up in the air

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like he built a roll-on pallet so that his 2 post works more like a 4 post in that it supports via the tire contact surface. I was pondering how I could support mine with a custom sub-frame without sitting on the tires (and still keep it wide enough to be stable), but it's not a trivial matter. In the end it would look a bit like the Van Halen flying V. The "wings" would have yokes looking like a jack stand to support the rear housing out as far as possible behind the tire, perhaps adjustable to clear different tires. And the point of the V would be at the width of the lower loader frame with something like a frame adapter to lock that in. The sub-frame would then be pined into the lift arms as wide as possible between the tires.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I suddenly developed a serious case of shop envy :D:rolleyes::D

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I know you weren't talking about my shop, but where do you think I got my handle? I'm always in the dog house, so the moniker first surfaced as my CB handle back in the days of CB (don't say it!)

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I know you weren't talking about my shop, but where do you think I got my handle? I'm always in the dog house, so the moniker first surfaced as my CB handle back in the days of CB (don't say it!)
Man I like that lift.....almost like CHEATING!!:)
rather than have to crawl under and ALL THAT FUN!!!!....not.......

And as far as CB radio......I got my license when they first started to NOT charge for the license!!!!! That was about '75 or so.......use to talk to all kinds of folks on the old CB (had a base station)- then we would play hunt and seek while driving around when we got our cars.....that was the shyte -------- those days....

now we have smart phones............somehow the fun AINT THERE like it once was!!!!:D:)

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
As a civil engineer, I question this procedure. You couldn't get me within 10 meters of that arrangement.

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Care to explain why? Looks like the arms are under the tires, which is as stable as it gets (and I don't recall seeing tractors easily tipped by hand). And lift is nowhere near capacity. Assuming pads are properly engaged and arms locked, I don't see a problem.

I love the way engineers just casually dismiss things without explanation.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
As a civil engineer, I question this procedure. You couldn't get me within 10 meters of that arrangement.
As a licensed automotive technician, i second this. No safety stops at either end of lift ramps, nothing to prevent it from rolling off. One teeny oversight and it becomes a bad day in an instant. There are drive on ramps made for 2 post hoists, building a jig of sorts to lift on frame would be nice, but figuring the balance of that is the most important-it would change if ballast is added.

I lifted an f150 that had a load of gear in the back, truck had a topper and i lifted it many times before. As front arms came to eye level- i could see air between frame and front lifting pads. Was the closest i ever came to dropping a truck,i got lucky. I always checked for loads after that.

This is something that should be taken seriously, thats why i own a drive on hoist

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
No that I get, thanks for elaborating. I didn't think about sitting on the tires and no safety stops, which are needed just as they are for a 4 post drive on lift. I was looking at it from the frame of mind I was pondering regarding my frame fixture, and didn't consider that it's now setting on rolling wheels. My main focus was difficulty in getting outboard enough for stability, which was accomplished by him getting under the tires. Extreme caution is required when working beneath equipment.

And regarding balance on a frame lift, it would need careful confirmation, but I think mine would balance quite nicely with the loader in place, but be tail heavy without, and of course nothing on the 3 point. But I would certainly verify before going to that much trouble to build, much less getting under it in the air.

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Breaker , breaker bad dog, got your ears on ? I'm jealous of your set up , very nice . How are you holding that machine still ? Did you chain bind it or tie down straps ? Sure beats laying on the floor .

BadDog

Equipment
B7100D TL and B2150D TLB
Jun 5, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Sadly, that's not my shop. I've got a good sized shop, but not that open. Mine's jam full of machines of all descriptions from fabrication to machining to woodwork, and not counting material and half finished projects. I also don't have enough head room for an indoor lift, so mine is outside.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Sadly, that's not my shop. I've got a good sized shop, but not that open. Mine's jam full of machines of all descriptions from fabrication to machining to woodwork, and not counting material and half finished projects. I also don't have enough head room for an indoor lift, so mine is outside.
I cut a box in my ceiling, added collar ties and bolted /screwed /glued in a ton of lumber, gave me an extra 30" of travel with the hoist. image.jpg

Its too wide for my little kubota, i use 12" wide heavy channel to drive one side of tractor onto. Very solid.

Ben S

Equipment
B2620 FEL MMM mcconell swingtrim
Jan 17, 2015
Holland
As a licensed automotive technician, i second this. No safety stops at either end of lift ramps, nothing to prevent it from rolling off. One teeny oversight and it becomes a bad day in an instant. There are drive on ramps made for 2 post hoists, building a jig of sorts to lift on frame would be nice, but figuring the balance of that is the most important-it would change if ballast is added.

I lifted an f150 that had a load of gear in the back, truck had a topper and i lifted it many times before. As front arms came to eye level- i could see air between frame and front lifting pads. Was the closest i ever came to dropping a truck,i got lucky. I always checked for loads after that.

This is something that should be taken seriously, thats why i own a drive on hoist
parking brake on and a strap around the rear wheels, stood rock solid, cosiddering to make safetystops on it, but this was the first use.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Ben, there are folding style stops, used on drive on hoists. Basically its a hinge. As you raise it,the ramp drops leaving a flap up to prevent thing from rolling off.