Truck repairs

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Sharing my PAIN! Salt belt sucks. I am in the process of tearing into the front end on my 2012 F350 to replace the auto lock seals in the shackle. Haven't done one since 2004 or 5 when I had the 99 Dually, and forgot what a PITA they are. That stupid lock clip on the axe inside the hub, I tried and tried to remove it with snap ring pliers but cannot get a grip on it to save my life.

Found the proper tool on Amazon and will have it tomorrow. I have one side apart waiting on the tool, will tear into the other side on Thursday, have bowling tomorrow night.

So one other task, drain and inspect the front differential. It makes a weird thrumming sound, not sure how to describe it but only when the hubs are locked, which they were manually locked since the seals leak. The fluid was clean, no metal, can see wear on the teeth, but otherwise the diff looks good, but need to inspect the pinion for wear and bearings for play, though the seals is good, no leaks which is a good sign the bearings are good.

The outer seals are dry, but I have replacements for them, part of the seal kit. Pulling those will allow me to inspect the outer bearings, but I have to pop the diff out to inspect the inner bearings.

RUST! Everywhere! I need to wire brush what I can and hit it all with rust reformer and paint. I did the back of the frame last year when I replaced the rear springs, but not even that stops is, some rust popped up again.

142,000 miles on the original ball joints, I think I will replace them since I have most of it apart already, just a couple nuts and a whack with the BFH to get the spindle off, and press them out and new ones in. Then I can replace the cam with one that allows for 4 degrees of caster instead of 3 to help reduce death wobble. It looks like the tie rods have been replaced, but I see the track bushing has some play so will replace that along with the drag link since that is still original, this way all the steering components are new and tight which goes a long way to preventing death wobble.

These are the EASY repairs. The hard repair is coming up in the next couple weeks. I have to pull the bed and replace the floor and cross members. Getting the bed off will be easy, just lift it with the tractor forks, its the flipping the bed over to get to the cross members and floor flange spot welds that will be a bitch. I cant rest the bed on its bottom skirts, they will fold up like playing cards.

Then I pull the bumpers, grind the rust spots off, fill with putty and level then sandable primer and smooth it, paint it and put it back on, the front, the rear I have a replacement passenger side piece to replace the bent one, and the drivers side has a couple spots to correct and paint.

It was either this or buy a new truck. Since a new truck is extremely expensive today, I will just have to make do with what I have and live with the short bed and being over GVWR when towing the 5th wheel .

OR when its all fixed, list it for sale for an insane amount and see if there are any takers.

The truck was deleted by the previous owner and I bought it from a Ford dealer. They would take it in trade, but no other dealer would touch it, and I am not about to dump $5K into it to bring it back to spec. It does run good and has gobs of down low power, it will spin the tires in 2nd with the 5th wheel hooked up.

I'm just hoping I can curb the rust on it before it gets too bad, especially the cab and tailgate, right now there is a little on the door bottoms but fluid film stopped it, but not so much underneath nor the frame.

OK end of ramble

So, How was YOUR day?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Front end repairs on superdutys are easy for the most part. Ive owned several and worked them all hard. (Masonry Construction and Snow Plowing). GM and Dodge just dont hold up like Ford does.

I had death wobble on 2 superdutys an f250 and f350, new steering stabilizer and track bar fixed it on both

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Replaced all 4 shocks on the Titan this past weekend. Fronts are struts and I had one spring compressor crap out on me. Luckily no damage, just shot a stripped nut across the garage. Got a cheap set of harbor freight spring compressors and they worked fine. Front right and rear left were completely shot, as in they puked oil when I laid them down on the floor. The other 2 were just weak but still sort of functional. Being a TN truck, almost no salt related rust ... I didn't have to melt any fasteners off. Pretty easy overall. I'll count myself luck on this one. I still don't have the 2 post lift installed. Kinda aggravating working on a vehicle while looking at the lift sitting there waiting on the concrete to cure.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I got the steering and suspension parts ordered and a ball joint press that I have been wanting to get. Be here on Friday. The new snap ring pliers arrived, going to go try them out.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Sometimes the right tool makes all the difference. Sometimes even with the right tool the rust still wins. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
EAB6B9CD-70CB-4EF6-B983-48B99463C8E2.jpeg
Haven’t driven this truck since 2013. Emissions issues. She’s finally 25 and exempt. Had to do a fuel pump replacement and pressure washed while I was there.
B1CFD24D-4356-47E5-9077-C69789976F24.jpeg
8 year old fuel. She actually ran on this for about a week till I had a short in the fuel pump wiring.
264AB595-7B9E-40B1-8260-3979B8CDAEBA.jpeg
New tires and chasing the short. Got all that fixed and she is golden. Coldest AC out of anything I’ve owned.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Sometimes the right tool makes all the difference. Sometimes even with the right tool the rust still wins. Good luck.
Those Lisle snap ring pliers are Da Bomb!! What I screwed around with for 45 minutes, took 30 freaking seconds. I could not get any of the snap ring pliers to grab tight so I could wiggle the ring out of the groove, but the new pliers with that curve and locking mechanism got the pliers locked to the ring and it wiggled right out. I had to pull the ring off the pliers! 2 minutes later the hub was off. Going to finish the tear down tonight, parts arrive sometime tomorrow along with a ball joint press, but one part, the ball joint for the track bar wont arrive until next week.

Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Dammit, turns out the wub wub is a bad hub bearing after all. There goes another $300. I decided after looking the bed over some more that I am just going to replace the cross members and patch the holes instead of replacing the entire bed floor. The two holes happen to be where the installer drilled to install the 5th wheel mount, probably didn't seal the edges with paint. I got the crossmembers and repair panel on order. That will save me roughly $1,000 beteween the cost of the floor panel and shipping. I haven't totaled it up yet, but the front end has got to be well over $1,000 in parts by now. It will drive like new though when done with a nice tight front end.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Sorry to upset you, man, but… do you want to save this car's life? Because I think you'll get more trouble using it than benefits. The one thing I know about cars, an irrevocable rule for me, is that rust means the car end. I'm happy if you've managed to deal with it when only the problem appeared. But if it's too rusty, it's complicated and useless to save. If you need a semi-truck or are looking for better insurance, I suggest this site (edit out). I hope it will be useful for you!
:unsure:

I sense something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
;) I suddenly have an urge to fry up some canned meat and eggs.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Here's what I use for rust control. Works wonders, but not sure how it would work in London! :unsure:

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I've used something similar to that 30 years ago from Napa. Spray it on with a squirt bottle let it soak in, and the rust turned black. They all work on the same principle, convert the iron oxide into a hardened coating. The problem is, if you dont clean all the paint a good portion away from the rust, it comes back. The other problem is if you don't get the paint applied properly afterwards, the rust comes back. For proper rust protection, it is best to try to get rid of all the rust, but then you leave behind thinned metal.

SO far I have the bed off and the front crossmember replaced, with all the rust removed in that section, now I am working on the middle two supports which are gutted, along with a good section of the floor. What was rotted on top, is nothing compared to what is underneath. Only rust on top went all the way through and made a huge hole, but the rest of the bed looks good. Underneath though the entire area under crossmembers is rotted, at least halfway though the metal, leaving very little metal when cleaned. I am going to have to stitch in new panels to replace the rotted one and then weld in the new crossmembers. The second to rear member will need to be replaced, but so far the sheet metal underneath seems to be salvageable. The rear crossmember was rusted up pretty good, but is made from thicker metal and salvagable. It is also a difficult piece to replace, so I will patch in some sheet metal where the one brace was too thin. Once I get the parts replaced, give it a good degreasing and power wash, I will soak all the left over rusted areas with POR 15 and then hurculine it.

The truck frame is not as bad as I thought, wont take much to clean it and it too will get a POR 15 treatment and painted black.
IMG_7705[1].JPG
IMG_7708[1].JPG
IMG_7718[1].JPG
IMG_7714[1].JPG

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I've used something similar to that 30 years ago from Napa. Spray it on with a squirt bottle let it soak in, and the rust turned black. They all work on the same principle, convert the iron oxide into a hardened coating. The problem is, if you dont clean all the paint a good portion away from the rust, it comes back. The other problem is if you don't get the paint applied properly afterwards, the rust comes back. For proper rust protection, it is best to try to get rid of all the rust, but then you leave behind thinned metal.

SO far I have the bed off and the front crossmember replaced, with all the rust removed in that section, now I am working on the middle two supports which are gutted, along with a good section of the floor. What was rotted on top, is nothing compared to what is underneath. Only rust on top went all the way through and made a huge hole, but the rest of the bed looks good. Underneath though the entire area under crossmembers is rotted, at least halfway though the metal, leaving very little metal when cleaned. I am going to have to stitch in new panels to replace the rotted one and then weld in the new crossmembers. The second to rear member will need to be replaced, but so far the sheet metal underneath seems to be salvageable. The rear crossmember was rusted up pretty good, but is made from thicker metal and salvagable. It is also a difficult piece to replace, so I will patch in some sheet metal where the one brace was too thin. Once I get the parts replaced, give it a good degreasing and power wash, I will soak all the left over rusted areas with POR 15 and then hurculine it.

The truck frame is not as bad as I thought, wont take much to clean it and it too will get a POR 15 treatment and painted black. View attachment 82466 View attachment 82467 View attachment 82468 View attachment 82469
I don’t miss those northern trucks at all!

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Well, the floor is patched, front cross member installed, second should be done today, possibly get started ripping off the third one and the other parts are set to arrive today, so hoping by Monday to have the repairs completed so I can move on to paint prep. After all the time it took to patch in 3 small panels, I decided that to cut out and replace all the rest where there is still decent metal is a waste of time. I am still not decided on if I am keeping the truck or not, so don't want to put more time into it than needed to make it tow worthy again.

What I have planned is after the crossmembers are in and everything is cleaned up, I will spray a healthy does of Rust Mort on everything, let it soak in and cure, then prime and undercoat it with Herculiner. I also have some inner rust prevention spray to coat inside all the cross member on the way. It's the same stuff used to spray underneath as an under coat, but with a special hose and nozzle for getting in tight spots.

I will have to repaint most of the bed sides and do some work on the bed itself inside, but that too will get Herculiner. Between the bed and the bumpers, the truck will be looking pretty good so if I do decide to sell I should get top dollar for it.