Tractor advice for hunting land

kidkubota

Jan 5, 2018
Burnsville, MN, USA
Hey kubota people! I'm doing my research on tractors and landed on Kubota! I've done all the comparisons possible on you tube and I just dig Kubotas. My question is: Has anyone had a B3350 and a L3901? These are the 2 I'm deciding between. I'm not looking for specs but practical use advice. I recently purchased 40 acres in northen Minnesota. I've been doing trails by hand and I'm getting tired of it. I'm wondering if I can maintain a 4-wheeler sized trail with either of these tractors without making it 8 feet wide. the plan is to take the loader off when I bush hog. 40 acres isn't all that big and I don't want to turn it into a series of highways. I'm guessing the B3350 will be more nimble in the woods but I like the size and stability of the L3901.

Also I'm finding conflicting reports on whether Kubota has really fixed the emissions problem on the B3350. If anyone has any insite on this I'd love to hear it. I don't want to go to the B2650 because I'm hoping to be buying 1 tractor!!

Thanks, Jeremy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Stay away from the B3350!!!!
They still are reported to have Emissions related issues.

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hey kubota people! I'm doing my research on tractors and landed on Kubota! I've done all the comparisons possible on you tube and I just dig Kubotas. My question is: Has anyone had a B3350 and a L3901? These are the 2 I'm deciding between. I'm not looking for specs but practical use advice. I recently purchased 40 acres in northen Minnesota. I've been doing trails by hand and I'm getting tired of it. I'm wondering if I can maintain a 4-wheeler sized trail with either of these tractors without making it 8 feet wide. the plan is to take the loader off when I bush hog. 40 acres isn't all that big and I don't want to turn it into a series of highways. I'm guessing the B3350 will be more nimble in the woods but I like the size and stability of the L3901.

Also I'm finding conflicting reports on whether Kubota has really fixed the emissions problem on the B3350. If anyone has any insite on this I'd love to hear it. I don't want to go to the B2650 because I'm hoping to be buying 1 tractor!!

Thanks, Jeremy

Jeremy - I have an M5-111 but want a smaller Kubota with a backhoe as well so I was considering a B2650 a B3350 and an L3901. My dealer has flat out told me he will not sell me a B3350 due to all the problems he has experienced with this specific model. So I am now between a B2650 and an L3901.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I was told the same thing as well. I had two dealers tell me they wouldn't sell me a B3350, and they had several sitting on their lots...maybe an L2501 would suit you needs?

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
On a positive note, I have a 3901 and haven't had any problems at all in the
last three years. We don't get very cold though. It is fine for cutting/maintaining
walking trails in our dense woods, and I find it very easy to turn sharply, especially
in four wheel drive mode. I have left the bucket on, since I don't want to mess with
taking it off, and still have no problems. YMMV.

I use a 60 inch brush hog.

kidkubota

Jan 5, 2018
Burnsville, MN, USA
Don't all tractors over 26 hp have the same emission system? don't they all do a regen? What is it about that specific model? it sucks because for that size the power should be perfect. I'm not sure the 2650 will be enough with the logging and brush cutting that I'll be doing, at least til I get the trails done.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Don't all tractors over 26 hp have the same emission system? don't they all do a regen? What is it about that specific model? it sucks because for that size the power should be perfect. I'm not sure the 2650 will be enough with the logging and brush cutting that I'll be doing, at least til I get the trails done.
Tractors over 26 hp have to meet the same emissions standards, but the way they do it is not the same. Kubotas above that hp at the moment all have some kind of dpf filter and regen process, but the 3350 has a different engine and different regen strategy from the L01 series and the L60 series. Most of the latter 2 are doing just fine. I have had an L3560 for 3 years and no problems so far with regens. I also have a B2650 and it is a very capable little tractor. I think frame size and loader are about the same as the B3350. I agree avoid the B3350 in cold climates.

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Like Sheepfarmer, I have an L3560 albeit 40 hours on it at 6 months old. The reason I'm posting is Bc I originally looked at the smaller tractor and my wise old farmer buddy mentioned that he was in a similar conundrum when he was young; he ended up with the smaller tractor Bc he felt he didn't need a larger one. Sold it a few years later Bc he actually did. You will never wish for less tractor. And mine does a beautiful job cutting nice, subtle trails - and I leave my FEL on Bc I put a piranha toothbar on it so I can move brush too. Just wanted to share that end of the story so ur ultimately the happiest you can be!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to go along with jr,, get all the tractor you can afford,, wish I would have

kidkubota

Jan 5, 2018
Burnsville, MN, USA
It's not so much about affording it. I just liked the idea of a smaller footprint. The more I look at the brochures the more I m realizing they aren't all that different in size. But I do like the fit and finish of the B2650. I wish the L series had the same fit and finish as the Big B series. Just sucks that they cant get B3350 ironed out. This would be the perfect tractor for me. I started looking at the BX series now I'm at the L series. Kinda how I ended up with a Harley!!! "no honey the kawasaki will be the only bike I want" Guys gotta have his toys, right?

