Tractorinā€™ for Food poll

Scope of your activities?

• Total voters

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Who is using tractor & implements to help grow & raise food?

Reply below with what implements and what you are growing / raising. šŸ„ƒ

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
We have large garden & aspiring to be a homesteader.

We use the loader, bucket, and forks extensively for hauling food/water and supplies to bees and chickens.

Also using tiller, garden bedder, potato plow, 2 bottom plow. Kitchen garden (potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, onions, squash, zucchini, winter squash, greens, etc) as well as small patches of wheat, buckwheat, and winter rye. Fruit trees: crab apples, paw paw, persimmon, plum, peach, pear, mulberry, elderberry. Syrup: black walnut and maple saps.

Brush hogging, cutting firewood as well utilizing a grapple, wagon and chipper. BH for digging stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
aspiring to be a homesteader.
kind of this šŸ˜‚

much of the same equipmentā€¦two bottom plow,disc,spike harrow originally, then tiller, potato plow, and bedder.

still working on getting our soil right, this year was our best year yet so far, until late June when the rain disappearedā€¦tomatoes, variety of peppers, cucumbers, corn, taters, various herbs, etc. will be getting rest of the garlic in the ground tomorrow, did throw out some radishes,carrots, and spinach last weekend.

chickens,ducks, and Guineas for eggs and fertilizer. Planning to dive into bee keeping next spring.

Long term goals of adding more land and expanding into hobby farming, will see

šŸ»

edit to add: firewood just for fun šŸ˜‚ small towable chipper for small branches and shredding for compost. Got on the list with tree companies for mulch drops (hopefully they will dump in my yard next time instead of the neighbors šŸ˜‚)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Just a small garden here with normal items; corn, peas, green beans, Roma and big boy tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, watermelon and cantaloupe. Did some sunflowers too, but didnā€™t harvest them.

Tried to do wildflowers to attract bees, but nothing came up. Will try them again soon.

Mx6000 with tiller and bedder/cultivator.

I do firewood also. Grapple to collect the logs. Run them through the 37T Northstar splitter and bucket them to my pile.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I bought mine cause they "looked like a blast" in the brochures, and I wanted to pick things up with forks, move big dirt piles, and dig things out with my backhoe. I am in my mid fifties and have gotton along just fine so far with out one, but I love playing with it and should have bought it 25 years ago.

I equate it to my neighbor that has a Corvette that its capable of 180 mph laps at Talladega, that he only drives on nice sunny weekends and he rubs/polish's it every week......it's basically useless, but he loves it.

I abstained from voting so as not to pollute the data. I don't think I'm a "homesteader" , but there is no "hobbyist" or "Foolish Big Kid" category.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Bountyhunter

Oct 13, 2019
Alberta
We have a large garden but mostly raised beds. I have a B6100 with a home built loader. Use it almost every day. Came with a rototiller with a home built bed shaper that gets used once a year to till the garlic beds. Wouldn't want to imagine life without my Kubota

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I am the definition of ...black thumb... when it comes to growing plants..
When I had the hobby farm, I did the firewood, livestock, dirt and snow work as needed and someone else gardened with raised beds..

Food plots ?? With my poor growing skills, I did food plots of a sort to my best ability.. It must have worked a little as I did see moose graze the areas occasionally..

papajoe

Equipment
L3901DT Shuttle (2017), B6100E (1978), B6100E (1979), B6100HST-E (1985), RTV500
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
Home garden, food plots for deer, maintenance on 1/4 mile gravel driveway, bush hogging around 200 acres of woodland, trail maintenance, then about 4 acres of produce for local sales.

papajoe

Equipment
L3901DT Shuttle (2017), B6100E (1978), B6100E (1979), B6100HST-E (1985), RTV500
Dec 26, 2017
Oak Grove, La.
I planted 2 acres of mustard greens yesterday. Kale, collards, rutabagas, turnips and radishes are already planted.