Tractor Storage and Mice?

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
It looks like I'll have to be moving my B3200 from the garage on the house to the barn in the back come spring time. I'm a bit worried about mice getting into the thing, any suggestions to keep the mice away?

...and no, a cat isn't an option!

I figured I would start off with a bunch of mice poison, errr food, and hope that keeps them out of the barn

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I had a new 5th wheel camper they got into even with poison and sticky tape they still ruined stuff. My sister in laws riding lawn mower they ate all the wires and hoses last year in her shed. I bought a 40ft shipping container for 2k and I now store a lot of stuff and its so far mouse proff. My bx25 goes right in and ill be storing the back hoe in this winter lucky to have my garage cleared out this year for the tractor.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Moth balls, that is right Moth Balls. I used them for years with my camping trailer and boat and never had a problem. Put some under it, on it and in it (depending on what IT is). Put some on the manifold, air intake etc just remember to remove them before using IT. If it is closed up like a trailer, a good airing out is necessary. :)

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My L3010 is parked in a 1909 barn. I have a few barn cats and plenty of poison bait. Poison alone won't be enough to stop them. $20 per month in cat food is a lot cheaper than a new wiring harness. I had to totally rewire my john Deere before I sold it.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
"Moth balls, that is right Moth Balls. I used them for years with my camping trailer and boat and never had a problem. Put some under it, on it and in it (depending on what IT is). Put some on the manifold, air intake etc just remember to remove them before using IT. If it is closed up like a trailer, a good airing out is necessary."

I'll second the mothball approach. It is cheap and effective. I have used it for years with tractors and old cars.

I also ALWAYS disconnect the battery. This helps save the battery but, more importantly, greatly reduces fire danger if a mouse ever gets past the mothballs. The two attached pictures are of a wiring near disaster caused by a Douglas squirrel gaining access to our house sometime before we bought it. The squirrel must have had an exciting half second, but the house might have been lost.

PMH

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
CFD,, 1 Question,,,
how did you get that little buggers legs apart to find out,,,,:D:D:D:D:D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I used the Tomcat bait from TSC in my shed and it worked great. The bait chunks have a hole thru them so they can be nailed down so the mice/rats can't carry off the bait. If other animals are a concern they make bait stations that work good around pets.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is an electronic sound emitter that works very well if you don't have cats, dogs or pet rabbits!
It drives them right out of any structure including inside walls, attic too!

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
My barn is only ~30x30, so I threw a box of moth balls in there during the summer. I have another box ready for when I put the tractor in there.

My situation is that I am getting a side-by-side and will keep that by the house in the summer, kubota in the barn. Then winter time, switch them.

Either way, whatever in the barn, will be used randomly during the winter/summer. Just not daily.

I put probably 1/3 of the 4lb tub of Tomcat bait around the barn yesterday. I figured once I put one of the machines in the barn, I'll cover the floor underneath it with moth balls. But since I'll still be using the equipment randomly, I really don't want to put moth balls IN the machine. (I used to do this when I would store cars in the winter at the old place, worked great).

I was going to look into those electronic sound emitters, but I didn't know what brand to get, or if they even work. The barn will have my dump truck, Grasshopper and either the side-by-side or Kubota in there, so I'd like to get something that works. No cats for me, and unfortunately, no dogs at the moment so that isn't a concern.

P.S. i also always keep a battery tender on whatever is going to be sitting for more than a week. I have a nice quick connect model that I use.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yup the Top Cat works well and I use to get some stuff from Agway called Hot Shot,, it took care of everything mice chipmunks rats and ground hogs if ya dropped some down the hole,,, anything that got into the little box,, but it seems to have been taken off the market,, figures,, and I use moth balls around the Harley too

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Experience suggests that the electronic devices work for a while, then the mice learn that it doesn't really hurt so they ignore the sound.

Another solution, if I recall correctly, is oil of cloves.

cold1313

Dec 15, 2012
Northern, Ohio, USA
I moved the Kubota into the barn, much against my will, but surrounded it with a large box of moth balls. I hope it keeps the mice away, I know it almost keeps me away!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Strong scented dryer sheets work good. Scatter them around and tuck them into many places. You can also buy stuff to put into vehicles for storage in the same section as the mice bait for a lot more money than a box of 100 dryer sheets.