Universal Joint Question - Help

kghenson

Equipment
BX2670, FEL, RTR Tiller
Oct 20, 2016
Garretsville, ohio
I have a 2016 BX2670 with a ride over rotary mower (MMM) the mower is a model RCK54D-26BX. During my recent abuse of the tractor while clearing brush is was operating the tractor without the MMM in place.

One of the things that happened was that the Universal Shaft Joint became dis-engaged from the rest of the Universal Joint assembly and fell to the ground.

Yesterday I crawled under the tractor to look at how it all was supposed to go together and tried to return the joint shaft to its intended position. I was hopeful that if a branch knock it loose I could simple put it back.

For some reason the the joint shaft and the yoke sleeve did not seem to go together I could just barely get it started.

So I was wondering, is there a trick to it or do I just have to remove the assembly from the tractor, clean the heck out of eveything, re-lube and re-install the assembly.

Any words of wisdom or guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Most of those shafts will only go on one way. Look real close at the male splines all the way around. you'll find a small spot weld between two of them,. on the female side , there should be one spline missing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm confused??? :confused:
Were you operating the tractor with the shaft still attached to the mid PTO without the mower attached?

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I have the BX2370 with the 60" drive-over deck.
So I'm somewhat familiar with the MMM linkage and PTO shaft setup - but I can't see anyway to knock the PTO shaft out unless something is broke or bent.

Be sure to check for bent/broken parts - and a misadjusted frame. Picture just to illustrate what this setup looks like - for those who don't know (not intended for instructions to check your frame installation)

The frame Link shown stays on the tractor when the MMM is removed. The PTO shaft is supported on both ends with MMM removed so no harm if it is spinning without deck attached. Although it would be better to disengage mid-PTO if only rear PTO is being used.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And you were out clearing brush with this strapped under the tractor?
:confused: :eek:

I would think the smarter choice would to have removed the mower quick hitch, before using it to clear brush, as I would think that leaving it attached could lead to a whole lot of damaged parts! :(

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
And you were out clearing brush with this strapped under the tractor?
:confused: :eek:

I would think the smarter choice would to have removed the mower quick hitch, before using it to clear brush, as I would think that leaving it attached could lead to a whole lot of damaged parts! :(
I agree,and or missing parts too.