Unique Situation - Need Thoughts and Advice

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I purchased some tickets for a gun raffle at a school here and my name was drawn for a pistol. The pistol, a Taurus GX4 9mm, is brand new and still at the dealer. I'll take a voucher to claim it. The issue is that there is an open recall on that particular GX4. The serial number is on the voucher and I ran it through Taurus' site which says to send it for repair.

No matter whether dealer puts monkey on my back to send pistol in for repair or pick another pistol from stock not on the recall list I get a pistol.

First thing I've ever won that I bought tickets for.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Firs, it must be a very conservative school to have a gun raffle. I would ask the dealer if the gun is on the recall list, and if it has been repaired. I wouldn't accept it and even if I did, I believe that it has to be sent in by a dealer, so either way, he is going to be doing the paperwork. If you don't want that model, will he give you credit for another firearm?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Need Thoughts

The Taurus would make a much better club then firearm.

end of thoughts😁

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I would just go talk to the dealer about it. I feel like the dealer is a pretty good guy to provide a gun for a raffle.

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I would just go talk to the dealer about it. I feel like the dealer is a pretty good guy to provide a gun for a raffle.
Yep, that. If the dealer won't help. there are legal means for individuals to legally send firearms to the factory or a gunsmith. Taurus may even send shipping labels for stuff like this.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I've had one Taurus. It was a POS. The only thing I've ever had that was worse was a Jennings given to me by someone who apparently didn't like me. I cut that one up for scrap.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Brand bashing aside, the first thing I would do is talk to the dealer as @jimh406 suggested.
If you want that firearm, then see what the dealers process is for repair. Will they send it back in? Is it your responsibility? Even if it is on you, I'm pretty sure Tarus will send an RMA and shipping label. Most manufacturers are pretty good about that stuff. There are also probably legal requirements they must abide by to provide shipping for a recall. I had a Beretta that had an issue several years after I bought it. I contacted them and they sent a shipping label and fixed it without question.
If you don't want it, see if they'll give you a credit for something else. The credit probably won't be ACV of it. But 80% of retail is still something.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I'll go and see what they say. I'm also going to check and see if the serial number wasnt fat fingered when it was typed on the voucher. I figure it wasnt since it came back as needing repair when I enter it in to Taurus' site. but we shall see.

I'll say this about a Taurus, I own a Taurus Judge 45/410 revolver. Bought it new in 2006. Never had an issue with it and it has not been treated well as all and fires when the trigger is pulled. For what it is used for it is a fine gun.

Thank yall for the helpful replies.

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Like others have said, talk to the dealer. The dealers in our area work hard to keep customers happy and to deliver good products.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
When we were looking at pistols several years ago now, the guy at the counter pulled a Taurus out to show us.

The sales guy activated the slide and proceeded to slice the ever living sh#t out of his hand in the process. 😳😳😳

I've never looked at a Taurus since.

• Wow

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
I have a taurus revolver and it is great. I have never had an issue, at all. They make great .38 revolvers. I have always heard horror stories about their autos.....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I purchased some tickets for a gun raffle at a school here and my name was drawn for a pistol. The pistol, a Taurus GX4 9mm, is brand new and still at the dealer. I'll take a voucher to claim it. The issue is that there is an open recall on that particular GX4. The serial number is on the voucher and I ran it through Taurus' site which says to send it for repair.

No matter whether dealer puts monkey on my back to send pistol in for repair or pick another pistol from stock not on the recall list I get a pistol.

First thing I've ever won that I bought tickets for.
You ARE lucky!

Once upon a time, Taurus did not have a very favorable reputation.
MUCH better now!
I have a Taurus G2C -9mm.
IMHO, an excellent concealed carry pistol.

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Ditto. Talk to dealer first and see what he/she wants to do. They can probably get it done quicker than a private individual anyway. It might be/is likely, that Taurus has special instructions for dealers for unsold firearms subject to the recall.
Fwiw have a 740 slim and a 1911 Officer both from them. Never any problems.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Handguns require a FFL to ship. Hopefully the dealer doesn't charge an FFL fee.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Depending on the State you live in, if the product is under recall, it could be illegal for the dealer to sell it to you until the recall has been fixed.

That is another item to check under your local laws and with someone other than an internet expert forum poster. Although, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn once.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Handguns require a FFL to ship. Hopefully the dealer doesn't charge an FFL fee.
Unless things have changed since 2002 when I sold my firearms business, Federal law allows "firearms" including handguns to be shipped by an individual for repair or customization to a FFL holder. HOWEVER it is the policy of the US Postal Office to not accept handguns for shipment. To further complicate the issue all , or most of the common carriers now have policies also to not accept handguns for shipments under this scenario. In affect DaveFromMi is correct.

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Unless things have changed since 2002 when I sold my firearms business, Federal law allows "firearms" including handguns to be shipped by an individual for repair or customization to a FFL holder. HOWEVER it is the policy of the US Postal Office to not accept handguns for shipment. To further complicate the issue all , or most of the common carriers now have policies also to not accept handguns for shipments under this scenario. In affect DaveFromMi is correct.

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).
USP and Fed EX has adopted the same policy that they will not ship unless it is from/to an FFL.

(At least that is the case in these parts (Communist State of Illinois))

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I was kinda curious as to WHO would ship the handgun...kinda obvious it's a gun, maybe easy to steal ??
best bet, let the dealer handle it.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
USP and Fed EX has adopted the same policy that they will not ship unless it is from/to an FFL.

(At least that is the case in these parts (Communist State of Illinois))
Exactly, as I mentioned in my post most , or now , all common carriers have adopted similar policies to exclude non ffl licensed holders from shipping handguns to FFL holders for repair or customization. They are all in cahoots I tell you! lol.