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
lol I also failed to mention that my L 3560 really does leave a small footprint. And then when I needed to do Big work it's able to do that. I did a lot of clearing on one of my farms for hunting trails. Basically I use the FEL for clearing (toothbar is unreal at ripping) and sometimes I will use the bushhog to do trails. It's surprisingly "low profile" as the trails go - it does not look like a superhighway but rather intimate. And I'm a VERY low pressure hunter and kill big deer off this farm every year. This year I picked up another lease where I needed the extra tractor that mine affords, so this was when I was glad I got the bigger model. I don't think the L3560 is that much bigger is it?

Droptine

Equipment
L3560, snow blower, tiller, disc, box blade, landscape rake, IH56 planter
Feb 10, 2017
Outagamie WI USA
Hi guys - I was in a similar position last year, looking for an upgrade from the New Holland TC33 I had for 15 years. Nothing wrong with the tractor I had, just was ready for a sub-frame mounted backhoe and their weren't great options for the TC33. I started looking at the L33 and L39...my dealer recommended the L3560. I'm very happy he did - it did cost a little more, but I'm amazed by the extra hydraulic power and overall pulling power. I even took advantage of the skid steer mount on the loader and bought forks with the tractor (along with a bucket)...very easy to interchange and I'm always using the forks for moving box stands brush piles and logs. Long story short, think about what you might need 5 years from now and buy the right tractor. Good luck...Very happy to have joined the Kubota family last year.

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA

Thanks, Jeremy
I just bought an L3901 and was warned off the B3350 by the dealer. I've got similar size land and usage. The footprint is very similar. The other thing that got me to go with the L3901 is around 30 hp at the PTO. That seems to be a common hp breakpoint for attachments intended for CUTs vs SCUTs. For me, that means more power for a brush hog, skidding winch, chipper, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have 40 acres of woods and the L3901DT works great in the woods. I have been using it a lot this last couple of week without any problems in the cold. It was around 10F the other day when I was cutting wood and used the Kubota to haul the logs up to my shed to block them up and split them.

kidkubota

Jan 5, 2018
Burnsville, MN, USA
Hi guys - I was in a similar position last year, looking for an upgrade from the New Holland TC33 I had for 15 years. Nothing wrong with the tractor I had, just was ready for a sub-frame mounted backhoe and their weren't great options for the TC33. I started looking at the L33 and L39...my dealer recommended the L3560. I'm very happy he did - it did cost a little more, but I'm amazed by the extra hydraulic power and overall pulling power. I even took advantage of the skid steer mount on the loader and bought forks with the tractor (along with a bucket)...very easy to interchange and I'm always using the forks for moving box stands brush piles and logs. Long story short, think about what you might need 5 years from now and buy the right tractor. Good luck...Very happy to have joined the Kubota family last year.
Dang....why did you mention the 3560?????? i just watched a few you tube videos and that looks lik the ticket!! The fit and finish I want in a little bigger tractor. You're pretty good at spending my money......

jryser

Jun 7, 2017
Plainfield
Sorry!!! But I'll tell u this. No lie. My WIFE said "I'm glad you got the 3560 - I just feel like you are safer on it!"

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Kidkubota, I've always been partial to the L models myself. But then I grew up with one :D

We used an L2250Dt with fel, on 100 acres. Tractor handled everything we threw at it and then some. Logged tons of fire wood in the winter with a logging winch. Mowed 60 acres of fields for folks in the summer, ran a pto driven log splitter, graded roads, Bush hogged logging roads, hauled sap from the sugar works, and tilled gardens.

The B2650 is about the same HP as the L2250. The L3901 and the B2650 will both do what you are looking to do.

One bit of advise as far as maintaining trails. I always left the Fel on the L2250 when Bush hogging our logging roads. Grass would get pretty high before we would get a chance to run around the logging roads with the Bush hog. I ran the fel low to the ground to scare up any surprises such as downed limbs, trees, and such that the grass was hiding. Plus, if I did scare up a downed tree or large limb, I could just use the fel to shove it out of the way and go on with the mowing :D