Tractor step broke and fel is clicking

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
Grrrrrrrr this is a tractor. Why is it spot welded like a car part?! I stepped on this and it just popped off. I weigh 215. Not happy. Tractor only has 30 hrs on it.

My fel hinges are clicking too and it would not raise today for a minute. The valves also hit bypass mode or something and it just dropped. Time to call the dealer.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
No excuse for the step breaking, but the dealer should quickly fix that.

Have you greased the fel bearings?

When you push the contol lever all the way forward there is a detent. When you go past the detent the lever stays there and the fel goes into float. In float the bucket goes down and will follow the ground if you are moving. There are times you want the bucket in float, but you also have to control the bucket tilt when using float. Float is also used for other implements like a snowblower.

igizzzmo1

Feb 28, 2016
Elmira, Or
What is the best grease gun setup? The only thing I have is marine grease in a gun that doesent work. I need to get one on order ASAP.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
dunno which grease gun to get, but which ever one you buy, get a LockNLube for it.

Once you get a pneumatic one ......you'll never want another one!

AND the lock-n-lube is worth every penny you pay for it, when you see the sticker price, you gonna say, hell no, I aint spending that ......but once you do you say, wow !

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Get a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun IMO:

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-1162-Air-Operated-Grease/dp/B0019COQ6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1461000538&sr=1-1&keywords=lincoln+pneumatic+grease+gun

And, for goodness sake, get the Lock-N-Lube as mentioned before:

http://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Grease-Gun-Coupler-Lock-/dp/B00H7LPKKU/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1461000538&sr=1-3&keywords=lincoln+pneumatic+grease+gun

Marine grease is better than no grease but is not made for the rigors of tractoring.

At the least, get the "red" grease from Tractor Supply. Lucas red grease is more expensive but probably better. I use TRC 880...very expensive but works great.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Any grease is better than none. A common fault is not often enough in sandy work areas. Remember that for lapping valves, the grease there has sand in it. Oh, ya never ground valves? Modern engines seem to run a whole lot more hours, than they did years ago. I don't miss those days way back when we all did a lot of engine jobs. Not any more.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Dittos to the Lincoln with a Lock 'n Lube!!!

I use the Red & Tacky (Lucas?) for the FEL. Remember, these are simple pin joints so the 10 hour lube requirement is as much to flush out the joint as it is to lube it. Immediately after lubing, clean up with WD-40 and paper towels. The less grease residue you leave the less dirt you attract.

One technique I use after lubing and clean-up is lowering the FEL to unweight it and then grabbing the FEL at the major hinge points and wiggling the FEL arm back and forth to ensure the whole surface has lube on it. It will slide on the pin unweighted very easily if lubed correctly.

Ray

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
what is that? B2301? Or? haven't seen it before, nor have I heard of it, but I'll keep an eye out for the step breakage.

Why is it spot welded? There is nothing else to weld it to. No big thick 100lb frame bracket like on an M series.

Koopster

Equipment
2015 BX 25D
Jun 9, 2015
Heart's Content
Dittos to the Lincoln with a Lock 'n Lube!!!

I use the Red & Tacky (Lucas?) for the FEL. Remember, these are simple pin joints so the 10 hour lube requirement is as much to flush out the joint as it is to lube it. Immediately after lubing, clean up with WD-40 and paper towels. The less grease residue you leave the less dirt you attract.

One technique I use after lubing and clean-up is lowering the FEL to unweight it and then grabbing the FEL at the major hinge points and wiggling the FEL arm back and forth to ensure the whole surface has lube on it. It will slide on the pin unweighted very easily if lubed correctly.

Ray
I like the WD 40 to clean up. I have a Dewalt 20v and I love it. Ordered a lock and lube, should be here this week, so the little BX should be happy.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

TalonX

Equipment
1957 Ford 641, 861 TLB, 2016 2650 TLB
Apr 6, 2016
WNY
Amazon has a Grease Gun category? Huh, never would have thought.

My grandfather had a great grease gun that he used for 20 years then passed it on to me where I used it for probably 5 years before it "walked off" on one job. I have gone through more grease guns than tubes of grease since then. Is Lincoln Lubrication a good brand? Everything I've bought from TSC and Auto Zone seems to be a POS.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Amazon has a Grease Gun category? Huh, never would have thought.

My grandfather had a great grease gun that he used for 20 years then passed it on to me where I used it for probably 5 years before it "walked off" on one job. I have gone through more grease guns than tubes of grease since then. Is Lincoln Lubrication a good brand? Everything I've bought from TSC and Auto Zone seems to be a POS.
You can add Harbor Freight grease guns to that POS list.

Yes, Lincoln is a good brand. Like any good brand, they have lower priced models that are "not-as-good good". Spend the money for the best they offer and you'll be done buying grease guns for life.

My favorite is the pneumatic model 1162. I have three of them, two with the Lock-N-Lube nozzle. One was left with the regular nozzle for hard to get to places...like some of the Zerks on my chipper.

The particular feature on the 1162 (besides the quality) that I like is that holding down the trigger will continuously pump grease. There is nothing like a backhoe to eat grease.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Grease guns with the screw type bleeder are the way to go. Just make sure the bleeder is tight after changing the tube, or you'll come back the next day with the grease all over the floor :rolleyes: I've gone through several over the years, and most of the other styles end up getting chucked :D Even the Matco one I have at the house is a pain to bleed the air out.

The harbor freight are the worst though. I use a blue point continuous cycle pneumatic at work. Absolutely love it.

Here's a picture of the screw type bleeder I was talking about.

Last edited: