Tractor VIRGIN

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
Tractor New to ME

hello all,
I am new to tractors and really would like an honest opinon (being that I am on a couple of different forums I know this goes without saying, haha) on purchasing a used tractor. I have just purchased 106 acres of hunting property here in KY and will be building a cabin on the front portion and hunting the back 80 acres. There is about 5-10 acrers of "grass" to bush hog and alot of "roads" that are cut in previous owner.

I have been looking at new B series 2600 tractors but found a used L3400 with 128 hrs on her and FEL along with a Tarter Tiller, Bush Hog and rear blade for 15.5. It is a DT model and I really wanted a Hydro, but think this will work well. It is an "extra power" option so after "08 model. It is also 4wd and I need that for the hills that I have.

Any thoughts or things to look out for on this model??? I really appreciate it.
Chris in KY

Last edited:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
That model and the gear you got with it certainly seems great for what you need to do. There might be a drawback if you want to load full sized dump bodied trucks, getting over the edge, but that would be my guess as to that.

As to standard shifting vs hydo, also long as you don't ride the clutch, no problem.

If you have a quick hitch for the three point, you may find it easier to hook up. However, check the dimensions of your tools, just in case they don't match a quick hitch. Cheapest i found, yet good quality was at at harbor freight.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I think the L3400 would work just fine. Another option, is to call any dealers around you and see if they have any L3200, L3800, or L4600 tractors still. You can get the 5 years of 0% interest, plus you could get implements for them too.

Sounds like you've got some fun, I mean work to do there. ;)

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.
If you have a quick hitch for the three point, you may find it easier to hook up. However, check the dimensions of your tools, just in case they don't match a quick hitch. Cheapest i found, yet good quality was at at harbor freight.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the response, can you explain a quick hitch for me? I am concerned about the DT model vs. the hydro but I guess its what you get used to .

The implements this guy has are good and the tiller has less then 4 uses on it! I have looked at new just cant make myself buy new if I can find a gently used one.
Anything I need to watch out for??
Thanks everyone
chris

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Re: Tractor New to ME

L3400 sure seems appropriate to me. More so than a B, really. I have an L3940 on "only" 20 acres. Suits me great for snow blowing, driveway/road maintenance, hauling wood dirt, etc etc etc....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cmorris1

Equipment
L3901 HST
Nov 30, 2014
Louisville/Hart Co.

I have been doing alot of reading and the '00 models are the lower models, is this the case?
Anything particular I should be watchful of? I am concernd about the Non-starting issue with this model.
thanks
chris

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI

The 40 at the end means it is a grand L. It's almost an entirely different series, really. More weight. More bells and whistles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA

Biggest difference in DT vs. HST is how you work it. If it's just forward reverse, then it's not much of a factor. Good timing on the DT and you can forward reverse it as quickly as the HST. If it's speeding up and slowing down, then you have a big difference.

The DT needs to change gears and it is not synchromesh, so you can't do it on the fly. You have to stop the tractor to change gears, then go. The HST you just need to push the pedal down and you go faster: big advantage if you are needing to go from slow to fast a lot. This shows up mostly in loader work: get load, pick up, haul tushy to dump vehicle or site, haul back and get new load, repeat. The DT you have to get load, select appropriate gear for the travel, dump load, rush back, change back into loading gear, get load, repeat. It's not as fast.

I own a DT and it will mechanically do everything an HST will, it will just be slower on some things. It does have the advantage of lower maintenance on some items and it's pretty bullet-proof, but the HST owners really like their units, so I'm not going to advocate one or the other. I can work with either.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Manual vs HST...

I have had both. Currently L3800 with HST. I still find myself pushing the clutch in at first go every now and then. Old habits die hard. I sold my manual tranny Ford almost 20 years ago! HST is nice but not essential. One thing about the manual, its a lot quieter than the HST at higher speed/range.

A well maintained used vehicle is the way to go. Don't worry about starting issues as they are pretty simple to resolve. The package you quoted is about what I got in my 126 hour L3800 -and your hood isn't mashed all to heck!

I only have 4.6 acres and use my tractor 3-4 times a week, sometimes all day during the landscaping remodel. For what you need, it sounds like a great deal. Jump on it before someone else does.

Ray

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA

hello all,
I am new to tractors and really would like an honest opinon (being that I am on a couple of different forums I know this goes without saying, haha) on purchasing a used tractor. I have just purchased 106 acres of hunting property here in KY and will be building a cabin on the front portion and hunting the back 80 acres. There is about 5-10 acrers of "grass" to bush hog and alot of "roads" that are cut in previous owner.

I have been looking at new B series 2600 tractors but found a used L3400 with 128 hrs on her and FEL along with a Tarter Tiller, Bush Hog and rear blade for 15.5. It is a DT model and I really wanted a Hydro, but think this will work well. It is an "extra power" option so after "08 model. It is also 4wd and I need that for the hills that I have.

Any thoughts or things to look out for on this model??? I really appreciate it.
Chris in KY
I would suggest the HST option as well. I very much appreciate the HST when I started, so just a suggestion.

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I have a Grand L3830 HST and love the little tractor the 4 wheel drive is for much more than hills it really makes a difference pulling heavy loads. The HST is a real dream especially when using the front loader, mine had 640 hours on it when I bought it . The one thing that is a must buy all the tractor you can afford if it's going to be your only one, know one ever said my tractor has to much horse power haha. I feel and far as wheel tractors go you can't beat the Kubota and that's coming from a guy that's had Caterpillars all his life on the family ranch nothing beats a Cat. Have fun and believe me you'll enjoy a Kubota.

Attachments