Tractor upgrade L6060, MX6000 or M7060 / M4

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I almost purchased a M6060 when I purchased the L4240. I was afraid it was too much tractor at the time and opted for the smaller HST. I agree that the M-Series would be great for the mowing and the HST+ is awesome for the loader work. I really would prefer to not give up the HST for its general ease of use unless I have to. My biggest concern is the L4240 gets pretty tippy quickly even on fairly flat ground with what the loader can pick up. I have the tires loaded and always have ballast on the 3pt, but the loader is fairly strong for the tractor. It also does struggle some on the hills with the rotary cutter, but I just have to go slow.

I have thought about adding wheel weights and wheel spacers to widen the stance if I can, but not sure if that would make a significant difference or not.

I really need 2 different tractors, one for field work and one for loader work, but trying to determine if there is a sweet spot that I can compromise on for the larger and smaller tasks.
Agreed, the ideal solution is two different tractors.

I have an L6060 and an M9960, both used mostly for mowing with different mowers and in different parcels.

Yes, the L6060 with short wheelbase (it is a CUT) can be dangerous with FEL on slopes, especially with the heavy 4-in-1 bucket. I've had one rear wheel off the ground multiple times with an empty bucket, and it will not back up a slight slope unless in FWA. For multiple reasons, I never use liquid ballast but do have the maximum number (3) of cast iron weights on each rear wheel. A dedicated heavy ballast box helps but I do not use the L6060 for serious FEL work.

The hydraulic shuttle (I have the 12X12) is fine for mowing and much more efficient than a HST, but you will not like it if your mowing requires multiple direction changes. Changing speed is rarely an issue with the 6 speed synchronized main transmission unless a range change, which requires stopping, is necessary. I use the L6060 with heavy 6' cutter for the first couple of rounds and in all parcels where there are numerous obstacles. I find that front weights are just about mandatory with my heavy cutter on slopes. The M9960 is used only with a 15' BW in larger parcels after opening up with the L6060 and 6' cutter.

You will find the 53 PTO HP of the L6060 much more than the 35 PTO HP of your 4240 when using your 6' cutter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Some of these tractors are offered in a low profile variant. These would no doubt provide more stability on the hills. Try searching under 'low profile' or 'orchard' on tractorhouse .com. Might give you some ideas. Good luck
No low profile CUTs/SCUTs from Kubota.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I run R4's now and would want to stay with them or I like the R14's. Not sure if they are available from Kubota on the MX or L6060 though. Anybody currently running the R14's?
R14T tires are available from Kubota for the L6060 and MX.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Not much talk about the MX. It's quite a bit bigger than the L I think. It's not an M, but it's more lift and weight and still an HST. Anyone have experiences there to share with OP?
Actually, it isn't.

Wheelbase is slightly longer but weight is a bit less.

Same engine.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have 24 total acres that I maintain with about 18 acres of hilly pasture and approximately 4 acres of woods. I currently use my 4240 for tasks including mowing the pasture with a 6 ft rotary cutter, moving saw logs, processing firewood and general grapple work, clearing old fence rows, and other general chores around our hobby farm.

I would love to hear some real world feedback and experience from anyone that may have faced this same upgrade decision. Does the additional engine and PTO HP from the L6060 / MX6000 make a significant difference in performance when pulling a rotary cutter on hills? If you upgraded from a Grand L HST to a M-Series hydraulic shuttle, was the trade off in transmissions worth the extra capabilities and power of the M-Series?
I started out with a BX25 (for 5 years) on my property which is a similar size to yours, and do very similar tasks, but also do a lot of snow removal for three or four months over the winter. I ended up going the two tractor route because that really is the best choice for me. As my signature says, I now have an MX6000 and M6060 with the F8/R8 transmission but I did add the Creep range so I have an F12/R12. The M was sitting on the lot ready to go and I got a really good price, so although a 7060 with F12/R12 and Creep (giving F18/R18) would have been ideal, and what I would have ordered if going that route, I can't say that I have any complaints about the tractor I ended up with. I'll be pulling a 3x14 plow with it next week over at a friend's 20 acres, as well as a big disc harrow in the spring, and if it handles those tasks well I'll be as happy as a clam. So far though, whether pulling the rotary cutter, moving logs with the grapple, dragging the land plane, dragging the box blade, pulling the dump trailer or unloading the disc harrow and plow from the trailer, the M has exceeded all of my expectations.

