Towing with L3901

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
Hey Kubota Guys

I want to pull a small trailer for hay rack ride. I have an L3901 HST. Can I just put a ball on the tow bar that sticks out from rear of tractor and attach safety chain or do I need to do something different.

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hey Kubota Guys

I want to pull a small trailer for hay rack ride. I have an L3901 HST. Can I just put a ball on the tow bar that sticks out from rear of tractor and attach safety chain or do I need to do something different.

Thanks
The ball on the lower tow bar hitch will be fine, never use on the 3 point for towing, due to the trailers ability to rise up! (unless you have limiters on the 3 point)

As for towing - you can pull a whole lot of weight! Butttttt .....pulling that up an incline is dangerous - and going down a slight hillside is MORE dangerous!

That tractor will pull a mountain, just make sure it doenst have to pull it up a hill - or have to brake it going down a hill! Most tractors pulling power far exceeds it's braking power! Having a HST is the best braking to have too!

Staples

Equipment
L3190 Now, Sold the L2950, Rotary Cutter, Box Blade, Disc
May 24, 2015
Panama City, FL
www.facebook.com
------> 85Hokie: Can you expand your point about never using the 3 point to tow? I plan on doing the same thing but intended on using my 3 point to tow; however, I do want to be safe.

Grandad4

Equipment
1949 Farmall M, previously owned: L 4610, BX 2230
Apr 5, 2016
Greensboro, NC
Here's the issue with safety when using the 3 point for towing: tractor 3 point hitches are made for lifting, not pushing down. So the 3 point will hold something from hitting the ground, but it won't prevent it from rising up! That can be a bad thing with the tongue of a trailer, for example. You can prove this to yourself by going out to your tractor and pushing down or lifting up on the 3 point (engine off, of course).

You can make it safe by connecting a safety chain between the drawbar and the lower 3 point arms to prevent the arms from lifting while trailering.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You say a "small trailer". What's your definition of a small trailer? Does you trailer have a ball on the tongue, or a split hitch?

Does your trailer have a swinging draw bar? Looks like this https://tiscoparts.com/part-categories/hitch-and-linkage/drawbar/swinging-drawbars.html

This is the ideal place to hook a trailer to. You can put a ball in the outer most hole and hook you trailer to it, or if it's a split tongue put a pin in the draw bar and pin with a safety pin.

Have your tractor in four wheel drive so you have better braking while pulling...just stay off of asphalt roads.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Sorta of loaded question! Since we don't know or have pictures of the hitch area on the trailer.

If it's a ball type hitch on the trailer than yes you can mount a ball (correct ball and shank size) on the drawbar.

Or if the trailer has an implement hitch or clevis, can be used with a draw pin.

Safety chain is a great call also!

Clevis style

draw pin.

Pat

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
Great advice, I plan on doing the same with my 3540. 12 or 16 foot trailer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
Yes the trailer has a receiver for a ball. I pull it with my truck but want to use the tractor as well. I will purchase the correct ball size and mount it in the outer hole of draw bar.

Thanks All