal. The paint isn't even off the teeth on the backhoe and the bucket paint on the cutting edge is still there. I'd say you found an amazing tractor, The bucket and backhoe are barely used. I would say he used it to mow only, my tractor has under 100 hours and the paint on cutting edges is long gone and backhoe teeth have no paint. You found a cream puff, Buy it and enjoy

easternpaguy

Apr 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
The story I got was that the owner had basically just used it as a mower. What do you guys feel it's worth ? Bravoxray mentioned anything under $10k. With it being a private sale, and not being able to talk to the owner, I was thinking somewhere in the $8500-$9000 range ?

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
A used 2004 BX23 TLB with mmm is on the Dealer lot for 15,500 with 450 hrs. Theyre off their rocker. Solid 10,000 machine you're looking at.

easternpaguy

Apr 13, 2017
Pennsylvania
Well the auction was yesterday ( Saturday ). I think I learned a pretty good lesson. The machine sold for $15,000 !!!....yes, you read that correctly....$15,000. To my way of thinking that was absolutely ridiculous. I would much rather spend another 4k or so and buy a brand new machine, with warranty, and have the benefit of the upgrades done in the last 7 years !! On the flip side of the coin, also makes me feel pretty good about the way these machines hold their value. I'm not quite sure how much that machine could have been bought for back in 2010, but it had to be at least $1,000 cheaper than today. That was 7 years of use ( granted , supposedly only 94 hours ) for not a lot of money.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
That's the thing about an auction, people take it personal, and don't always think rationally. They have the " I want to Win" mentality. Just like with any vehicle, there's usually many out there for sale exactly like the one your looking at. If that one doesn't work out, look for another.
In many cases Zero interest on a New one is often cheaper than paying interest on a cheaper rig, even at a cheaper price point. New is new, you can't beat it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That's the thing about an auction, people take it personal, and don't always think rationally. They have the " I want to Win" mentality. Just like with any vehicle, there's usually many out there for sale exactly like the one your looking at. If that one doesn't work out, look for another.
In many cases Zero interest on a New one is often cheaper than paying interest on a cheaper rig, even at a cheaper price point. New is new, you can't beat it.
Boy - aint that the truth, I have seen crazy things happen at auctions! Saw an $400 air compressor go for close to $800!!!!

I would think that a machine like that would be worth 12.5K anything under that is a steal - you got to remember, the hoe alone is a $7,000 from factory - and with that few hours, the machine aint broke in good!

kubotauser

Equipment
2008 BX24 w/loader, backhoe, snowblower
Dec 2, 2016
Big Rapids
As has been said, it is a good find - really low hours!
I paid 13.5 for a 2008 BX24 with 600 hours. It has backhoe, FL, and front snowblower. I bought a used 54" mower deck for $1,600.
Not to mention I discovered after the purchase that my rear fender is cracked and needs replacing - $420.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
$15k really isn't crazy for that machine at all IMO. It looks like it's in mint condition. The pto shaft has surface rust and is a non issue (it's a piece of equipment, not a car, rust on the 3pt linkage is par for the course and sometimes you'll find it on new machines that have been on dealer lots for months). The tie rod boots is a $20 fix. Not sure why anyone would expect much less than $15k for a machine that cost close to $20k 2 oil changes ago.

If someone offered me $8 - $9k for mine with 300 hrs on it I'd have a tough time not laughing.

Last edited:

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
I too look at it from a different angle. A new BX23S is around 21K. A lightly used BX25 for 15K...I say anyone seriously looking at a new one just saved 6K. I have a BX23 with just over 400 hrs. on it and wouldn't sell it for 10K. It's not what you paid for it 10 years ago....it's what a new costs today versus a good use one. IMHO

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
It makes a big difference if you have a hand full of cash or if you need to take out a loan for the purchase. Cash in hand makes a used rig a much better deal than a loan at 3.9%, 9.9% whatever. It all ads to the bottom line. Besides if you have cash, and don't buy equipment, tools, tires, guns etc, either your wife or kids will find something to spend it on, that they need more than you do.....

Wolf515

Equipment
BX1870
Apr 12, 2017
North East, PA
It makes a big difference if you have a hand full of cash or if you need to take out a loan for the purchase. Cash in hand makes a used rig a much better deal than a loan at 3.9%, 9.9% whatever. It all ads to the bottom line. Besides if you have cash, and don't buy equipment, tools, tires, guns etc, either your wife or kids will find something to spend it on, that they need more than you do.....
I will second that, but for a new off a dealer lot. I was looking for at 1860/1870's for quite a long time. I decided the new with the 72 month with 10% down and 0% APR financing even with the Kubota insurance was well worth the extra price. Especially after looking at how well they hold there value.