I've pulled the Land Pride RCR1884 rotary cutter with both the MX and the M over my hilly property and there's no doubt that the M is a better experience, but the MX has no trouble doing it. The M with its longer wheel base and bigger tires rides way better than the MX and I have wheel weights on both and Rim Guard in the rear tires of both. The M with it's larger displacement engine and clutch feels considerably more powerful despite having similar hp ratings. I will say though, running the MX in the summer and working it hard does stress the engine cooling and a/c system. I'll be adding insulation in the canopies of both tractors in the spring. Obviously, keeping the radiator and a/c condenser screens clear is important.

Honestly, although the HST is easier to use, it doesn't take much practice to become proficient with the hydraulic shuttle. I use the clutch when backing up to an implement and only use the hydraulic shuttle to change direction without depressing the clutch (which of course is the whole point).

If I were to give up one of the tractors it'd be the MX without a shadow of a doubt. The M is so much more tractor but the MX has a lot of utility too. Hopefully I won't need to part with either of them. I used both today and will use both this weekend and there's no downside to having both other than the cost of ownership.

Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

3boys865

Equipment
Kubota Grand L-4240
Oct 10, 2022
East Tennessee
Spent some time at the Kubota dealer over the weekend. Really like the M series probably leaning towards going bigger with the M7060. Dealer had a couple M4’s on the lot as well.. really nice looking tractor wish they were available as open station too.

it has been a little over 10 years since I purchased a tractor. Is 10-15% off list price from the “Build Your Own” still a reasonable expectation for pricing?

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
I would love to hear some real world feedback and experience from anyone that may have faced this same upgrade decision. Does the additional engine and PTO HP from the L6060 / MX6000 make a significant difference in performance when pulling a rotary cutter on hills? If you upgraded from a Grand L HST to a M-Series hydraulic shuttle, was the trade off in transmissions worth the extra capabilities and power of the M-Series?
I upgraded from an open station MX5400 to a cab M4-071 and would not go back. Similar property to yours - 27 acres, mowing, discing, grappling, forklift work. For me the change was primarily the need for a cab. It's too hot here and I have allergies which made an open station rough. The MX5400 was fine for mowing with a 6" cutter, and the precision of HST was really nice for grapple and forklift work. But I also saw the shopping for a cab as an opportunity to get more power and a heavier tractor. Like I said, I would not go back. I quickly got fast on the shuttle shift and the extra power came in handy immediately. I can lift IBC totes full to the top with water (2300lbs) with nothing on the back of the M4, whereas the MX could only carry a short tote, and only with counterweight. Another comparison - I got two semis of road base spread with the M4 in about 2 hrs. A similar drop with the MX took about 4 hours. The bigger tractor doesn't really give up much maneuverability and it has a very tight turn radius. Traction on the ground - for discing, hills, mud, etc. are night and day. I still run the 6' cutter on the M4, but will upgrade that to a batwing if the implement prices ever come down. The old adage is true for me - You cant have too much tractor. Would I be happy with a cabbed MX if I never set foot in an M4? Yup - just take more bites or go slower. Would I go back to a cabbed MX having used an M4? Nope. (...Would I look at an M5 if money were no object? Yup! But money is an object...)

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I almost purchased a M6060 when I purchased the L4240. I was afraid it was too much tractor at the time and opted for the smaller HST. I agree that the M-Series would be great for the mowing and the HST+ is awesome for the loader work. I really would prefer to not give up the HST for its general ease of use unless I have to. My biggest concern is the L4240 gets pretty tippy quickly even on fairly flat ground with what the loader can pick up. I have the tires loaded and always have ballast on the 3pt, but the loader is fairly strong for the tractor. It also does struggle some on the hills with the rotary cutter, but I just have to go slow.

I have thought about adding wheel weights and wheel spacers to widen the stance if I can, but not sure if that would make a significant difference or not.

I really need 2 different tractors, one for field work and one for loader work, but trying to determine if there is a sweet spot that I can compromise on for the larger and smaller tasks.
I am satisfied with the stability and ride of my MX6000 with loaded tires and rear ballast. The MX shares the L6060 loader, but the larger front wheels adds to both the ride and stability. If you are ok with the capability of the LA1055 loader, then I think the MX would work for you. Especially with liquid filled rear wheels and also iron weights. Of course the M series is another level.

Reactions: 1 user