Turbocharged perkins working too good..... I'm concerned.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Last winter I turbo charged my perkins 6354.4... Basically because google told me incorrectly that by it's serial number that it had a turbo from factory. Once I realized that I just got a few extra guages to make sure I don't cook anything. There aren't a ton of differences between the 2 versions and that engine has versions up to 250HP. I only wanted a few more HP and better fuel efficiency.

I got all that.... substantially more power, nice turbo whistle, efficiency.

So why am I concerned? Well this is on a water pump and pre turbo the full load max RPM was 2200 with alot of valves open so it was moving alot of volume rather than making pressure. Also doing that after about an hour the stack would start to glow. (Only did that once)

After turbo? 2500RPM and it has more but the pumps only rated to 25-2600 RPM. Exhaust temps? 3-400C (closer to 300), engine at it's 190F like it should be.

Later on added a simple EGR which brings it even closer to 300 and removes any blowby.

I'm no expert and I like to tinker but when things work out this well it scares me... I'm like ok what am I missing this never goes this well.

Just had a new exhaust made today too that's much more open and with smooth bends.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Is it simple enough to easily disable the egr and measure the difference? I wouldn’t be to afraid of 400c on the egt

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Is it simple enough to easily disable the egr and measure the difference? I wouldn’t be to afraid of 400c on the egt
No that's well below danger. It's not but it's ran many hours before this so I'll definitely be able to tell when I get using it more. Always scares me when my experiments work that well

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Exhaust glow is pretty normal on a turbo diesel. My 300hp diesels get a good healthy glow after dark under a decent load 😬😬😬😬

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Exhaust glow is pretty normal on a turbo diesel. My 300hp diesels get a good healthy glow after dark under a decent load 😬😬😬😬
That's the funny part... it glowed before the turbo but not now. Previous owner probably cranked up the fuel so now with a turbo it's correct. I don't want super high EGT because this likley doesn't have piston cooling jets.

Very successful build.

Perkins are beasts anyways

Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
That’s why I questioned it 🤣 I would be really curious in the fuel usage, since your egt and ect is good.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
That’s why I questioned it 🤣 I would be really curious in the fuel usage, since your egt and ect is good.
First strawberry frost night when it's running under heavy load all night I'll know. I expect to see efficiency gains in high load not as much low. Not much boost at like.... 1600RPM.

My EGR is running the vent tube into the intake line... sealed with JB weld. Works perfectly

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Sofar it looks like yes it's an improvement in fuel efficiency. I guess part of pulling a slight vaccume on the case is it helps rings seal better and this better efficiency.

Reactions: 1 user

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Further details, it ran a frost night recently which is 2 pumps both running easy on the same main line. Protecting about 15 acres of strawberries. Usually is more but it's a different configuration this year. Even if it's only a light frost and either pump could do it I put both on so if one failed through the night the other can take up the slack.

I see some improvement in fuel efficiency for sure, I wish I could improve the intercooler as it's obviously not moving and theres no room directly by the fan so it's mainly passive with a bit of a breeze. Thought about a water to air intercooler.... using the output from the pump to cool it so literally cooling it with cool stream water... but if dirt got into it and it plugged....pressure built and it leaked into the intake..... no thanks lol. Intake air after turbo is like 40C so not bad anyways and a standard water to air intercooler from the engine coolant would actually heat it.

I bet you have 15C air going into the engine would give even more efficiency though.... EGT at like 600F ish.... 900 is danger zone and 1000 is bad bad. I don't think that'll ever be an issue, long ways between 600 and 900.

So my temporary solution? Just spray the intercooler... lots of water available to cool things and see if colder intake air makes a difference at that point.