Two Schools of Thought

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
On another forum a member advised to only assist neighbors during emergency situations. Position summary: buy your own tractor.

Option 1, help neighbor less fortunate w/ occassional rototilling, snow removal, driveway maintenance, etc, through your generosity.

OR

Option 2, Neighbors are simply leaches too cheap to buy their own equipment and a strict policy of NOT working on other folks property is a righteous position.
I have significant investment in my equipment and it is mine, mine. mine,

Does anyone have an opinion?

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I always go with option 1. There are many reasons for this, but the main one is that I grew up on the country. Neighbors always helped neighbors. I am now 51, and there will be a time where you will need some help and people will remember if you helped them or not.

The other reason is tractor time. Seriously, I think of tractor time as play time. I do it for fun. If I can have fun, and help out a neighbor, then it is a win/win. :)

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I don't mind helping neighbors and that way I am not hesitant about asking them for help. One of my neighbors will do just about anything for me and I do the same. Other neighbors are not as close, relationship wise, but if they need something I do my best. Of course I live in the country and there are not that many neighbors to contend with. You also learn quickly which ones will reciprocate. I have some "summer" neighbors that I don't go out of my way for because they would take advantage, but if they truly need something I help.

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
I live in the country, my neighbors are older. They would get help, considering my Mom and dad live in the country and if they needed help and I couldn't get there it would be nice if someone helped them. I believe in Karma, do good for others and it returns to you

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Option 1.
My elderly neighbor had his bladder removed this past winter. I told him I'd take care of his driveway this winter and help with anything else. I think it's the right thing to do. Plus, as stated, it's tractor time.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I'm definitely Option 1....

I only have 4 nearby neighbors, plus 1 place vacant 6+ years.

I'm the only person in the 'hood that has worked on all the other places at some point, and have mowed the vacant place all 6+ years.....as it adjoins another neighbor's lawn.....

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
For the last 5 years years I've occasionally mooched tractor time on my senior neighbor's L3400 or borrowed his nice wire feed welder. During that time I've been happy to bring his tractor back with a full tank and a wash, the welder with a full cylinder and a new spool, lent him my dump trailer, lawn mower, battery charger, chains and cables, etc. I've finally got the point where I could afford to buy my own tractor and he knows he is welcome to borrow the backhoe attachment and use it on his tractor.

I wouldn't do this with the average neighbor, but he's a great sort and there is a give and take. Bastard is way better at skeet than I am, though...

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I am at Option 1, Happy to help, but I'm not dropping it off for them to use as they see fit. Tractor time is play time, and I need all I can get. Plus it gives me an excuse to burn a good cigar now and then...

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
Seriously?

The only "righteous position", to my mind, is the one that reflects kindness and generosity.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm generally an option 1 guy, but I have some neighbors/acquaintances that I wouldn't help if they asked while holding me at gunpoint. They are the type who would expect you do $5000 worth of tractor work for them for free, then sue you for running over their antique, family heirloom garden hose. So be selective.

After the Tinder Fire, myself and a friend with a Bobcat volunteered to help start the cleanup process for folks who lost their homes. We were politely but forcefully turned away by federal, state, and county officials. From past experience, they felt that liability issues were too likely to cause problems. (in both directions, apparently)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It's an interesting, ongoing question. I do things for neighbors and others all the time, always have.

I sometimes wonder why someone will call for a service, be it a plumber, electrical, chimney sweep, or whatever and expect to pay a service charge, parts etc. but don't offer anything when I spend two hours working their driveway saving them $300 in rock.

I have a couple of neighbors who always ask for me to do some tractor/trencher related work, and I've done it for years. But lately, since I have learned their manipulative methods I usually tell them, "No, don't have insurance." It keeps them from coming back asking again. I've done it enough times with no thanks or complaints, I'm just done with them.

I have another neighbor who always try to take advantage of everyone, and he'll ask, "What will you charge to do ....." Often times I will do the work and tell him to pay me what he thinks it worth. Last time I spent working an hour with my tractor he did say "Thanks". His wife gave me a cupcake!

I'm not Hindu or Buddhist, but Christianity teaches something very similar: You get what you sow, later than you sow, and more than you sow.

It works even if you don't believe it! Ya, plant corn and see if you can grow a
watermelon. :D :D

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
There's always gonna be "that guy" but generally, I'll help anybody that asks.

Sometimes it's a paying job, sometimes it's a favor, sometimes I get taken advantage of. The occasional person that takes advantage of me doesn't get a second chance.

I've never worried about liability and (so far) it's never bit me on the derriere, but I know it happens.

mbu

Aug 28, 2016
United States
There's a difference between helping a neighbor and being used by a neighbor. You'll know which case it is by your past relationship with them.

Bxmike

Equipment
Bx2670
Feb 11, 2017
ny
I always try to be a good neighbor. I help when I can and will help some neighbors more often than others. I never take money just not how I was raised. I will work for beer... guns and a good hunting dog. My one neighbor snuck over and took 2 of my fuel cans and filled them while I was at work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I guess I'm just a giving kind of person, Can't tell ya how many things I've fixed and how many favors I've done just for the fun of it.
I have been doing most all of the tractor/snow removal work in the neighborhood for years, I've found that most just try and take advantage of the fact that I have equipment.
I clear a lot of snow and lately have been not getting paid enough to even cover fuel expences.
I'm thinking this might be their rude awakening year, I made comments to several folks on the road about the expenses of it all and they all said they won't pay anything for it. :(
Wonder how they will feel when they are under several feet of snow! :cool:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Depends on the neighbor. One asked for help digging out a stump (fun time for me so that was a no brainer plus he's a decent sort). Another seems to think my tools are his tools - had to clarify that.

Last edited:

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I struggle with this issue also. Trading labor makes it equitable and friendly, although many in my area don’t have skills that I am interested in.
I draw the line at recurring work such as mowing and plowing... I charge a neighborly rate. Mowing and plowing are jobs that should be planned for either in buying equipment to do it yourself, or by hiring out.
As far as non-recurring work, for most neighbors I’ll mow while they’re on vacation, till a garden, etc for nothing but goodwill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I try to always help. It's one thing if a neighbor is well off and can easily afford to hire someone and simply wants to use you for free labor. It's another if someone doesn't have a lot of means and cannot afford to hire it out but needs to get it done.

I like the barter system...I'll help you now, but maybe in the future you can help me. It's pretty easy to see those who will.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
On another forum a member advised to only assist neighbors during emergency situations. Position summary: buy your own tractor.

Option 1, help neighbor less fortunate w/ occassional rototilling, snow removal, driveway maintenance, etc, through your generosity.

OR

Option 2, Neighbors are simply leaches too cheap to buy their own equipment and a strict policy of NOT working on other folks property is a righteous position.
I have significant investment in my equipment and it is mine, mine. mine,

Does anyone have an opinion?
I will sometimes help some neighbors (not all of them) with the occasional task but NEVER loan anything.

SDT