Trailering a B2601

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a big clevis that I put in the drawbar to hitch the chain to.

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
That's what I was thinking of doing, but wasn't sure it could handle it. I'll go pick on up today.

Thanks for your help.

Glenn,

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
I'm not sure if this is the right way (it's how it was when I picked up my B2301 and trailer from the dealer) but I put the chain across the lower arms of the 3pt hitch (obviously with something attached to the 3pt) and I've never had an issue.

I'll probably start using this clevis idea now though.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
That's called a shackle by the way, not sure why but 90 % of people call shackles a clevis. A screw pin shackle to be picky. Crane operator here FWIW.

So far the only use for my draw bar on my 3301 is for securing the rear when I transport, I use 5 screw type binders as I have to drive down a mountain and it's just how my tie downs in my dump trailer are oriented.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
That's called a shackle by the way, not sure why but 90 % of people call shackles a clevis. A screw pin shackle to be picky. Crane operator here FWIW.

So far the only use for my draw bar on my 3301 is for securing the rear when I transport, I use 5 screw type binders as I have to drive down a mountain and it's just how my tie downs in my dump trailer are oriented.
Actually, the primary definition of shackles is a pair of lockable bracelets connected with a chain to keep a person in the orange jumpsuit from running away.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I'm not sure if this is the right way (it's how it was when I picked up my B2301 and trailer from the dealer) but I put the chain across the lower arms of the 3pt hitch (obviously with something attached to the 3pt) and I've never had an issue.

I'll probably start using this clevis idea now though.
^^THIS is how my 2601 arrived at my house as well...

so the rear is covered pretty well... how are you guys doing the front with a FEL?

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
^^THIS is how my 2601 arrived at my house as well...

so the rear is covered pretty well... how are you guys doing the front with a FEL?
I run my front chain across my brush guard at the base, right where it mounts to the frame. It's about the sturdiest thing on the front of the tractor and that's also how it came from the dealer when I picked it up. All the paint is worn off but I don't care about that.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA

Technically, a shackle can be used for overhead lifting while a clevis can not. Which all relates back to the pin and how it is secured. Most shackles are screw or bolt style, while clevis's are just a smooth pin with a retainer clip.

In your profession, you would never use a clevis because you are lifting.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
I run my front chain across my brush guard at the base, right where it mounts to the frame. It's about the sturdiest thing on the front of the tractor and that's also how it came from the dealer when I picked it up. All the paint is worn off but I don't care about that.

thank you.

about do to take her back for the initial & wanted to make sure it was in a good place on the front.

s

Bcamos

Equipment
L3901
Nov 1, 2016
Texas
thank you.

about do to take her back for the initial & wanted to make sure it was in a good place on the front.

s
I have heard of some people adding a heavy ratchet strap across the floorboard/foot deck of the tractor, but I always felt that wasn't necessary. If I were to strap anything else down it would probably be the bucket. But I've never done that either and I've hauled my tractor a few thousand miles so far on a 17' flatbed with just the brakes engaged and two chains holding it in place. It's never moved.

Manvito

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Apr 27, 2016
New York
For the front end, I put a shackle in a hole where the frame is sticking out in front. I then run a ratchet strap through the shackle. One more piece of advice, put your arm wrests down and run the seatbelt over top of them and buckle it in. If you don't do this, you get to watch your seat bounce all over the place in your rear view mirror. Good luck.

greekboy

Feb 18, 2017
Alabama
What is the size of the hole on the B2601 drawbar? I have a large shackle and the pin is 7/8". Wondering if I need to buy a smaller shackle. This is for a used B2601 that I have not purchased yet and do not have access to at the present time.

Also, has anyone mounted a D-ring to the front plate? If so what is the distance between the two holes used?

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
On the back of the tractor, just remove the drawbar and throw it in your trailer's chain box or the bed (or backseat) of your truck. Then you can run the chain right through the drawbar receiver without issue, no need to buy the shackle. Many times I also simply chain across the 3-point hitch arms, so long as a solid implement is on the back - nothing that sits on tire or has a small base though.

On the front, I go across the brush guard or behind the front cross member that the guard mounts to. One chain front, one chain rear, one binder per chain. Works great. Put tractor in low range, 4x4 engaged, and parking brake firmly set.

artho45

Equipment
L2800
Sep 15, 2019
Ord, Nebraska, USA
. One chain front, one chain rear, one binder per chain. Works great. Put tractor in low range, 4x4 engaged, and parking brake firmly set.
When I picked up my used tractor in Oklahoma (private sale) the guy told me that OK was a 4 point state. I did the same as you one chain front and one chain back with load binder on each. He was not sure that qualified because he thought it needed to be four separate chains. as I was only 50 miles into OK and I felt very comfortable with how I had it secured I left it that way. Hauled it all the way to Nebraska without any problems. Just curious if anyone knew the rules.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
When I picked up my used tractor in Oklahoma (private sale) the guy told me that OK was a 4 point state. I did the same as you one chain front and one chain back with load binder on each. He was not sure that qualified because he thought it needed to be four separate chains. as I was only 50 miles into OK and I felt very comfortable with how I had it secured I left it that way. Hauled it all the way to Nebraska without any problems. Just curious if anyone knew the rules.
For me, 4 chains just feels like more opportunity for something to work loose...not to mention more work to chain down. I'll wait for law enforcement to tell me I'm doing it wrong before I change my methods. I've hauled this way for years without issue, including tractors much larger than a B series.

curty85

Equipment
2018 B2601 Tractor with FEL, BH70, and BX5455HD snowblower
Feb 26, 2021
Casco, ME
I put a shackle in one of the holes in the plate at the front of the tractor and ran a chain through it. In the back i went across the BH operators station but with the BH removed, I will go with the draw bar option. Just got it so I haven't had a chance to try it. Frustrating that the manufacturer wouldn't put proper tie down points on it.