Transmission Oil Strainer

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Getting ready to do first 50 hr service on BX25. Manual says to clean the trans fluid strainer at 50 hrs but not to change trans fluid until 400 hrs. My question is: will the tranny fluid drain out when the strainer is pulled?

Thanks!

BenRich

Equipment
BX1870D w/FEL, Land Pride FDR1648 Mower, Land Pride RBO560 Scrape Blade
SteveF, while I have not done this yet (my BX1870 hasn't yet reached the 50 hour period), I understand that it is a good idea to have a plastic plug or cork handy to quickly plug the hole as soon as you remove the strainer. If you don't, I've read that hydraulic fluid will leak out.

I hope those that have done this will chime in here.

Ben

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Ben, thanks for the heads up on the plug idea. It just seemed to me that fluid would run out while the strainer assembly was removed.

Thanks,
Steve

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I think you'll need sufficient clean 'short' containers and a willing helper. Make sure containers fit under drain / port / hole. Funnel may help.
Clean well around filter before opening system to keep draining fluid clean.
Once you open it up things happen fast so be prepared.
Have on hand new fluid to go back with in addition to that you catch in containers: some will be lost.
Sloppy mess but doable.

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Stubbyie, thank you! I think after reading the responses to Ben's thread on 50 hour service, I'll go ahead and just change the trans fluid. Seems better safe than sorry.