Trouble reattaching LA340 BX23s Loader

drum

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23s, T2380
May 13, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio, USA
Hey everyone,

As noted I have a BX23s with only 33 or so hours on it with probably 8 of those from mowing.
As my barn space forces me to store the tractor with loader attached, when I mow it is a matter of removing the loader to mow and then reconnecting when finished. With the new system it isn't but 30 seconds to remove.
However, when reattaching it, I've noticed it has become more difficult to get right. This last time I tried to reattach, I noticed when the left side of the loader arm (perpendicular to the ground) is properly seated in the channel, the right side is about a half inch higher and is not seated in the channel.
Of course since the right side is up so high, the top portion cannot click in to place when I rock it back. The left side works as it should.

I haven't done anything remotely strenuous with this loader like digging, prying, or even pulling/towing that may have bent the loader arms somehow.

Is my loader hopelessly bent or torqued? I can come up with some pictures if that would help explain what I'm looking at.

I appreciate any guidance, and thanks for reading.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is it always the same side (left side) that is too high? How level is the floor where you store it and have you checked the air pressure in the tires (especially the rears)?

Sometime they just don't connect smoothly and you simply have to start over...take your time, you'll get better at it.

drum

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23s, T2380
May 13, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio, USA
This last time was when I noticed the difference in height when the left side had seated in the channel so I can't say for sure it is always the left side thats higher. I disconnected and pulled away several times with the same results.
It is currently sitting on my paved driveway (although it is 13 or so years old) so it should be as flat as I could reasonably expect.

I haven't noticed massive tire pressure changes but I will certainly check that tomorrow, I didn't even consider that.

drum

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23s, T2380
May 13, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio, USA
I checked the tire pressures and were correct. The right rear was actually a couple pounds high which I would think would help more than hurt

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Sounds to me more like a surface issue....meaning, the ground where the FEL is parked isn't level with the ground the tractor is sitting on, while in position to remount.

I know for me, this always causes the trickiest remount, when one side of the FEL arm is sitting higher than the other. I try to always pick a consistent patch of ground to do the FEL R&R for this reason. It doesn't have to be level, just consistent for the entire space of the tractor & FEL.

It's the ground variance that gets ya!

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
One thing they leave out, is the ground has to be very level for it to be a smooth and uneventful install. In the dark on rough terrain I had one side latch and the other miss entirely. Dragged it to garage and used a chainfall to pickup the side that was out and reattach. Only drop it on two spots on my 16 acres where I know it wont give me trouble...

drum

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23s, T2380
May 13, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio, USA
I hadn't thought that much about how level the surface the tractor is sitting on would affect it as well.
I'll be able to get to it Saturday afternoon but I did park it in a different part of the driveway than in the past. Last time was about the same but even then took me 2 attempts to get hooked up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

japollner

Equipment
BX2380
Jul 23, 2018
GREENFIELD
I once accidentally bumped the arms after the hydraulics were disconnected and left one slightly further forward than the other. Took me almost and hour wondering why they wouldn’t line up before I figured it out and manually made sure they were equal.

drum

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23s, T2380
May 13, 2018
Sunbury, Ohio, USA
I once accidentally bumped the arms after the hydraulics were disconnected and left one slightly further forward than the other. Took me almost and hour wondering why they wouldn’t line up before I figured it out and manually made sure they were equal.
I noticed that same thing messing with this :D

Also, thanks to all the ideas here that changed my perspective of the problem.

I was able to get it lined up as well as possible and then put a jack under the back of the bucket on the low side and give it a few pumps to lift it enough to even it out then I could get both seated and clicked in to place. We're back in business now. :eek:

Timagination

Equipment
BX23S
Sep 29, 2017
North East, MD, USA
I have had the exact same difficulty several times. My property has no truly flat and level spaces at all. We live near the top of a gentle hill, my driveway is crushed stone sculpted to blend into the natural terrain, I have no garage.....wah wah wah.....

I have had to resort to utilizing various blocks of wood, and the use of a stout iron digging bar to lever the FEL back into correct alignment more times than not.

I am considering creating a dedicated spot and "shimming" or otherwise building up the terrain such that the correlation between the wheels of the machine and the contact points of the FEL remains constant.

Anybody have experience/ insights on this approach?

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
Even on concrete it can be a pita sometimes. I bought my tractor used and the first time I took the loader off, I had a very hard time putting it back on. The left frame work was bent so the arm didn't fit the cup right. The dealer and I went round and round over it. He gave me a new left side frame but it still aggravating to put on. Mine sure isn't like the videos I've seen. Still takes some prying one way or another to get it back on.

SomerstOrangeMan

Equipment
BX23s
Jun 5, 2023
Somerset, PA
I have removed the loader arms on my BX23s a few times a season and always takes me a half hour of struggling to get it on. My tractor garage is pea gravel and not level. Today i got it so screwed up it's locked half on and half off and I can't get it loose. I'm going to have to call my dealer for help.
My solution is if the dealer can help me get it back on, never, never, ever will I take it off again!

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
I found if the ground the loader is on isn't fairly level getting the arms to drop into the cups and lock is a chore. When I first got my BX1880 I watched all the videos and it still took a while to get it on. I've learned that if after getting the tractor into place that extending the arms halfway then tilting the bucket seems to set it pretty quick. After that retracting the arms locks it in. Its more of a practice makes perfect sort of thing.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I think they probably got them reattached all ok. (thread is from 2018)
dead thread.JPG

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
heck in five years I've never had mine off ! BH is still on too !! One day i should take it off, put the 3PH on just to see how that works but my neighbours keep finding me 'little ' jobs.....