Towing with a half ton

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Should be no issue with the truck, the trailer may be on the light side.
I tow my B3200 with a FEL & BH with my 1500 series GMC, but just upgraded to a 10,000 LB trailer, the 7000 Lb just didn't feel right.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How many of you guys tow your machine with a half ton? I have a L3200 and a 17' 7k trailer. I have never had to move it, what do you think?

what cha got under the hood? Even a good v6 or I6 will be fine, just make sure you have brakes on that trailer!!!! And use a hitch - never the bumper and ball setup.....

Damn near any truck will move a trailer, it is STOPPING it that causes the problems. I have towed a 12' single axle loaded with 2k of "stuff" - 4 cyl 5 speed and I could make it move and hold at 50 mph......I made real sure that I could down shift and use the brakes slowly.......I would not do that again!

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I have an L2501 on a 10,000 lb trailer and tow it all the time with a 2009 Ford F150 with 4.6 engine. I have a 3.73 limited slip axle and trailer tow package but the little 4.6 engine handles the tractor fine.

sula bob

Equipment
2005 L3830 with back hoe, FEL with grapple
Apr 16, 2015
Samsula, Fl
I've got a L3830 and my '11 Silverado 1500 5.3 tows it just fine on a 12k deck over trailer. I usually tow it with the grapple, bucket and backhoe. I wouldn't dare do it without trailer brakes though. That's asking for trouble.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
My cousin uses his 1/2 ton Chevy to pulls a 20' 10,000lb trailer with an L3830 with a fel and 6' rotary mower up and down a steep 3 mile private road in the mountain's. Of course his truck is set up for it.

And YES, trailer breaks are a must.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Wow, no kidding- I am sorry I should have said what I was running. It is a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3. It does have the tow package with a trailer brake controller. Sounds like good advise. Maybe I will keep my eyes open for a 10k trailer. This one is a little on the short side anyway. I have been tossing around the idea of a new 2500HD, but dam... I hate to spend that kind of money on a truck. Life is hard on them up here in Maine with all the crap we put on the roads to keep them clear in the winter. Thanks for all the input. I guess I should not be so paranoid, I guess I am just trying to put safety first.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Wow, no kidding- I am sorry I should have said what I was running. It is a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3. It does have the tow package with a trailer brake controller. Sounds like good advise. Maybe I will keep my eyes open for a 10k trailer. This one is a little on the short side anyway. I have been tossing around the idea of a new 2500HD, but dam... I hate to spend that kind of money on a truck. Life is hard on them up here in Maine with all the crap we put on the roads to keep them clear in the winter. Thanks for all the input. I guess I should not be so paranoid, I guess I am just trying to put safety first.
I got an 09 Sierra 1500 extended cab with tow package. It's perfect for hauling my l1501 with implements. I have a 16ft tandem axle with a 7000lb gvw. Wife started looking at campers :eek: Now for what she keeps looking at, I wished we opted for the mortgage payment and bought the 2500 duramax :rolleyes:

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
I wished we opted for the mortgage payment and bought the 2500 duramax :rolleyes:
I have an 03 2500 Duramax and love it, keep looking at a new one...the mortgage is the killer. I think unlike a tractor it is hard to have too much truck.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Most trucks now days have plenty of motor to pull, the problem is having the suspension and brakes to handle the load.

My advise if you're going to tow with a 1/2 ton truck is get a 10K trailer with brakes on both axles. That way you can position the tractor on the trailer so it can carry the weight and have the braking power to help you stop.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I brought my B7610 home on a 7K trailer with brakes. My 11' F150 with 5.0 was less than stellar at towing. Going over Hogs-Back Mtn in VT was awful with my motor screaming to keep 45 mph. Very long 3 hours....

It was the single reason I dumped the truck. Been looking for a Super Duty or 2500HD to replace it...

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
That sounds like some good advise. I think I will do just that. I will post my 7k tomorrow. It ought to be worth 1500 bucks... thank you everybody.
Think that on through for a minute. Tractordata says an L3200 4WD weighs about 2600lbs. A 7K trailer ought to be good for around 5K lbs I'd guess, so you've already got plenty of trailer. A 10K trailer is only going to be heavier, especially if you go longer.

I'd look more at the pickup than the trailer if the primary use is going to be hauling the tractor. A good brake controller and some airbags for starters.

Chew

Aug 5, 2014
Centerville, Tx
Has anyone towed anything close to a l3400, 20' trailer (I think it's 7k axles), FEL, shredder, with the f150 5.0 engine? I know it's not optimal but just curious about the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hitechredneck

Equipment
L2501, Land Pride Rotary Cutter, Woods tiller, FEL, Dirt Dog box scraper
Sep 21, 2015
Belton, SC
I'm surprised no one has mentioned GCWR ratings. Every truck manufacturer publishes ratings for GCWR (maximum weight for truck, loaded trailer, passengers, and cargo in the truck). There will also be a rating for maximum loaded trailer weight, which will vary by transmission and gear ratio. This should be the authority on whether a truck is good for a given load or not, not information from a forum. If you exceed GCWR and get in an accident, guess what?
Or if you exceed maximum loaded trailer weight and end up breaking your truck, your warranty would likely be void.
Seriously folks, find out what these ratings are for your vehicle and follow them.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Has anyone towed anything close to a l3400, 20' trailer (I think it's 7k axles), FEL, shredder, with the f150 5.0 engine? I know it's not optimal but just curious about the results.

Will it pull it, probably. Will it stop it, maybe. Does it have enough suspension for that load, I don't think so.

I hauled a 8000 lb skid steer home with my F150 one time. That was the dumbest thing I ever did because I didn't come close to having enough truck for that much weight. I went to my friends house and got his Dodge 3500 and gooseneck to take it back.

I have about the same setup you mentioned. If that's the only way I had to tow as long as the trailer had good brakes I guess I would but to be perfectly honest in my opinion that's not enough truck.

Chew

Aug 5, 2014
Centerville, Tx
Thanks for the input. I only need to tow a few times a year. I will be in the market for a new truck soon. Just researching. Leaning towards the ram 2500 with 6.4l hemi at this point

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Chew, the hemi will help but the bigger brakes and heavier the suspension is what will make the difference. When I switched to a F250 it was like opening a whole new world. You'll appreciate the change even if it's only a few times a year.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
Just my .02$, but I think you should be fine if only towing a few times a year. I pulled what was claimed as a 1/2 towable Travel Trailer some with a 1/2 Hemi. The TT weighed in around 7,500 partially loaded, and I had a good break controller, and anti-sway, load balancing hitch, and was able to pull it fine, except for one thing - fuel mileage.

The Hemi, or any gas motor, has to be revved decently high to make good HP, and while I got 20+ mpg on highway unloaded, when pulling the TT my mileage would drop to as low as 5 or 6 mpg. That stinks with only a 22 gallon tank.

Upgrading to the 2500 is great in regards to stopping, and GVW, but it is not going to solve the HP and torque issues. I ponied up to the 2500 diesel, and think the $7500 extra I paid for the diesel is worth every penny. I've pulled a M5640 on heavy duty trailer behind my Cummins and still got 14 mpg.

Regardless, as others have said, if you are going to be pulling a load, there are lots of factors to be considered. Tongue weight, gross vehicle (which include you and passengers), stopping, HP, etc. Heck, my Hemi was claimed to have a tow capacity of 11,400 pounds. Maybe so, but it would have been a traveling nightmare!