Tractor not getting much attention .

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Now that fall / winter is upon us and being that my tractor is used at my hunting camp property. I pretty much summed up all my chores with it for this year. I’d like to know if it is recommended or better for it , if I regularly start the tractor up and let it run a while. Or not? What do you OTT members do? I feel it would reenergize the battery and keep the fluids flowing . So it may be best to let run a while. I only make it up there like 2 weekends a month. Curious to see what other members do. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont know where camp is,, but if it was me she would come home. I have heard of to many things walking away, at camps. Boats, 4 wheelers, snow machines, canoe's, grills,, you get the idea.
And these were in areas that, have never been known as bad areas. Someone even hit the local ranger station a couple years back, cleaned the place out. It dont take them long once you have been targeted, and they know your camp is closed up for the winter.

BUT if your going to keep her there, a battery tender would be my first choice if you have power, mouse and rat packs every place,, yes chippers will take up home in it too. A good fuel stabilizer and a full tank of fuel,,that limits to much condensation

Also you might think about taking at least one wheel off her,, the rear would be a good choice, a real PIA for you, but at least somebody wont be able to drive it away.
I cant think of to much more I know somebody else will :D

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Do you have a block heater? what is your fuel mix? I use mine for snow moval so it's alway ready to rock.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
My Sierra sits outside and my Kubota occupies the other half of garage that my Wifes Rav4 does not. Insulated and heated.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
What Skeets said is real important, in my opinion. Most of these tractors use the same key. Also, I have turned the ignition of a neighbor's tractor with a screwdriver. So, they are real easy to start and just drive away with.

To address your question about starting it and leaving it run for awhile every couple of weeks, that is a good idea. If left out in the cold without starting and running the engine, condensation in the engine block will cause rust to form in the cylinders. Not to mention that condensation will also dilute and contaminate the oil. I run my tractor at about 2000 RPMs for about 20 to 30 minutes every 10 - 14 days in the winter. That is enough time to burn out all of the water that may form and circulates all of the fluids to keep things lubricated. I try to find some chore or task to perform but if my wife cannot come up with something for me to do, then I just run it.

One more very important item is to keep your fuel tank filled all the way to the top in the winter. This will help prevent water from collecting in the bottom of the fuel tank. I do one more step that you may or may not want to follow. I add 1 ounce of acetone to my fuel per every 3 gallons of diesel. The reason for this is that diesel fuel will collect water all by itself as a natural condition. The acetone absorbs water and helps keep water from forming at the bottom of the fuel tank. Some people use alcohol for the same reason but acetone actually absorbs more water than alcohol does. Acetone also burns better than alcohol in diesel fuel.

Anyway, just using common sense will go a long way. I am sure that you have a car or truck that you care about just as much as you do your tractor, Just treat your tractor as well as you do your other vehicles and you will be okay.

jbbepic

Jan 11, 2017
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated. I’ll keep her running as I can and when I get up there. Find more things to do with the tractor as well to keep it moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
Change the oil and park it with a full tank and battery minder. 32 years and counting. L2250 under a tarp outside, B8200 in unheated storage building. I don’t use biodiesel thought, just personal preference.

Last edited:

Pat T

Aug 7, 2017
Albion
I don’t use biodiesel thought, just personal preference./QUOTE]

Lots of great advice here, but this one is huge. I'm a farmer, but the biodiesel deal is the biggest scam pushed out on the end users in 20 years. All it does is attract water and foul the fuel system. I'm still dealing with a Case 400 I stupidly put this stuff in three years ago.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not sure it's the right way, but my I never started my Harley Davidson during cold storage at all.

I kept it on a battery tender all winter, but never turned it over.

My theory was that it would never get to full operating temperatures, and would build up some crap in the crankcase.