Used bx advise

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota b1750,60" mm,48" argo trend snowblower,5' grader blade
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
HI,have two kubotas,a b6100 with 4800 hrs,use it for snowblowing(48" 3pth ) grading the driveway and hauling firewood with little trailer. Also have a g2000 with 60" deck for mowing the lawn. Have six achers mow about one.mower has 1700 hrs,getting rough around the edges,but both tractors run great. Been thinking maybe getting rid of both and replace with one bx. New is out of reach. Are used bx tractors a good bet? Are they as dependable and as tough as what I have? Are there certain years or models to avoid?
Can I use my 3pth implements from my b6100 on a bx?
Thanks

Last edited:

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
What attachments do you have?
Cat 1? And what size?
A bx handles less wheight.
But will cut the grass, move a trailer.
Fel bucket is only 48" and 500 pounds lifting.
They are tough.
I was going for a used one but the price was close to a new one.
Wife said might as well get new.
Unless you get a deal.

Ray

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
You might want to look at what zero interest on a new one costs compared to a used one. It might surprise you how close it is

Bferg

Equipment
BX 2670
May 31, 2017
Bentonville AR
I looked for used Bx and was able to get a new 2670 for very close to the used price. I couldn't justify going used.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Same as everyone else... i bought a new one last week with zero percent intrest and the $1000 rebate, and my dealer knocked off a bunch of money from the deal too. Of course this isn`t my first rodeo either.

Buying used, and a bank loan, you wont get a very good intrest rate. For a few dollars more for a new one, you get a warranty...6 YEARS, thats tough to beat. You wont get ANY warranty with a used one, unless a dealer offers its, and thats going to cost you more money on top of an already used tractor.

Go to a few dealer`s... this is the sales pitch i give to them... "i`m interested in a tractor, but i dont need a tractor, today" Dont take the first bite they throw out at you, because if you do, they`ll reel you in. Walk away, and just before you do, tell them they can do much better on their end of the deal. Let them KNOW, that they aren`t the only dealer in the world. Then, YOU`VE reeled THEM in.

And know what your looking for before you go to a dealer... that method keeps the BS car salesman level down.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
To clarify,I am not buying new
Interested in older machines,want to know about there durability

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
Well, sir, a used BX is not a big risk. If you test drive it and it runs and operates well, you can probably expect it to continue. You will have to decide whether or not it has enough PTO power and lifting capacity for what you do.

I used a BX2200 for 13 years and did a lot of work with it. I finally had to upgrade because I needed more power, but before that; the BX was a good machine and served well.

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
Well, sir, a used BX is not a big risk. If you test drive it and it runs and operates well, you can probably expect it to continue. You will have to decide whether or not it has enough PTO power and lifting capacity for what you do.

I used a BX2200 for 13 years and did a lot of work with it. I finally had to upgrade because I needed more power, but before that; the BX was a good machine and served well.
u

Same experience. BX2200 is a tough little tractor that for 14 years met and exceeded it's rated capacities. I traded to get the cab, qa loader and increased 3pt, FEL lifting. Depends on your needs. Durability was not an issue. It was trouble free.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Seems the weak points on the BX is the HST fan breaking due to being exposed to debris and a diff lock that people don't know how to use properly breaking the whole transmission.

The fan is a very easy fix and if there isn't hydraulic fluid leaking from the transaxle, you are safe with the transmission potential issues.

If you do decide to get one, look into proper usage of the diff lock prior to using it.

al m

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 30, 2012
smiths falls on Canada
Good to hear you can count on a older bx. As long as it can run my 48" blower,I'll be pleased

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
Can you elaborate on this?
In my experience and based upon the number of failures that I have seen posted online, I think that most people are jamming the diff lock pedal whenever they get stuck or start to slip even a little bit. If the wheels are already spinning, engaging the diff lock is a BIG NO NO! It could result in the pins that lock the spider gears together shearing off and becoming shrapnel inside the differential.

The correct way to use the diff lock is to allow the wheels to come to a complete stop, then apply pressure to the diff lock pedal. It most likely won't fully engage so with pressure still on the diff lock pedal, slowly press the HST pedal (or slowly release the clutch on geared tractors) and you will feel the diff lock fully engage. Keep even pressure on the diff lock pedal until you are out of the condition that required its use.

I hope that answers your question.